Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Newb need help.

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  matzhinrichs 
#1 ·
hello everyone. im new to this forum. i was planning on trading in my LX450 for a Mercedes Benz. the only problem is, im not too sure what to get. im looking at 2 totaly different class of MBs. i have a choice of C36 AMG or an E420. they're both 1997 and roughly about thesame price. i like them both and have alot of great plans for them. im just not sure which one would be a better investment. they are both pretty close when it comes to performance(thats from what i've read) so im not really sure how to base my decision on. can you guys give me some suggestions or offer a piece of your mind. thanx in advance

#2 ·
Hi!

In my opinion, you cannot compare the C36 and the E430 like this.
The C36 is a 4 door sports car with a rough suspension, a back-kicking punch on the throttle and a need for serious maintenance investment.
The E430 is a sedan for travelling long distances in short time. It is not a race car. If you drive it full throttle from traffic light to traffic light, the drivetrain will be wrecked in no time.
The maintenance for the 430 is a bit cheaper, but still on a V8 level. Gas consumption is quite high, mine used up to 22 literes / 100 Km on european (mostly german) highways. I would recommend to go for a 1998 S 430 as with this one you do not lose so much money reselling it.

I would go for the E430 though if only the two cars mentioned are the choice as it is the better alrounder. The c36 is quite small inside and too rough in everyday driving for my taste.

Hope this is of help.

Mathias

#3 ·
matzhinrichs - 12/22/2005 5:59 AM

Hi!

In my opinion, you cannot compare the C36 and the E430 like this.
The C36 is a 4 door sports car with a rough suspension, a back-kicking punch on the throttle and a need for serious maintenance investment.
The E430 is a sedan for travelling long distances in short time. It is not a race car. If you drive it full throttle from traffic light to traffic light, the drivetrain will be wrecked in no time.
The maintenance for the 430 is a bit cheaper, but still on a V8 level. Gas consumption is quite high, mine used up to 22 literes / 100 Km on european (mostly german) highways. I would recommend to go for a 1998 S 430 as with this one you do not lose so much money reselling it.

I would go for the E430 though if only the two cars mentioned are the choice as it is the better alrounder. The c36 is quite small inside and too rough in everyday driving for my taste.

Hope this is of help.

Mathias
what do you mean by C36 needs a serious mentainance investment? does it have alot of problems or something? from what i've read, E420 gets better gas milage than the E430. is it true? i've considered getting an S class too but it seems like its too big and E class has best of both worlds, speed with size and comfort? by the way didnt S430 came out after '98? did you mean S420? am i right with that statement? but i like the C36 aswell for performance reasons but if i have to shell out alot of $$ just to mentain(break downs and such..) that would be just sad for an AMG vehicle

#4 ·
what do you mean by C36 needs a serious mentainance investment? does it have alot of problems or something?

-> I do not have information about specific problems of this model.
The higher maintenance results from the more expensive parts (brake discs, suspension, engine parts, exhaust.....).
Some tuned vehicles have absolutely packed engine compartments, which makes maintenance more expensive in terms of working hours. Comparing the service records of an E 55 and an E430 (both W210) I learned the difference can be up to 30%.

from what i've read, E420 gets better gas milage than the E430. is it true?

-> I talked to a friend about this issue. He owned both of them and said, the E430 has better torque and so can be driven more constantly with less shifts. This can lead to a better gas mileage in the end.

i've considered getting an S class too but it seems like its too big and E class has best of both worlds, speed with size and comfort?

-> I also prefer the E as maintenance is cheaper.
The S420 (W140) is big and completely unsporty. The next generation is much nicer to drive.

It also makes a lot of sense to think a minute about the tires. The W140 needs a new set each 30.000 Km. The newer model makes 40-50.000 Km on one set.
The E makes 50-60.000 Km. The C AMG should be the same. BUT: watch out for the price! The AMGs have sports-tries that cost a lot more than the standard 215/16 from the E.
The 235ers for the W140 can cost up to 1.600 € a set.
A set of 215 for the E cost about 600 € a set....

by the way didnt S430 came out after '98? did you mean S420?

-> in terms of S class, I would go for the newer model that started in ´97/´98.

am i right with that statement? but i like the C36 aswell for performance reasons but if i have to shell out alot of $$ just to mentain(break downs and such..) that would be just sad for an AMG vehicle

-> Frankly speaking: AMG tuned cars you buy new, not used. You do not know what the preowner did to the car. Sporty cars are sporty driven sometimes...
I would go for an E 430 with one businessman pre owner and a spotless maintenance record.

The AMGs only make sense for people who drive 90% on the german "Autobahn". I do so but I got an E 320 CDI T W210 now which I love for a performance similar to the one of the E 430 and a gas consumption of 9-11 L Diesel / 100km. My E 430 used 13 - 22 L Super / 100 Km.....

One more thing: hands off the 4 matics: gas consumption is another 10 - 20% higher and the little additional traction isn´t worth the effort.

Greetz,

Mathias

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.