post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Dec 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mrbobhope
(Thread Starter)
best extended warranty

Hi all im about to step into a '03 s500 4matic and im gonna need an extended warr., question of course is which is best? what are other benz owners using and how happy are they with them? can anyone help me out?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 08:55 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 2000 S500
RE: best extended warranty

I have been very happy with the folks with American Mercury. I had a 1995 S500 Coupe that cost them quite a bit of $$$ and they were never unreasonable. One time they sent a guy to insoect something that looked (to them..) like something they had recently repaired.

I have a new (to me..) 2000 S500 that I opted for their 36 month 36000 mile 'Platinum" coverage for around $2400. No co-pay.

While you can find them on the Internet from various "dealers", this warranty is supposed to be from dealers and credit unions. Most independents probably carry it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 10:33 AM
BenzWorld Veteran
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: None

Get the warrenty with the most coverage and for the longest duration, you're going to need it.

Good luck with your new purchase.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 05:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Keep in mind that warranty companies aren't in business to lose money. In the long run, they will make money on the warranties they sell. I've never been a fan of extended warranties on anything. These cars with all the electronics are causing me to rethink that, but so far I'm still of the mind that I'm putting my $2400 away and will self insure, but I also try to do most of my own work.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 11:18 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: C280 Sport

Often the complicated and expensive electronics are excluded from coverage. If you have below 75K mi., you will be able to purchase an exclusionary plan. Exclusionary is what you want because instead of listing what is covered, it lists what is not covered. Therefore as long as your broken part is not on the exclusionary list, it is covered. Also, make sure that a part is covered even if an uncovered part caused the failure of the covered part.
In general, the 2003 models have had probs with electronics.

Admit it, we all have a little bit of Eric Cartman in us.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 09:34 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 03SL55AMG,2008 F430spider

you have to be the saying goes...buyer beware...all extended warranties are not equal... some of the garages,dealers dont honor...i.e you pay upfront and then file for reimbursement... most warranty company needs approval for any job to be done and so on and times it is very difficult so the best advice is check with your local garage /dealer where you get your car repaired ...which company they deal with ...
wishing you Happy Holidays and best wishes for the New Year
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 11:29 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 03' SL500

Without a doubt I would have to recommend a policy from Courtesy Motors in CA. They sell DaimlerChrysler policies for cars under 75k. I purchased a 3 year 50k mile additional policy for my 01 E55 and it covers everything the factory warranty does including all electronics. I chose a $100 deductible option. This means it’s a total of $100 out of pocket for ALL repairs done at one shop visit. Additionally you can use the repair shop of your choice including “Stealerships�. In these first six months it’s paid for itself with no trouble. My local dealership is amazed at the ease with which the warranty company OK’s payment. No paperwork on my side at all. So far I’ve had the following items repaired or replaced with no problem: MAF, radio, driver’s seat frame and instrument cluster. The person to contact would be Jay Park at 530-893-1300 or Any questions drop me an email. Good luck.
Glenn B
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 09:04 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 2001 C320

One never knows if an extended warranty is truly needed. Like having auto insurance, it is a peace of mind. MB repairs can be very expensive, and for the cost of an extended warranty plan it is well worth the investment.

When I bought my extended warranty, I shopped the Internet and 5 local MB dealerships. Many of the policies from the Internet were not available in California. I settled with a 5 year/100K mileage plan from Mercury offered by Keyes European. I have a $0 deductable if the repairs are done there, else it is $100. I paid $2120 for this Platinum policy.

2001 Mercedes C320
2001 BMW 325i
1975 Dodge B200 w/ slant six
1960 Ford Ranchero
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: