How much cache does your car have -- where you live? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RE: How much cachet does your car have -- where you live?

Hey, BD.

For those who are multilingual, all grammar and spelling rules are suspended. [:)]

After all, English is one of the most convoluted languages there is, so particularly if it's not your first, it's a beast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 12:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
RE: How much cache does your car have -- where you live?

I am in Kentucky which has several of the most poverty prone regions of the country and yet there are benz of all ages driving around everywhere. Here in Lexington (350,000) which is considered "the Horse Capitol of the World" (but who really knows) you see E and S models everywhere. When I drove a 2000 E320 I felt out of place since most were either 430 or 55 or S lines. Now, there are 10 G55's wandering around town and more ML55's that I can count.

Going back to older cars, a lot of horse farm owners still drive their W126 and W124 cars. We have 4 specialty shops that do nothing but that gen of benz and I have a hard time getting in to any of them when a problem comes up.

I was at the dealer two weeks ago and there were 5 SL55/65 either in the shop or hanging around the dealer for something and two on the lot for sale. They are sold now.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 01:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 1990 300E, 2002 ML500
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Boone, North Carolina. Have a 1990 300E and a 2002 ML500.

We mainly see M-Classes, the W163, only one or two W164s. There is an S55 AMG and a W210 E55 AMG here. If you venture into downtown Blowing Rock you see quite a few S-Classes and some newer and older E-Classes. There are also a few early 80s, one I know is a biodesiel.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 02:29 PM
SSL
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: R107 300SL; 1990 500SL (R129);2001 R170 230SLK
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I have a `97 W140 S500L and a `88 R107 300SL and I own each of them for very different reasons.

Even though it passed into obsolescence seven years ago and is relatively cheap to buy the W140 still generates mixed reactions from other road users. Some absolutely loathe it whilst others are in awe of it but out on the road it still commands absolute respect and I am rarely, if ever, intimidated or bullied by other drivers. More often even the most aggressive of drivers keep a respectful distance from the car until I pull over. Usually then it is some other unfortunate who has to deal with the inevitable tail-gating that follows. Does the W140 have a certain cachet? No idea but I love it.

Today the R107 is an icon but once it definitely held a certain cachet for a particular type of buyer. Now, when it comes out of my garage on a sunny day people tend to appreciate it for what it really is. A superb piece of automotive engineering wrapped in a beautiful and timeless body. It`s a car that puts a smile on mine and other people`s faces.

So,I consider myself very lucky. I own two outstanding MBs both from the golden era of DB and which when new I could never have afforded to buy. They are both stuffed with character and quality and their like will never be seen again.

The final bonus is that out there amongst the As and Bs and Cs,C-COUPES and CLKs and Es and Ms and CLSs and Rs these older Mercs are a constant reminder of what DB once stood for and therein lies their cachet.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 02:32 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1993 300CE Cabriolet
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to imon_2nd

[8D]

Hello Greg,

There are plenty of M-Bs in our neighborhood and around Sacramento, but not as many per square mile as there are in the San Francisco Bay area about 90 miles west of here.

In the 20 years I've lived in Northern California, I've only seen a handfull of 300 Series cabriolets. If there's another one on the road around Sacramento, I haven't noticed yet. I do get lots of second-take looks from other M-B drivers.

Cheers!

Dave
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 04:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Not many here in West Michigan. I just saw a W220 S500 today. I see a W163 every week or so. Seems to be the same person. I see quite a few W124 and W126's here. They seem to be visitors, like from a couple of cities away, going to the new mall here. Other than that we are 1 out of 2 Mercedes' in town.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 04:24 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

I live farm country NW of the metro Milwaukee area.
When I lived in he "North Shore" area next to Lake Michigan there tons of higher end autos/SUVs. They were more common than all other vehicles.

Now I see a few MBs of various flavors. But mostly domestic pickup trucks, domestic cars and a lot of Accords, Camrys etc...
So out here the W163 is sort of rare. I know of about 5 others in a county that has about 150k residents. There are probably a few more.

My W124 is a more common. I have seen a couple of dozen around this county.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 05:59 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Vehicle: CLK

Quote:
Benz Devil - 12/15/2005 12:04 PM

Quote:
gregs210 - 12/15/2005 8:11 AM

To those of you with the quick eye, I realize I misspelled cachet. Of course I can't edit it, so it will be there for all eternity, or at least until the hard drive crashes.

That's what I get for posting late at night when I should be sleeping. Or maybe I'd been reading too much in the OT forum, which has more poor grammar and badly spelled words than the others. :)

Thanks,
Greg
Yeah, I hear you. The Off-Topic forum is mess.
Even many times posts in Off-Topic forum is not only off the grammar and spelling, but off the original subject.
Remember, it is Off-Topic.[:D]

Well, I may contribute some. Sry…[V]

Anyhow, wish I you guys could understand my grammar error occasionally. English is not my first language.
[:)]
Hey sometimes i feel the same way but i can speak it better than i can write it ne ways I have a W208 and I'm located in norther Virginia wich is 5 minuts of Washington DC, and let me tell you there is a lot people with my car but not young guys mostly old people and there is a lot racist in here as well. Every time a go somewhere and if i look to suspecious always get pull over by the pigs if i stick my arm out the windown and they get to see my tattos will def.. get me pull over I really hate Virginia. But you know im still here with my head up.[8D]
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 06:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
acbenz - 12/15/2005 7:59 PM

Quote:
Benz Devil - 12/15/2005 12:04 PM

Quote:
gregs210 - 12/15/2005 8:11 AM

To those of you with the quick eye, I realize I misspelled cachet. Of course I can't edit it, so it will be there for all eternity, or at least until the hard drive crashes.

That's what I get for posting late at night when I should be sleeping. Or maybe I'd been reading too much in the OT forum, which has more poor grammar and badly spelled words than the others. :)

Thanks,
Greg
Yeah, I hear you. The Off-Topic forum is mess.
Even many times posts in Off-Topic forum is not only off the grammar and spelling, but off the original subject.
Remember, it is Off-Topic.[:D]

Well, I may contribute some. Sry…[V]

Anyhow, wish I you guys could understand my grammar error occasionally. English is not my first language.
[:)]
Hey sometimes i feel the same way but i can speak it better than i can write it ne ways I have a W208 and I'm located in norther Virginia wich is 5 minuts of Washington DC, and let me tell you there is a lot people with my car but not young guys mostly old people and there is a lot racist in here as well. Every time a go somewhere and if i look to suspecious always get pull over by the pigs if i stick my arm out the windown and they get to see my tattos will def.. get me pull over I really hate Virginia. But you know im still here with my head up.[8D]
Someimtes we get the same thing here in Michigan.

When we went to Maryland to visit my dad's friend he joked about his wifed getting pulled over by the cops because they thought she might have stolen their S430.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 06:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005

huntington beach, California.

I see a lot of mb's here. Except for some reason, i don't see too many w124's and the w140's.

My cars:

BLACK 1996 S500 (W140) - Sold

BURGUNDY 1989 560 SEL (W126) - Sold

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in