post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 11:50 PM
nsw
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 04 E320 4Matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: WHY MERCEDES??

I used to have a 1994 C220 which I traded in for a E-320 4-Matic in 2004. On the day I handed over my C220 to the dealer for the trade in, it had gathered more than 160,000kms on itself but it still ran more or less like just bought. Yes, it had had its share of reliability problems but all(or all the important ones)had been fixed by the dealer. Up keeping was expensive though. The important thing is that it did feel fresh, substantial, composed and energetic up to the moment I gave it up. I do hope to have a chance to drive it again though I know in reality it is impossible. I am sure there are lots of Mecedes owners who can tell a similar story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 01:56 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 2001 E320, 'Lord Vader'

Hi,
I've owned a 1990 300e since this past July and it replaced a 2003 Civic that came off lease. I leased the Honda new, took good care of it, and must say that the 16 year old 300e rode better, ran better, and was just all around better than the 3 year old Civic. The workmanship and quality that goes into these vehicles clearly is superior. Some might argue that the newer models aren't as good but I'd venture to say they're still miles ahead of most any other car you'd want to buy. I've already put 12000 miles on the 300e and it runs like a top.

While it's true that it costs a bit more to maintain a Benz, that's strictly because you're going to get a whole lot longer service out of it.

Good luck!
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 02:16 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2005

I just switched from a 2000 A6 2.7T to a 2002 C32 AMG and after a few weeks, I come away feeling that the Mercedes has better fundamental engineering than the Audi. I loved the Audi's interior. It was and is superior in materials, appearance and layout. No doubt, Audi has mastered interiors. The Benz seems stuck with some old-school interior quirks and switches, and not much to impress.

On the road, it just seems like the Benz is a better machine. To an extent, it comes from the design philosophy. Audi starts with a front-wheel-drive architecture upgraded to AWD. That's a compromise in weight distribution and it forces the engine way out front, which affects the look of the car. The Benz is designed as RWD from day one and that yields a better balance. Audi is a subsidiary of Volkswagen, and a lot of the smaller and bigger hardware is shared between models. Some of it is fine, and some is not. Everything in a Benz is Benz.

Last is the image. I always identified closely with the Audi image and I was an Audi owner starting in 1992. Back then Audi in the US was an odd-duck. It really had a small following, and nobody had any strong pre-conceived impressions of the car. So people saw it for what it was -- and that was positive. Driving one made me feel smart and independent. Audi still lacks a clear image in the US, but it is more popular now.

Benz is the "old money" brand, but is also catching on as the "new money trying to look like old money" brand. That's too bad because I'd prefer to drive a car that's got less image-baggage. I'm honestly a little embarrassed to tell people what I drive because as a white male professional, I think it makes me look like a snob. But 350HP is what sold me on the car, and that makes it easier to live with the image! Other cars I considered:

> Audi S6 avant
> Saab 9-2 (basically a Subaru)
> Pontiac GTO (it's all about the HP)

I deeply respect BMWs, but their image in the US is contrary to everything that I stand for.
post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 02:28 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 2001 E320, 'Lord Vader'

OrangeMarlin,
I can see why you like the Audi's. One of my first cars was a '74 Audi Fox, drove a '78 5000 through college. Neither one ever let me down; I think they're just about as good as a Benz, but not quite after now owning my first one.

Enjoy!
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 02:37 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1993 300CE Cabriolet
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to imon_2nd

[8D]

Hi Ali,

Looks like you've got plenty of answers from a very biased group. I doubt anybody would be on this forum who didn't like M-B. My story is a little different.

Although I've driven many M-Bs over the past 40 years, my current daily driver is the first one I've owned. Most of my cars have been 2-seater ragtops, some of them classics. But ever since we started having kids, I've had move on to bigger cars. With a wife and three kids, there isn't a single convertible model in production that will legally hold the entire family. The best I can do is buy a 4-seater, and most of those are really 2+2s like the Mustang.

My previous car was a 1998 Chrysler Sebring, but it started to wear out after only 85K miles. Given the choice between another Sebring and an older M-B at roughly the same price, the choice was obvious. I do expect the M-B to hold up for more than 100K miles.

Good luck finding a car you like.

Dave
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 05:55 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
wvcox1 - 12/23/2005 4:28 PM

OrangeMarlin,
I can see why you like the Audi's. One of my first cars was a '74 Audi Fox, drove a '78 5000 through college. Neither one ever let me down; I think they're just about as good as a Benz, but not quite after now owning my first one.

Enjoy!
A '74 fox and a '78 5000! You were into Audi when Audi was definitely not cool! My first Audi was 1991 90Q with a 165HP 20 Valve 5 cylinder. It was a VERY refined little car and I got 10 great years out of it. When I sold it, it was so unique and so perfect that people thought it was the "new" A4.
post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 01:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2008 Outback 2.5 XT, 1999 A4 1.8T, 1980 244 GL
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ruudje

Quote:
zszszs - 12/6/2005 5:41 AM

Hello...

more info...hmmm.

Well, I'm looking into used cars, specifically. And I guess I just want to know what you all think of one brand and used car programme versus another.

I just want the best for my money. It's my first time to buy a luxury car, so I'm buying used as a way of stepping up into luxury, but in a way I can afford.

Is this what other people do, or is it more a case of always sticking with the same brand, and buying used so that you can afford a better car or model?

I'm just interested to know what people out there do, as I'm new to the whole thing!

Thanks,
Alicia

sorry guys - I might offend some of you with this one.... if you are female and in Europe, go for a new Lexus IS250 or Audi A4 2.0T. Both of them are built tough and look good (according to my wife ... she has a 1999 A4 and still loves it).

“One who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand on the battlefield.”
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 05:32 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2005

Corsino said:
Quote:
You have to know that MB is the only brand that have an accidentology department in order to analyse big crash of car and increase security
What nonsense! Do you really belive that yourself?
SAAB and Volvo have always been there, at least the last 40 years, with 2 circuit brakes, integrated child seat, three point seat belt (some Volvo first) head light wipers, self repairing bumpers, padded roof inside, whiplash protection (SAAB) etc. They have had departments for safety research for decades, and today all major car makers do.
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 09:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005

Quote:
danwatt - 12/22/2005 11:31 AM

If you ever decide on a land rover, don't get a freelander. I'm detailing one right now for a customer, and it is just shoddy. Only a few years old, and it looks like it's ready to die.
thanks for the tip. I kinda wanted one a while back, but not anymore. Thanks for the heads up.[;)]

My cars:

BLACK 1996 S500 (W140) - Sold

BURGUNDY 1989 560 SEL (W126) - Sold

post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 09:04 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
OrangeMarlin - 12/23/2005 4:16 PM
Benz is the "old money" brand, but is also catching on as the "new money trying to look like old money" brand.
That was the story about 30 years ago...

Quote:
I deeply respect BMWs, but their image in the US is contrary to everything that I stand for.
Definitely agree with that. Of course, now they're ugly too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in