BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 2002 C320 S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unbelieveable - Mercedes Service in NY

HI

I live in Queens NY and we have a Mercedes-Dealer here called "Helms Brothers". Maybe anybody heard about it.... anyways...in that place there are some crazy things going on i must tell you...

First of all, I have a friend of mine whos driving a 1999 E320 with around 150000miles on the Odo. His car is in a almost excellent shape. The only problem he has is the Check Engine light, which happened to come on a few days ago...he made an appointment at Helms Brother and what are they telling him "Sry, but we are not serviceing any MB with 100 000miles or more anymore, new shop policy" WTF?!

Now MY story:
I just purchased a 2002 C320 Sedan for a very good price. 29000miles on it, but has a few problems... the passenger front Seat electronics are not working anymore (Seatcomputer = no good). I took it out on my own (5mins Job). I already ordered a new one. Now I also have a Misfiring engine and the SRS light is on.....the Engine is not shaking much but u can feel it. I used to have a Check Engine light on but it just disappeared... anyways I took the Car to Helms Brothers today to get it checked out...

And what happens? The Service advisor calls me and says "Mr....our Service Manager told me that the Seat computer in your Vehicle is missing and thats why we can't Service your Engine, please pick up your car today". I was stunned cuz i thought "since when has the Seat has anything to do with the Engine?" I mean yes maybe it could have anything to do with the Engine everything on the C class is Fiberoptics BUT i had that problem also when the Seatcomputer was installed! But the real messed up part is that the Service advisor said that they wont service the car EVEN if i put back the seat computer because the car has been "touched" too much. LOL?!

Since when is the MB Dealer allowed to refuse a service? Matter of fact, 2(!) services? I mean is that legal??? Helms Brothers is a licensed MB Dealership and the MB Dealer is the place to go when u have aproblem with ur MB, am i right or wrong?

Guys, what should i do?[:(]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 09:16 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 2001 C320 Sport
RE: Unbelieveable - Mercedes Service in NY

100% right![:(!]
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 09:51 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Apr 2005

Post a clear, objective evaluation of your dealer on the dealer rating websit so that everyone else can be informed. Then, make sure the dealer's owner, general manager, and service manager see your posting. Maybe they will make amends, if not they at least will have to face public scrutiny. [:D][:D][:D][:D]

http://www.dealerrater.com/

The dealer you mentioned has already been posted several times and the overall rating is 1.8 out of 5. I've read a lot of these postings and this Helms Bros. dealer sounds like one to avoid at all costs. I'm sure that if you had been aware of this dealer's poor ratings earlier, you would have saved yourself a lot of aggravation....

BTW, Dealer Rater is multi-national and covers all auto makes. I am not affiliated in any way. I just want to even the odds or even tip the playing field to the buyer's advantage.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 03:20 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 404S

You are right; they are wrong.

Get writing!

http://heidilandrover.webeden.co.uk

VJMC EMLRA EAFVG
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 04:03 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1984 300D

Well, you know I deal with dealerships all day long. From Mercedes,BMW, Porsche, Toyota,Infinity.
And what I have found out is if the dealership refuses you service then that means they don't want your buisness, and that also means that they don't care about there customers. I took my 1984 300D W123 with 124,000miles into a mercedes dealership cause my sunroof needed to be regreased, the attendant took my car to a mechanic and they greased it up for me, and the best part is they didn't charge me a thing. I realise that it was a small job, but the fact is they did not turn me down. No matter what Kind of car I had and how many miles I had on my car. Like I mentioned before if one dealership gives you problems then go to another one or take it to a mechanic that you trust.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 08:36 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: '93 300E 2.8

Helms Brothers must really be taking this to heart:

From Despair.com
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 09:35 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 1985 300 SD

Quote:
RaehZa - 11/17/2005 10:06 PM

HI

I live in Queens NY and we have a Mercedes-Dealer here called "Helms Brothers". Maybe anybody heard about it.... anyways...in that place there are some crazy things going on i must tell you...

First of all, I have a friend of mine whos driving a 1999 E320 with around 150000miles on the Odo. His car is in a almost excellent shape. The only problem he has is the Check Engine light, which happened to come on a few days ago...he made an appointment at Helms Brother and what are they telling him "Sry, but we are not serviceing any MB with 100 000miles or more anymore, new shop policy" WTF?!

Now MY story:
I just purchased a 2002 C320 Sedan for a very good price. 29000miles on it, but has a few problems... the passenger front Seat electronics are not working anymore (Seatcomputer = no good). I took it out on my own (5mins Job). I already ordered a new one. Now I also have a Misfiring engine and the SRS light is on.....the Engine is not shaking much but u can feel it. I used to have a Check Engine light on but it just disappeared... anyways I took the Car to Helms Brothers today to get it checked out...

And what happens? The Service advisor calls me and says "Mr....our Service Manager told me that the Seat computer in your Vehicle is missing and thats why we can't Service your Engine, please pick up your car today". I was stunned cuz i thought "since when has the Seat has anything to do with the Engine?" I mean yes maybe it could have anything to do with the Engine everything on the C class is Fiberoptics BUT i had that problem also when the Seatcomputer was installed! But the real messed up part is that the Service advisor said that they wont service the car EVEN if i put back the seat computer because the car has been "touched" too much. LOL?!

Since when is the MB Dealer allowed to refuse a service? Matter of fact, 2(!) services? I mean is that legal??? Helms Brothers is a licensed MB Dealership and the MB Dealer is the place to go when u have aproblem with ur MB, am i right or wrong?

I am sorry to see yet another vendor that is out just for the money simply because of a large customer base. If he doesn't get your money, so what, there are plenty more customers (aka suckers) that will sheepishly turn their wallets over to him.

Vendors that won't return calls, mail or otherwise shun you, are not folks to deal with. Ususally, and I really mean usually, people will perform when all is going right. That is not the way to determine a 'good' vendor. As I said, almost everyone will perform when all is well.

There are at least two ways to tell if the vendor is deserving of your hard earned money: One, is when things go bad or become difficult. If the vendor is surly, churlish or uncommunicative, that is a sign that he will drop you like a hot potato and go on to the sheep who will line his pockets with their dollars. He knows they are out there and will do accept his treatment.

The other way is when things are fine and he/she has your money and doesn't want to be bothered further.

If you accept this without raising hell, you are the reason that the vendor does this. It is your fault as you have trained him that regardless of his actions and demeanor, you or others like you, will still be there and beg the person to take your money.

I believe that you are doing the right thing by illuminating this dealer and warning others.

One of the worst things that folks can do is NOT warn others of bad treatment. That is disingenuous to your fellow man - sort of like not warning a group of skiers when you see an avalanche.

/rant off.

Joe
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 11:22 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1972 250C, Ducati ST

Quote:
RaehZa - 11/17/2005 11:06 PM

It's certainly legal for a shop to refuse a job, but it might violate their terms of agreement with MBUSA, at least if the car is still under warranty or it's a repair that's mandated by a recall notice.

If it's out of warranty though, I suspect that the dealer is free to turn away any job he wishes (not counting safety-recall repairs).
Scott Gardner
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 2002 C320 S
(Thread Starter)

Hi

thx for the relpies so far....i went today back to helms and spoke with the service manager. but before i tell you what he told me, i'd like to tell you guys why i went to the dealer and what i expected from them.

i went there and told the service advisor that i would like MB to check out whats wrong with my car and what needs to be done to fix my problems (with the intesntion to do it myself - my dad is a mechanic, but he has no knowledge of diagnostics esp. fiber optics MBs).

Anyways I confronted the Service Manager with my issue and he told me: "Well you want us to check out your car and you want to do it yourself. I don't want to get involved with that, because if I tell you whats wrong with it and u change the required parts and the problem still exicst, you gonna come back to me".

I was thinking "well than get better mechanichs" [:(!]
I told him that Helms Brother represents the Daimler Chrysler, AG and the MB Dealer is the place to go with these kinda problem. He said, "yes thats true, we are representing MB bla bla bla bla, but we also have the right to refuse doing a job".

Thats a realy f'd up place i must tell you....so do i undersatnd that right....they want to diagnost the car, change couple of parts and "hope" to change the right part to fix my problem and than charge me for everything they did...lol... or they were just not able to find my problem....[V]

anyways im gonna go ahead and post now at the dealer rating site....
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 05:27 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1985 300 SD

Did you offer to pay the dealer for diagnostics and tell him that you were going to do the work yourself?

Joe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in