LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Nov 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Service intervals

I recently bought an E220 Cdi (current model, W211) which was supposed to come with a full M-B service history. The service booklet produced by (franchised) dealers a few days after I took possession of the car showed that the last service had been carried out by an independent garage. When I pointed this out, the dealer's salesman said that the car had, in fact, been serviced by his company just before the sale. A new stamp confirming that was added to the booklet.

I've just checked the ASSYST position in the car's computer and discover that a service ('D) will be required 6,000 miles after the dealer's service, but 9,000 miles after the service by the independent. I've driven the car for about 1,000 miles, about 80% of the time on long journeys, with a very moderate driving style.

9,000 miles seems more probable and 6,000 implausibly short.

Does anyone agree? Is it possible to tell when the ASSYST indicator was in fact last reset?

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 01:26 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Nov 2005
RE: Service intervals

assyt will keep history of all services carried out
sounds like it either hasnt been reset by the selling dealer or maybe wasnt serviced you need to speak to your dealer to confirm and perhaps get a printout of service history via assyt plus ecu
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 08:31 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 04 E320 4Matic

My 04 E-320 4-Matic showed that it would require A Service in about 480 kms a few weeks ago when it reached about 19500 kms but suddenly it shifted to requiring C Service in 2000 kms. I was expecting to see a warning that service was overdue but did not see it. I would appreciate advice as to if there is something wrong. I will take it to the dealer in a few days anyway. It now has 20200 kms. The car has never been serviced since purchase about a year ago. It is still running fine. I hope there is no permanent damages to the car. I have been driving very gently, mostly on highways.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 09:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE

Once, long, long ago, in a more elegant, enlightened, and civilized time, the owner of a Mercedes-Benz automobile – which, sadly, are no longer manufactured – would simply present his service record book to the manager of the dealer service department. The service manager would indicate the service performed, sign, date, and affix the dealer’s stamp to the record. There was never any confusion as to what service was performed and what was needed next. One simply worked his way through the book and the appropriate service was performed at the appropriate time.

When one sold his Mercedes-Benz automobile, the service record was given to the new owner to continue performing and recording service for the next 100,000 or 200,000 miles.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 01:47 AM
BenzWorld Extremist
Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 1981 300SD, 1976 300D
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I wanted to say something like this, jdc, but as usual you beat me to it.

Ah, there is still a book supplied (at least on 2001 models, haven't looked at earlier). We don't work on that many MBs at the shop I work at, but- I will gladly fill out the service coupon for anyone who asks.

In 18 mos there, we have had one request.

From my father(Benz traditionalism is possibly genetic?). His SLK230 has multiple dealer stamps and one indy stamp in "the book". Wish my SD had "the book" if only because it's fun to page through...
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: