BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: E320 Lexus RX 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: JD Powers posts 3-year owner problem numbers
Since I was the one who mentioned a Lexus earlier in the thread, I want to clarify my position a bit.
1) At one time I thought that I would never own a car that was not from MB.
2) I dont care what JD Powers states all of my observations related to real life experiences with our MB's.
3) I was not planning on buying the wife a new car this year is was only a 2001 ML320 with 35K miles on it.
4) The ML left her stuck on the road 5 times and need to picked up and brought to the dealers for repair. Sometimes it was there for a week at a time, "keep it long enough to find the root cause", I stated more then once.
5) The factory was involved on the next to last repair but it was back in for the same or sililar problems within 7 days.
6) My wife said she does not want this vechile any longer but she wanted a SUV. I asked did she want to look at a 2006 ML. She took one for a test drive but her heart was not in it since she lost confidence in the ML. ALso she stated she did not like the interior styling.
7) So I was buying a new car and for her it was not going to be a MB. We did not look at any surveys but we spoke with poeple who owned the vechiles we were interested in Lexus (9 people including one we did not know but had pulled into a parking lot next to who where happy too answer questions), 5 Acura owners, 2 VW owners and one person who has a Cayanne.
She then test drove the MDX and RX330 liked both was more impressed with the 330 over the MDX. THe 330 has features on it that you still today can not get on a MB.
8) I did take a look at Edmunds just for reliablility data but mostly based it off of individaul conversations with other owners.
In summary her MB was a bad car, that is not to say all MB's are bad cars but hers was one of them. Not being able to get the car fixed did not make her confident on taking it on long trips. It was easier for me to gt her a car that was not a MB then trying to get her into a MB, I even offered to get her a S430 4Matic (I live in the NE) she turned me down. While it is too early to tell with the Lexus something happened yesterday that would never had happened with her ML. She is driving to Wake Forrest University she left yesterday and got there last night, she actually wanted to do this. Her words; "If I still had my ML320 you would be taking me to the airport". This whole experience has open my eyes to what else is out there and I will be looling at other manufactures next time I am purchasing a car. And for those of you who are thinking lemon law remember you can be a time consuming expensive fight (besides the repair orders while similar were all slightly different)and she wanted the car gone.
While this is more then 2 cents I thought I would explain what lead to us now owning a Lexus, while I still drive a E320 4Matic Special Edition 2002.