Why did you buy a Mercedes Benz? - Page 7 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 140 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 07:29 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Why did you buy a Mercedes Benz?

I just bought my first Benz (a 2002 C32) and I've never been a Benz fan.

My prior two cars (owned nearly 15 years) were Audis. Most recent being a 2000 A6 2.7T and before that, a 1991 90Q. I was ready to jump into another Audi (either a 2002 S6 - a 340HP wagon; or a new A3), but my wife got me thinking about doing something different.

I never seriously considered MB. To me, it was an heirloom car, but too "mainstream" and nothing to get excited about. They exude class, and with a few exceptions, are ageless designs.

But I like to be slightly outside the mainstream; and to me the optimum car is the one that looks great, drives great, but is not necessarily the best known brand. Kind of an oxymoron, because if a car is so great, it will be well known and popular! Owning Audi for the past 15 years, I saw it transition from a fringe brand (like Saab is now) to a more popular brand.

To appease the wife, I started looking at local dealerships' used inventory. It put me to sleep. Competent silver sedan after competent silver sedan. Yawn. Then I came across the C32. At first my 8 year old cried, "Not another old man's car!!!" But I knew that there was more to this car than met the eye. That's what appealed to me. At least under the skin, it was unique and non-mainstream.

I can't say that owning the C32 has changed my view toward MB. I could see myself in the C350 with the 6 speed manual. Aside from that, the current MB lineup is not an enthusiast's brand as much as it is a brand for people who appreciate good stuff. If you drive a Benz, you are successful and a smart car buyer. If you drive a C32 AMG, you are those things, plus a bit of a car afficionado.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 140 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 05:42 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2005

Quote:
Benz Devil - 11/10/2005 2:17 AM

Smooth ride, unique smell from leather interior, three-point star, etc. [:)]
YEA BABY!! (Austin Powers) Nothing screams class, style, old money, (and intelligence) like a second generation V126 S-Class! Performance is nice also. I passed a Camaro that was doing his top speed 90 MPH (chip controled). My top speed was 130 MPH. YEA BABY!!
post #63 of 140 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 12:46 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: E 500 / 560 SEL

On-Topic answer:

Because I needed a car[8D]
post #64 of 140 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 06:19 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 04-E320 (benz #7)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to zaphodsplanet

Quote:
peter811 - 1/8/2006 11:05 PM

I bought my 84 300D for $1200 and after working on it I realized how user friendly the car was.

I believe that mercedes has gone down hill with their cars. They are not realiable any more, and they are expensive to repair.

I've owned 2 300D's... an 82 and an 83. They were great except for the constant vacuum and oil leaks I was always trying to fix.... I'm now on my 5th benz. it's a 2000 ML 320. I LOVE IT. I disagree with you. I do not think Mercedes have gone "down hill". I sold my 96 C280 with 168K miles and it was still running great... fast... didn't burn oil.... only thing that was broken on the car was the passenger side vanity mirror.... everything else worked just fine. I think the true quality issues found with some of the newer benz were more superfiscial.... ie... trim and things of this nature.

That's my 2 cents... and I strongly disagree with you.

Laters,
Z
post #65 of 140 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 06:54 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 04-E320 (benz #7)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to zaphodsplanet

Duh.... I never answered the original question. In 1992 I was in 3 accidents.... all not my fault and the last was the worst.... drunk driver side swiped us doing 50+MPH at Congress & 8th Ave in Austin.

Needless to say I was getting a bit paranoid about my safety. Luckily nobody was majorly hurt in the last accident. Anyway... I knew Mercedes had a reputation for safety so I went and looked at the dealership. Bought my first benz which was an 82 300D for something like $6K. It was slow at first.... especially when cold... but just continued to surprise me day after day of driving it... all the way up to 275K miles.. when I upgraded it. After the first month of driving it I was totally hooked. It's all in the way it drives. Nothing drives or rides like a benz... at least in my opinion... So I'll continue to drive them... probably for as long as they make them....

Z
post #66 of 140 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 07:00 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: May 2003

Quote:
peter811 - 1/9/2006 12:05 AM

I bought my 84 300D for $1200 and after working on it I realized how user friendly the car was.

I believe that mercedes has gone down hill with their cars. They are not realiable any more, and they are expensive to repair.

If you're talking about long-term ownership, every car made today is disposable. Not just Mercedes. No car is made to be kept.
post #67 of 140 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 07:47 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2005 S55; 2003 ML350; 2002 C240; 1997 C280 Sport; 1991 300SL; 1986 190e 2.3 16V (2); 1968 W30 442
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Well. I bought mine, all of them, because, um, maybe I'm a challenged person with MOCD?

Mercedes Obsesive Compulsive Disorder?

I need a 126 wagon. Really, I do......

Thanks!
Fred
2005 S55
2003 ML350
2002 C240
1997 C280 Sport
1991 300SL
1986 190e 2.3 16V (2)
1968 W30 442
1988 46' Cougar US1 with Triple blown 572s
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/waybomb/
Warming the Globe, 24 Cylinders at a Time
Point me to a 126 wagon in the States PLEASE!
post #68 of 140 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 08:41 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 1972 250C, Ducati ST

Quote:
jzaroh - 1/10/2006 9:00 PM

Quote:
peter811 - 1/9/2006 12:05 AM

If you're talking about long-term ownership, every car made today is disposable. Not just Mercedes. No car is made to be kept.
Spot-on. It doesn't help that many of the recommended service intervals have been extended so far that for the typical owner, you essentially don't *have* to do any tune-up type maintenance for the life of the car. That would be fine, except that if you *do* keep the car long enough to get to the end of the service life, it's going to be an expensive, difficult job to replace everything that needs it.

Many new cars have 100,000 mile "tune-up" intervals, including the spark plugs. Have you ever tried to remove steel spark plugs from an aluminum cylinder head after they've been in there for 100,000 miles? You'll be lucky to get half of them out without stripping the aluminum threads. Plus, if you wait the full 100,000 miles, the "tune-up" pretty much turns into replacing every sensor, meter, belt, hose, and drop of fluid in the car. At that point, unless you've become emotionally attached to the car, you're better off just replacing it.

That's the one nice thing about short service intervals - nothing has a chance to seize/corrode/rot in place before it's time to adjust or replace it.

Scott
post #69 of 140 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 04:43 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: Perlmuttgrau 300SEL
Send a message via MSN to am3037

Wanted a good allround motor vehicle. I enjoy driving and working on cars, and my 126 has provided me with plenty of both.

However, having owned many european cars, and japanese cars, no car has been as rewarding as my current 300SEL. Its a balanced package, and its a favorite part of my day to drive to work and return home. And i do feel extremely safe driving it.

Cheers,
Aaron

Pearl Grey 300SEL.
HK import, 103,000miles.
post #70 of 140 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 07:34 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: C180 1995
Send a message via MSN to FLASHBACK

When I grew up my father worked as some kind of mechanic instructor for Mercedes-Benz. He used to travel all over Sweden and educate the machanics on new stuff and such. Therefore i sort of grew in to it... Always driving Mercedes and talking good about it :)

I myself cannot find the high quality and feeling of heritage that always has been somehow the trademark for Mercedes in any other car. And god knows i have tried.

I now waste my time with Mercedes as a major hobby!

Welcome to the Mercedes paradise on the web www.500sec.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in