Transmission Maintenance - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 06:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
RE: Transmission Maintenance

Yeah, Greg, tough call without the torque converter drain plug. Not sure what I'd do on that one. Maybe two quarts every 15,000 miles or something? Don't know. Maybe a flush? :)

Len
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 11:02 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi guys i am getting ready to change my tranny fluid what is the proceedure, and recommendations, i have been trying to get a manual but no luck,
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 10:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Adding my .02 worth to this. I emailed MBUSA asking for the official MB policy regarding transmission fluid in my 2001 E320. Some woman wrote back telling me that it is not necessary. I think most of us think this is baloney, and the question seems to be more of a "when" not an "if".

My dealership recommends it (service manager and one of the techs) at about the 50,000 mile marker.

Thanks to you guys for the warning about the chemical flush, and I have no drain plug on the torque converter, so don't think a gravity drain will accomplish that much.

Like Greg wrote, I have a 60k B service coming up soon, and plan to have them change the fluid/filter if and only if they don't use some sort of chemical flush.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 01:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I had the transmission fluid and filter service done at my local dealer six weeks ago. The service writer recommended it. The transmission in my CLK430 is a 722.607, which I believe is the same as a w210 E.

Out the door, the price was $338. The invoice included -

Transmission oil filter, part number 140-277-00-95 - $15.95
Gasket, part number 140-271-00-80 - $ 16.50
Lock pin, part number 140-991-00-55 - $1.65
9 quarts of fluid, part number 001-989-21-03-10 - $88.15
Labor - $206

The WIS doesn't list the capacity for a 722.6 transmission fluid change. Another guy on another list said the 722.6 transmission will hold three to four quarts and the torque converter will hold another three to four quarts. I was charged for nine quarts, so can only guess the dealer has a way of replacing all the fluid - including what's in the lines and radiator.

If you decide to do the service yourself, here's something to think about -
according to the WIS, the fluid level has to be checked when at 25 degrees C, and again at 80 degrees C. The WIS says damage will occur if the fluid level is too low or too high. The dealer uses a STAR diagnostic box to check the temperatures. Without a STAR box, you may want to pay close attention to how much fluid you remove, and replace that same amount.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Thanks for the pricing info Marcus. I fail to see why it took them (what must have been) 2+ hours to do this. I think the rate at my dealer is $92 per hour.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 04:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
For $208 in labor, that's one job they can gladly do. That way I don't have to take an ATF bath. My garage doesn't have to smell like the Exxon Valdez was parked there. My wife doesn't have to give me "that look" just because I'm wandering through the house soaked in toxic red goo. And I don't have to explain to the recycling guys that the two gallons of ATF is just like cherry flavored motor oil.

Nope, there was no downside to this one. Besides, I got to (1) ogle a new SLR, (2) eat their breakfast, (3) got my car washed and vacuumed (although I shudder when I think of what kind of soap they may use), and (4) they ran my VIN and determined my voltage regulator was part of a "courtesy" recall.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
I totally agree, and would not even think of doing it myself. I happen to be a dealer-believer and have had friends who think, as a result, that I'm ready for a rubber room.

In my experience, dealers have the best access to OEM parts, do the job right (usually the 1st time) and stand behind their work.

I take my Camry to the Toyota dealer, the Plymouth to the Chrysler-Dodge place, and my Benz to MB. In all three cases, these cars were bought at these individual dealerships, and they remember my name.

Cheers,
M

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 12:30 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 1999 E320, 2001 E320
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Without a STAR box, you may want to pay close attention to how much fluid you remove, and replace that same amount.
http://www.*****************/Wikka/Trans7226Fluid

This DIY used an IR thermometer.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 11:41 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had our S430's tranny flushed and changed. It was at 46000K, my indy did the job along with changing the differential fluid. It was a nasty brown, opaque, color when it came out. Glad I did it, the tranny shifts noticably smoother and the ambient driving noise is even lower.

Best regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in