Date registered: May 2003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: What engine in this 300sd?

Quote:
jdc1244a - 10/10/2005 10:50 PM

Quote:
jzaroh - 10/10/2005 10:44 PM

What is still up for debate is why these engines fail. Since MB will not disclose any information.
What is your opinion of the faulty turbo oil seal?
I really don't know. I had a fault with the EGR system building too much sludge in the intake(the intake crossover pipe was 3/4's caked). After my EGR replacement, a month or two later(I think, it was back in 2003), I started to experience unusual engine oil consumption(1500 miles per qt). It never used to burn through oil at all. After 3K miles, not a drop was spent. Open the oil filler cap, or pop out the dipstick and it smelled(strongly) like July 4th on Marblehead neck(minus the fried dough).

Thinking back:
I subscribe, temporarily, to the carbon chunk theory. Simply because my EGR failed almost immediately before I had witnessed any problems with my engine.

As far as the carbon chunk theory goes, if that's the case, the only preventative maintenence you can do is hack that sucker out and fit a blockoff plate in it's stead. Unfortunately this simulates a "no boost" condition via the engine control computer. So that needs to be bypassed. I don't know how to approach that, yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 04:01 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Oh, and btw regardless of the cause, no Mercedes should EVER have these issues under ANY of the possible theories proposed. These engines were stretched too thin, and it is the weakest MB diesel ever made, IMHO.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 05:05 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Fellas, I WILL be having my engine looked at by an MB tech in a few weeks. He WILL take official measurements and I will know for sure where to go from there.

I have read about a possible headgasket failure on the -17- head that occurs near cylinder #1, and produces nearly identical symptoms to bent rods.

I have my doubts due to the way my 350 responded to various aftermarket compression restorers(they worked like magic). But at least I will get official readings.

I will keep you all posted.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 05:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE

Quote:
jzaroh - 10/12/2005 5:58 PM

Thinking back:
I subscribe, temporarily, to the carbon chunk theory. Simply because my EGR failed almost immediately before I had witnessed any problems with my engine.
Yes, a failed EGR could also be at fault – I agree the engine should not have been used and it should have been pulled when the problem became known.

The ‘carbon chunk’ theory holds that a piece breaks off in the intake, gets sucked into the combustion chamber between the crown of the cylinder and top of the combustion chamber, and at TDC the rod bends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in