post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 87 560SEL SOLD: 95 SL600, 95/97 S600 coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Recalls on Ebay

I have noticed several newer model Benzes on Ebay that are being offered for sale that were recalled or lemons that the manufacturer apparently repaired and put back on the market.
Here is one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Benz-CL-Class-2004-MERCEDES-BENZ-CL55-AMG-13-431-MILES-RARE_W0QQitemZ4579572000QQcategoryZ31853QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

What the hey is going on, except to say that this is proof of the high percentage of repair incidents, due to low quality control and build issues.

Are these cars worth the money and really repaired or still a gamble?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 10:35 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2003
Vehicle: SL500, ML320, E320
RE: Recalls on Ebay

You're right... there seems to be an increased number of factory buy-backs and you can't help but wonder if they're fixed now - -why weren't they fixed THEN so the owners didn't have to threaten litigation to get rid of a car with chronic problems?
Presumably, a technology "fix" cured the problem and the car is a great value. But you have to wonder if you might get stuck with a vehicle you later can't unload-- or will take a heck of a loss.
By the same token, a buddy of mine bought an `02 S500 sport that was a buy-back--got a heck of a deal--and hasn't had an ounce of problems in the two years he's had it.
I guess the only safe step to take is to conduct a thorough pre-buy inspection, car fax, dealer VIN look-up and weigh your options. They sure seem tempting, but I think I'd probably be inclined to pass....
Regards-

CQRT
Scottsdale
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 12:02 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 2001 C320

Wouldn't Carfaxing the VIN shed some light as to why the car was returned to Mercedes?[?]

2001 Mercedes C320
2001 BMW 325i
1975 Dodge B200 w/ slant six
1960 Ford Ranchero
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 05:09 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: E320

Quote:
billyons - 10/8/2005 2:02 PM

Wouldn't Carfaxing the VIN shed some light as to why the car was returned to Mercedes?[?]
Not necessarily. Dunno about MB but I think most manufacturers are not obliged - or inclined - to specify why a car was recalled. You'll see if anything something like "dealer service performed" or similar. CarFax is an OK tool but do not assume it is printed on the same paper used for bibles. Plus I've wondered if the industry (read "your dealer") has figured out how to produce a CarFax or what looks like one that will contain whatever they want. It's tough living the life of a skeptic...

'99 E320 (bought 2/05 w/27K certified miles)
'04 V70R 300hp stock before chip, downpipe, etc
'00 Taurus
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 03:33 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350

I know of several buybacks from local dealers being done for really minor issues because the original owner was a "high dollar" customer who would buy more than one new car per year.

In this state the buybacks are fixed before being resold but the title is marked to reflect its diminished value. The dealer auctions have lots of cars with interesting stories behind them.

Potato Chip, custom canuter valve, low-friction muffler bearings, synthetic turn signal fluid, Hi-Definition Progressive Scan Wiper Blades.
Law-makers are supposed to regulate in the interest of the public as opposed to regulating in the interest of the regulated party.
If it says Pratt and Whitney on the outside it better say Martin Baker on the inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in