post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
ETS AND ABS LIGHTS

Hey to all, I currently have a mercedes s280 1995 M-Reg,
Just really need some help if possible, When i am driving the car and turn a corner whilest breaking the ETS And ABS warning lights come on, Although this is not every time i turn the wheel whilest breaking, Once the lights come on the steering becomes very heavy and i have to stop the car turn it off and then re-start it and its fine, Does anyone phone what might be causing this problem?? I have also notice a strange feeling on the break pedel sometimes whilest breaking, Any help that you can offer would be great, You can e-mail adivice on

hardteen17uk@hotmail.com, or just post on here PLEASE
thanks keir
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 03:56 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes E220 CDi
RE: ETS AND ABS LIGHTS

This is a classic problem on later MB cars. I have had it on my 1998 C-Class and my 2001 E-Class and in both cases the solution was the same and simple. The brake light switch on these cars is a multi-function switch that controls the stop lights and the ABS/ESP system. If your model has a similar switch, try changing it first, it is cheap and easy to replace. My symptoms were - ABS/ESP warning lights suddenly comes on, ABS does not work, cruise control does not work. Switch off ignition and then re-start and problem has gone (for a while).
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 06:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: W208 CLK230K 2000 year, Past -W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
RE: ETS AND ABS LIGHTS

HI mate

I too have had the exactly the same thing happened to me. I have an E-Class W210 model and bothe the ABS and ETS lights on my dash have been coming on. Previously I had unplugged my ECU unit from the engine and checked the connector as it was missing a clip, I made sure it was secure and put it back into its housing. For about 3 months both light stayed off and I was happy once more thinking it was just down to the connector.!
However after three months the 2 dreaded ABS and ETS lights came on again. I checked the connector which was fine, but if I unplug the ECU and plugged it back in again the lights go out, but only for a while. The same thing if I turn off the ignition and then back on again for a bout 20mins the ligths stay off.
I am pretty sure it is not the physical ABS or ETS because if there was an immediate problem then the dash lights would show after a few secs when the car starts. When the lights are on the ABS, Traction and cruise control does not work. And whenthe lights are out the ABS, ETS and Cruise works fine.!

….please help!

18x235x40 (8.5J) & 18x255x35 (9.5J) Brabus Monoblocks VI reps, Eibach Pro lowering kit, no#1 pad front & rear, Rolled arches,20mm rear spacers/15mm front, Flat emblem, Kompressor skirt badges, Parking sensors, Colour coded grill, Front flat lip, Front eccentric camber bolts, Denso Irridium plugs, K&N filter, Sony ICE adapted to steering wheel buttons, Blue LED modified dash & interior.
][/B]
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 11:10 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 1999 Mercedes S320
I have exactly the same problem with my 1999 S320. Have had the brake light switch replaced twice, but to no avail. Has anyone resolved this issue yet?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 04:05 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
The brake light switch only mainly affects cars with ESP, and thats about 1997 on. What the faulty switch does is to kill the speed signal,,ETS is something else, but all of these things need a speed signal, so an easy thing is to check and clean up the speed sensors on the wheels

Malcolm

"I thought my vasectomy would keep my wife from getting pregnant but apparently it just changes the color of the baby."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in