post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 1998 E320 Sedan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
E320 (w210) bad vibration when idling

Hi, not sure if anyone can help me on this one. I have a w210 chassis (E320), 1998, 64K miles. A while back, I had noticed my car had a bad vibration coming from the engine. TOok it to the dealer and he replaced the harmonic pulley that was on recall. Seemed to go away. However, I noticed after an extremely long drive this weekend (from the Hurrican, was on the road for 17 hours, about 13 of it stop and go) that when I have the car in DRIVE and it is stopped, there is terrible vibration. Everything shakes, steering wheel, seat, you can really feel it and hear it. But as soon as I gain any amount of speed, the vibration COMPLETELY disappears. Also, the vibration is not present if car is in Neutral, Park, or Reverse.

I drove the car for a little while and after a while, the vibration seemed to go away. However, it returned again this morning. This seems odd to me that it would vibrate only when stopped. Seems like it should vibrate all the time when the car is in Drive. Could this be the Engine Mounts? Also read that it *might* be the air flow mass sensor, but wasn't sure on the specifics, never mentioned only vibrating when stopped. Woudl taht cause the car to vibrate only when stopped and in drive? Its pretty bad and pretty rough. I have to make the trip back to Houston and am a little worried that I may not make it. I took it to the dealer about 2 months ago and got back a laundry list of problems. For the air conditioning they quoted $1000 which looks like will get fixed by me for $150. I knew when they were charing $100 to change the air filter, that MB was a ripoff (not the charcoal filter even or the dust filter, the air filter).

Also, on a side note, I've been pretty disillusioned w/ my E320. Suddenly, it seems to be having many problems inlcuding air conditioning problem (which I bleieve I found the solution on other posts on this site).

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 06:35 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
RE: E320 (w210) bad vibration when idling

MAF sensor will trigger the CEL. It sounds like engine mounts to me. Age and heat hurt them more than miles. Have them checked out to see if your mounts are busted.

Welcome on board!![:)]
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 08:29 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1990 300 sel

I would also guess the mounts. I you noticed it when driving slow speeds, possibly the flex disc, but doubt it in this case. Also the MAF can be on the low side, causing the CEL to not come on yet, but still not read well, especially after replacing the AF. One easy inspect is to check the distance of the top of the fan to the shroud, if it looks low, probably mounts. Welcome and good luck

you get better results with sugar than you do with salt
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 05:41 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes E220 CDi

Saw a note from someone with a similar problem to yours, not sure if its common to all W210s or just his model. Hope this might help

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 10:34 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Sep 2005

I have to go along with engine mounts too. We have 2 Mercedes here with the same problem, after awhile the rubber in the mounts become very hard and they vibrate. One old 300D here sounded like it would vibrate apart, it was fixed at a Mercedes high price and now runs fine.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 05:44 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Oct 2005

I have '98 E320 and at about the same mileage 65k-70k I replaced both engine mounts because of the same vibration you describing... The old mounts were crushed the difference with new ones was about 1/2"-3/4"
Also check for brown like fluid marks around the old mounts ..on mine the driver side had leaked all around the mount
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: