BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 280ce Cab
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
ac compressor dead!!

Hi All,

I live in Ireland and we dont really have a huge need for AC. But that said my E320 coupe (w124) is fitted with an aftermarket AC system. However the bearing in the condensor is gone, and apart from sounding like a tractor its going to throw the belt off if I keep driving it. Keep in mind that I dont know alot about AC when reading below.

So Im left with a few options, I've had it looked at and replacing the bearing is not going to fix it as the appently its locked. So the compressor\condensor ??? is going to have to be replaced. I can...

A, have the unit replaced

B, have the bearing replaced, no AC but the noise is gone.

C Use a shorter belt, removing the the AC, no noise and cheaper.

I would like to keep the AC, mainly for resale value. What I really need to know is whats the cheapest option that is going allow me keep the AC. As its aftermarket, I think my options are limited in relation to getting a unit from a breakers yard.

The unit in question is a Seiko-Seiko and I think the part number is SS 121DS1. I can't really find that much info on the internet, but it appears that these may have been used in BMWs and Saabs. So I may be able to pick one up via that route.

I would also consider getting a whole MB system from a breakers if thats a viable option (no idea that this would cost).

I've just replaced the waterpump and bought new tyres for my 17" AMG rims in the past 10 days so really dont want to have to shell out a huge amount on this.

So ideas or if not does anyone know an AC forum where I could pick there brains??

Thank you

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 11:50 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: W124/230E, W202 C240 stationwagon, W210 E280 facelift
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: ac compressor dead!!

maybe try DIAVIA a/c system, they install most of OEM a/c system for W124 before.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: