LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jul 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What to look for??

Hello!! Im going to be looking at a 1985 300sd with 140,000 miles on it. The 1 owner said something about it being an old "diplomatic" car before he got it. It is burgandy w/ tan interior. Im pretty well mechanically inclined but this is my first Benz attempt and would appreciate any advice about what I should really pay attention to and questions to ask. The owner seems honest and is supposed to have taken good care of it. Thanks in advance for any help! [:)]
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 08:28 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: SL320/ML320
RE: What to look for??

If the owner can provide records of regular oil changes I would not worry about the engine. Most likely problems will be with the transmission or fuel injection.

I would still spend the money for a professional inspection. Also bring a magnet to check for bondo.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 08:17 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jul 2005
RE: What to look for??

ok heres a list!! check motor mounts, leather seats are a minus mercedes tex are better, seat switches gave problems and have a wiring harness kit to be replaced with the 100 dollar switch ,kits about 30, im sure the cruise does`nt work sometimes you can fix cold solder joints in them, look to see records of previous work like btk rotors ,valve adjustment, trans can be adjusted by taking rubber cap off and pulling
T out, in is harder out is softer adjust for the first to second shift others should be ok if the first one is correct.The 617 Engine was Mercedes best ever in Diesel powered. less powerful than the newer but tougher by far , I had three been working on them 10 years and have a 87 300 D now that is much more powerful but has blown headgasket three times and one new head of course previous ownwer was to blame for the cracked head but i replaced head bolts each time and proper bolt tightening still it has failed , 350,000 on it.back to SD Sedan diesel if you wondered what it meant.they have window switch problems spray with brake cleaner same with seat switch, rough idle can be sometimes help by tightening the bolt on back of injection pump or replace it if spring is weak and rememmber it has a locking nut.I could go on forever but anyway thats a bit
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: