LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 04:43 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 1998 E300D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Changing Your own oil?

I was in Autozone a few days ago. The kid told me they no longer carry the 0W40.[:(!]

Perhaps at Wallymart?? I'll have to check.

FWIW, the Mobil 1 5W30 does not carry the MBz spec.

1998 E300D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 06:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

It's about a buck cheaper at Walmart anyway. Some Walmarts -- at least from what I've heard -- carry the 5 quart containers, which is cheaper and easier as well.

The absolute cheapest place to get it would be Sam's Club, but according to their website very few of their stores carry it and they won't ship it. Bastages.

Take care, folks.
Greg
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Vehicle: 2005 CLK-320
(Thread Starter)

Thanks to all for the information!

Redhawk06
Rangers Lead the Way!
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 07:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 80 Post(s)

I used to do my own oil changes on the MB's. I found an independant who does it at a good price. I usually still have the dealership do it once a year. They look over it at the same time and tell me if there are any problems. Honestly, $100 is not a bad price for an oil change. If I remember correctly, our M class runs $140 at the dealership and our w126 $85-$100. Mercedes are not cheap. Heck, oil is not cheap! But its cheaper than a rebuild.
Mike

Mike
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 08:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 2002 430clk;2005 Yamaha YZF R1;08 Range Rover Sport

$100 for an oil change, lets see, first its synthetic and you do it every 7-10k miles which is at least 2-3 regular oil changes at 32$ a change at a local shop every 3000 miles. So even if you would have spent about 75 dollars for regular oil changes if you had a regular car, technically you spent 25$ extra in 7000 miles on your Mercedes for better oil and it costs you .0035 cents per mile [:p]

Mod list:Carlssons front bumper, custom angel eye fogs, headlight rings, #1 pads, Eibach springs, Inmotion ECU tuning, chrome wheels, Illuminated door sills, in dash DVD and backup camera, complete audio system, AMG pedals, LED lights, Blk maple and chrome shift knob, blk maple center cover and door pulls, Zaino, H&R 10mm spacers, K&N filters, Magnaflow exhaust
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 03:39 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 04-E320 (benz #7)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to zaphodsplanet

It's all up to you... if you like the idea then try it. I changed the oil on my ML for the first time a month or so ago. Was kind of rushing to see how fast I could knock it out on my own.... 25 minutes... old oil out, new oil in with new filter and o-rings around the filter. This included time to wipe things up and dump oil into containers to take to recycling place. Not too bad and I got to see just how dirty the old oil and filter was. If you bought new then you can rest easy...

I like to do some of the routine stuff to get a better look at things....

Don't be affraid of it. It's just an engine.

Z
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 07:24 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2005

Lots of reasons to do it yourself (not just to save money).

1. Zen. It feels good to do good.

2. Shorter intervals than the maintenance program. I can't go 10,000 miles between changes. No way. Maybe 6,000.

3. You KNOW that you have good oil in there. I have heard some scary stories (Audi owners mostly) where dealers would put in junk oil. Off brands and the wrong viscosities. I have very little faith in dealers to do what's best for my car. Scary, but true.

I use a dipstick sucker. With a Benz (with the filter on top) it's a clean, fast and easy job.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 10:33 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)

I agree with OrangeMarlin. My cars don't run any better than after I've just done an oil and filter [;)]

Factory intervals are scary for me too. I shoot for 3000 but never go beyond 5000.

At this point I'm unconvinced on the advantage of synthetic oil so I just run dino oil and change it more frequently.

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 10:59 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 04-E320 (benz #7)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to zaphodsplanet

Quote:
tuttebenne - 2/9/2006 11:33 AM

I agree with OrangeMarlin. My cars don't run any better than after I've just done an oil and filter [;)]

Factory intervals are scary for me too. I shoot for 3000 but never go beyond 5000.

At this point I'm unconvinced on the advantage of synthetic oil so I just run dino oil and change it more frequently.
Tuttebenne,
How can you not be convinced? Many tests show what I believe is rather indisputable proof that it lasts a hell of a lot longer than normal dino. It doesn't break down like dino does. I once bought a used toyota corrolla many years back that I got from the original owner. He told me he had only used mobil 1 synthetic in it since not long after it broke in. For some reason I got curious one day and I pulled the valve cover. Not a single bit of wear on the camshaft nor much of any wear.... anywhere. It had over 125K miles on it. I have periodically run synthetic in several of my older benz's that didn't require it. Watched the dip stick periodically. The synthetic would always appear almost new well after 5-7K miles... long after dino would have already gone jet black on me. I also noticed a slight improvement in my MPG each time I'd run it in my car.. especially my 90 300E.

So I don't agree with your lack of confidence. Nor can I imagine changing my oil every 3000 miles. That would be every 4-6 weeks for me. Just a waste of money in my mind. My truck is new enough to have the FSS and I go by that. So far so good and have heard of several others in here with ML's that have well over 150K on the clock and they have been doing the same thing. While changing the oil as often as you try to won't do any damage.... to me it seems wasteful I guess. And if you've never tried using synthetic give it a try and watch your gas mileage before and after the change. I think you might be surprised.

Z
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 12:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Quote:
zaphodsplanet - 2/9/2006 9:59 AM

Quote:
tuttebenne - 2/9/2006 11:33 AM

Tuttebenne,
How can you not be convinced? Many tests show what I believe is rather indisputable proof that it lasts a hell of a lot longer than normal dino. It doesn't break down like dino does. I once bought a used toyota corrolla many years back that I got from the original owner. He told me he had only used mobil 1 synthetic in it since not long after it broke in. For some reason I got curious one day and I pulled the valve cover. Not a single bit of wear on the camshaft nor much of any wear.... anywhere. It had over 125K miles on it. I have periodically run synthetic in several of my older benz's that didn't require it. Watched the dip stick periodically. The synthetic would always appear almost new well after 5-7K miles... long after dino would have already gone jet black on me. I also noticed a slight improvement in my MPG each time I'd run it in my car.. especially my 90 300E.

So I don't agree with your lack of confidence. Nor can I imagine changing my oil every 3000 miles. That would be every 4-6 weeks for me. Just a waste of money in my mind. My truck is new enough to have the FSS and I go by that. So far so good and have heard of several others in here with ML's that have well over 150K on the clock and they have been doing the same thing. While changing the oil as often as you try to won't do any damage.... to me it seems wasteful I guess. And if you've never tried using synthetic give it a try and watch your gas mileage before and after the change. I think you might be surprised.

Z
Color me in agreement with Zaphod; although the young Zaphod played it safe, this one is right on the money. Particularly if you have the FSS, it will tailor the change intervals to your driving habits, so if you do lots of short trips, etc. you'll be changing it more frequently. I ran Mobil1 in my last car which made me a true believer, I did oil changes in it every 10K with a filter and top off at 5K (and keeping it full as well) and it was still running strong at 160K, this from a Pontiac V6. :)

I will say this much, even in my 210 I notice that the mileage increases a small amount for about 500-1,000 miles following an oil change, and then falls back to what I normally get.

Be that as it may, as he says you're not doing any harm other than to your bank account and the environment, so change away. But stay with certified synthetic oil in the newer MB cars, they were designed for it.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in