LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Central locking

Has anyone detailed instructions regarding Central locking on 1997 S500.

Mine has stopped working and I've tried new remote battery and re-synchro to no avail.

Can't find a manual anywhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 07:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T and others
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
RE: Central locking

The central locking and unlocking of doors trunk and gas lid are handled by the pump under the rear passenger seat. The lectrical inputs from the switch, and from the remote cause the pump to provide pressure to lock and vacuum to unlock. This pump also provides pressure for the lumbar, vacuum for the HVAC when the engine is not running or accelerating. If you unlock the drives door and the others dont it could be the switch on the drivers door element that sends a signal to the pump. If only the remote does not work that is another issue.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for that I'll try that. Neither the remote nor locking the front door with a key causes the other locks to operate. i.e lock or unlock I'll check if there is voltage on the pump motor. I didn't know where it was situated. Where abouts are u in FL I used to live in Naples but now live in the UK.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 05:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

You will find the pump under the seat in a foam enclosure. There was a bulletin around that some mid 90s I dont recall the exact year had a bad internal hose causing it to fail. The good news was that the hose was available as a service part. These pumps do have a safety and time out if they see a leak or can not hold pressure for the lumbar. You can read codes but who has a HHT except the dealer and good shops.
If you cant lock manually, or by remote, chance is that is has failed. I know the close assist pump can be reset by pulling the fuse(s) in the trunk for a moment to reset the pump, I would think this one would do it also. This pump runs forward and backward (pressue/vacuum)
Im on the other side of FL, Palm Beach, where they dont know how to fill out a ballot!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Thanks I'll try that tomorrow. I love Palm Beach, lunch at Taboo in Worth Avenue used to be a regular for me when I lived in Naples. 150 mile round trip for lunch, must have been mad, or perhaps it was just a "democratic decision" .
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 04:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Still one of the "classic" establishments, I wish you sucess on your task. I have had most 140 issues but my the lock pump must be a good one. I read the 140 CD when I get bored, It is a good investment if you work on the car!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)

I note that the forum subject next to your name says 1992 500 s class. My car is in fact 1997. I have had it from new, and never even looked under the hood until recently.However I'm now retired and my dealer wants 800.00 pounds sterling/$1500 US plus fitting if the motor is defective. It'll cost several hundred pounds sterling just to diagnose the fault, so I thought that I would have a look myself. I don't know what the 140 CD is ?????
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 01:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

My wife loves the car, otherwise I could have saved a lot of money. The 140 CD was released by Mercedes this year, and covers all aspects from the year 92 to 2000 on all the 140 body cars 300 thru 600 SEL, SE, S, and the coupe. It is good but not great, and it has owners manuals, wiring diagrams, intro to service info and service bulletins.
The dealers can get it, $200 or less you need a DVD, windows 98 or better and internet explorer to run.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 10:53 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Send a message via MSN to salaburg

Hi Guys.... I have a 1992 400 SEL (I'm in Australia) and I have a problem with the vacuum unit under the rear seat. The self closing pump works fine but there is a problem whereby whenever the boot is closed (not necessarily locked), it locks all 4 doors (was good fun the first time it did it as the key was in the ignition!).

I have had problems with this vacuum unit before in that the lumbar had to be blocked off and the vent controls diconnected. Does anyone have any detailed info on this like the excellent information provided by "Brett" on the close-assist pump. I would be game to change the pump for a new one if it was in the sub $1000 price and not the $2000+ mark that I have been quoted here in OZ.

Any comments appreciated.

Rodd Sala
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 06:29 AM
BenzWorld Elite

That one is a puzzle. The locking pump sits below the rear passenger seat, and provides vacuum and pressure. It provides pressure to operate the lumbars, and stores it in a resevoir. It also produces vacuum to lock/unlock the doors,backup assist rods,supplemental vacuun for the hvac system, headrest release (vacuum headrests) and retracts the handle on the trunk lid.
The pump is controlled by the infrared module (keyless entry)and by the switch built into the drivers side door actuator (open drivers side all others unlock). It is also controlled by microswitches in the two front doors and trunk to lock and unlock. It also is wired to the switch in the door armrest to lock and unlock (newer cars it was moved to the console). It has built in safeties to keep it from building too much pressure, vacuum, and a timing circuit to keep it from running too long.
The only thing that i could immagine that would make it lock all for doors would be a bad switch in the trunk lock or just a bad pump overall.
The pump has three connectors "A" (21) pin. "B" (6) pin for alarm, "c" (6)pin for infra red control.
Errors are supposedly stored and can be red by the impulse counter (dealer)! I hope this helps, mine has been working and the only mod they have ever done was to move the handle to the "close assist" when I had handle issues. There was a service bulletin on that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in