LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to sqkr Send a message via Yahoo to sqkr
(Thread Starter)
1984 300SD .... Problems and I need help.

[:(] Sadly, Buttercup (yes I named my car) seems to have a list of never ending problems. Currently, my biggest problem is the beading in the tires and the over wearing of tires which were in the front but have been rotated to the rear.

Also, my seat- is posessed. It moves on its own and despite the grand efforts (multiple visits) the mechanics cannot seem to figure it out. So, the solution appears to be disconnecting the seat.

Now, the thing is, I'm a student, I'm a girl, and I cannot express to my father that I really wanted soemthing that wasn't going to break down on the roadside leaving me stranded. Yes, it's a great car, yes, it's wonderful on the highways and such, but, I drive in town. Where my "tank" is less than agile and rather frustrating as it shakes at stoplights and other odd behaviors.

The real question: is it worth it? There seem to be endless repairs needing to be made and I know that the moment I'm left to pay for the car- I will never be able to afford it! How can I approach this with my family? Because I brought it up, but I don't think anyone sees how much it may be to make this car run! We've already delt with many issues- and after a while, I'm not so sure....

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 08:50 AM
gzt
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: ML320, S430
RE: 1984 300SD .... Problems and I need help.

its a pretty old vehicle.

1. tire wear - it may indicate the front geometry is off. It is a common thing for such old vehicle. You may check with a good mechanic to verify/correct it - the whole geometry - not just allignement

2. seat moving - it may be a simple short - just check the wires for cracts, especially near the rails

3. engine shaking at idle - its diesel - if all the injectors are clean and set for the same pressure - it should be pretty smooth - just generating a bit more noise (whats a nice noise :) - I love diesels)
It is possible that the fuel pump needs some adjustements - my be costly if requires more than that.

Overall - if you do not have desire to work on the vehicle by yourself it may be costly. Such an old car needs a lot of love to keep running (and $$$).
I would suggest to get something around '95 if you do not want to spend to much money and still drive a Merc. In the city diesel is not a good idea unless its a direct injection diesel. The acceleration of the old diesels is not very impressive but on the highway its just great.
I would suggest to look into a E-Class '95 and up - if you like a mercedes , you will like the change.

Greg
'82 300TD, '87 300SDL, '87 190E,
'95 S320, '00 S430, '01 ML320, '06 S500
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 07:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE

Usually when people start asking such questions they have already decided to get rid of the car. Sad thing is you’ve already got a very reliable car.

A shaky OM 617 can be caused by worn motor mounts, clogged fuel filters, or a need for a valve adjustment.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Ya, next week the car goes in to see what all needs to be done. The problem is, I'm a freshman in college, and as soon as my parents change the car from something that "I am allowed to drive" to my car- meaning I then have to pay for repairs- there's no way I could afford it.

I'd rather have something a bit more affordable...but I dont know how to present that argument. We'll see how much $$ it will cost for everything. But the mechanic said we're looking at $1000 to rechrome the wheels or $400 to buy new ones. To me, it seems more sensible to sell it, afterall, we've put almost enough into this car to buy a new car or truck!

I'm just not sure when to call it quits on the repairs and send the car to a better home.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 04:29 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 1995 S 320
Send a message via AIM to jmul

may be as simple as taking it out on the hwy and run it up to a high speed for good long drive, these diesels dont like city traffic day in and day out. I think its referred to here as an "Italian tune up" this may cure a lot of your problems? Least expensive to start with, as long as you dont get one of those speeding tickets!!

1995 S320 91,000 miles and going strong
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 05:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

The Laughing Cajun’s right – a good high-speed run could burn off some accumulated carbon in the prechambers.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 07:10 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

what state or country you live? there is plenty help in all the mercedes forums.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

well, I dont dare take it over 80 mph because of the car and the tire condition.... normally it would settle down over 70 but now it is more sqirelly
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

plenty of help= what do you mean?

I live in California- NORTHERN though so there's only one good place to work on my car.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 10:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

I’d prioritize new tires, then. Even at 60 or 65 the engine should heat enough to burn off carbon buildup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in