post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jun 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to bensam
(Thread Starter)
breakes and calipers

1985 500 SEL, I just replaced breaks and calipers for the front , the first time the driver side break locked after I drove it about a one mi. then I replaced the break line for driver side it was old, next day I drove it about 2.5 miles started to lock the other side and smoke stared to come out. this time drive side was ok. Help what is going on!!! everything is new for front break.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 11:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

You didn't mention if you bought new or rebuilt or performance or...?

Depending upon where you obtained the calipers they are probably the culprit. I've done loaded (rebuilt) calipers in the past on other vehicles and in one case they'd been sitting in the store long enough that there was corrosion built up in one of the calipers that caused the piston to stick and drag. FYI before you install anything other than a brand-new caliper I'd recommend opening the bleeder screw and pulling the cap off the hose connector, pouring in some proper fluid for your vehicle and then working the piston(s) back and forth several times by hand -- they should move freely, if not I wouldn't put them on my car. Might be worth removing yours and seeing if the piston(s) moves freely throughout the range of motion.

It's also possible that there is some small difference between the calipers you bought and the stock ones and/or they are not mounted properly (or there's a difference that prevents them from mounting properly) so they are "cocking" at an angle and forcing contact with a pad. If you remove the pads you'll see if they are hitting at an angle and if so, that's probably the issue.

Good luck!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jun 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to bensam
(Thread Starter)
RE: breakes and calipers

Thanks Greg,
I just find out that I used the wrong wheel bearings grease, it was not the right temperature. The guy who did the work pick the wrong grease. I am going to take it a part this weekend. I am hoping the bearings are ok!!!
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: