LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
damage on new car

i have what was a great looking clk240, iolith blue, with pebble interior plus acces. it hasnt had its first service and the nong next door reversed out and into its side. my wifes pride and joy sustained only a small dent but which will necessitat e the whole side being resprayed. no probs with the damage, its insured. what worries me is the $15k i dropped when i drove it off the showroom floor, 8mths ago. it will not have factory paint anymore and the interior side will be dismantled and put back together again. i may as well have bought a second hand one.

has any one any knowledge as to whether this will reduce the vehicles value when it is traded (every time i have side a car the dealer askeds, has it been involved in a prang, i mean what do they ask that for unless it matters).

Does this mean i cant show it.

it isnt the same car to me anymore and really i am thinking about getting rid of it. has anyone else been thru this crap and what did they do to recoup the capital loss which will ensue i.e the property repairs are one thing but loss will nevertheless occur because of the damage repairs (i should say that it is being repaired at perfect smash the best mercedes repairer in sydney and probably australia).

Cheers

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 09:44 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
RE: damage on new car

I don't know about disclosure laws in your territory, but in many states in the U.S. , you must tell if your vehicle has had damage and body/frame repairs. It really sux when you spend the cash you did to buy a nice car and some inattentive prickle damages what you have worked for.

The dealer I bought my ML430 from tried to conceal from me the fact that it had been in a rear end collision. I ran a Car-Fax on it and found the wreck report. It was still a car-fax recommended vehicle, but the dealer knocked off an additional $1,800 (They tried to offer as a Starmark but it had been damaged so they pulled it) just to avoid having to wholesale it at auction. They of course, claimed they did not know it had been damaged even though they themselves fixed it ( and done a good job, too!).

It will definitely reduce the value of your car for several reasons, all of which you are already aware. The stealer will give you less on a trade in. That is just universal nature... no one wants damaged goods. The fact that you are wanting to get rid of it is proof it is worth less than it would be in an undamaged state.

I hate insurance companies. They want to fix your car but they are unwilling to reemburse you for the lost value that it sustained. It should be a choice to buy full value replacement on your car, but I do not know of a case where it's offered.

Insurance only obligation is to repair your vehicle in like-new condition. I don't think you will be able to recoup your loss unless you try to get it from the other guygal personally.

Sorry this happened to you.[:(]
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 05:24 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 300TE 4-Matic 300GD

Hi Peter.

First of all, I sympathize completely. Having a nice new Benz dented is no fun at all. But I don't see why it can't be great looking again. A good shop and painter can make a 100 procent repair. Having the interior dismantled by pros is very seldom traceable afterwards. Things do happen to cars after they have left the factory. You may theoretically already have shop paint on your side.

Concider this. You live in Australia. That means the new cars arrive by boat. Lets say one driver scratches the side while driving ashore. Do you think that car will not be sold? Or sold with a discount? It will most certainly be sold as a new car, and you won't know a thing. And it's a perfectly straight thing to do. If something should be wrong with the repair, it will be taken care of. By guarantee.

What you're after when you ask questions about prior accidents is hard impacts. Hard impacts with chassis deformations raise the possibility for rust later, and possible material weakness contributing to greater damage in the next accident. And those who really press their cars to the limit, might feel uneven flexing in the body due to fortifications, making certain parts on one side stiffer.

The good thing about newer MB's, is they crumble up pretty good in an accident, even at city speeds. That makes them very safe, and more cost efficient for the insurance companies. And less tempting to redo. Replacing the car is much cheaper than replacing the driver and passengers. That's where the gain lies. I belive in the near future replacing will be cheaper than redoing, especially in countries with high work force cost. It's just math, and when they shovel out less, there's more room for replacing. I see this as a clear trend.

A tip might be to have the same dealer doing the selling, repair, and trade in. That way they can't use it against you. Just a thought.

When I bought my used 300 in Germany, I had a Dane smashing into my left rear door/wheel in Denmark on my way home. Man, was I furious. But I still have it, and it has never really bothered me. I even had the rear wheel knocked out of line, and had to correct that temporary in Denmark. Today, it steers totally straight, and only the bad paint job gives a clue to the damage.

Regards

Geir

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 04:48 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 2000 CLK55

Hi Max,
I purchased a 2000 "Starmarque" clk55 in Nov 2004 from GBrothers, the car had a quite a few problems so to verify the milage i (43,000 km's when purchased) i got in touch with the previous owner and was told by him that the car had been in an accedent. I did not ask GBrothers and they never told me, thinking an accedent would preclude a Mercedes Benz being a "Starmarqued" warranted car, but maybe i was wrong.
If you find out about any Federal Laws in Australia relating to accedent disclosure please let me know.

Regards David
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
(Thread Starter)

Hi David,

thanks for your reply. its not a nice feeling knowing your pride and joy isnt the same as when it came off the factory line.

i dont know anything about starmarque except it is MB warrantied second hand sales.

Another site i agonized in resulted in a email back from the u.s which detailed that accident damaged vehicles are excluded from the u.s starmarque system. i dont know anything about it here but will make a few inquiries as i do not know what to do with my formerly perfect/beautiful car, i.e sell now or sell later. how much will i lose on the trade?? (type of thing).

Bet your car goes well, whats it like with the biggy!!

Cheers

peter
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 11:16 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 2000 CLK55

Hi Peter,
The car does most things well, i bought it because the Porsche Turbo i had just wasn't practical and as i wanted to do some touring i looked for something else the the clk55 seemed to fit the bill.
But that dealership....oh boy !!! i believe most of the probs listed should have and could have been found and fixed during the first 116 point inspection that is promised with a "Starmarque" warranted car.

you may find this link of some value as its an Aussie forum.

http://www.mbcnsw.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 01:50 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2004
Vehicle: 1978 450SE
Send a message via AIM to RoxyBlonde451

A lot of the dealerships have newbies starmarking the cars, along with the tech they are working under. If the tech does not verify all the points checked, a lot can slip by. Say the tech is doing something else at the time, or does not check the apprentices work then it could hurt the dealer if it's purchased, then the damage is found.

Depending on the amount of time that has gone by they could try to say it was you that did it. It gets messy.

If frame damage is found, it has to be reported to the Service Manager or Foreman, he/she checks the car, and if there is definate damage then the car BY LAW is not to be starmarked. Otherwise lawsuits will ensue.

At least that's the way it is here in the states, and the dealership I'm with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in