BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 300TE 4-Matic 300GD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Top and near bottom in average wrecking age

Hi all.

It's weird seeing a company at the very top and at the same time almost at the bottom. That's probably what you get when one mixes top quality with Mr. Scrooge views.

One thing is clear. People do not wreck their cars to make anything fit into anyones views. That makes average wrecking age hard evidence. People do not hold on to junk. Even a Rolls turns into junk in the end. It's the time taken that counts. Very often it will be a single flawing part that does the trick. A car with many expensive parts should therefore be prone to early wrecking. In MB's case it has never interfered with high wrecking average age. But it certainly will in the future.

Here's a little statisical snack from Norway. These lists will vary from country to country, and marked to marked. But one thing stays the same. MB on top, and Chrysler near the bottom.

• Mercedes Benz 21,4
• Volvo 20,8
• Saab 19,8
• Volkswagen 19,4
• Audi 19,1
• BMW 18,9
• Mazda 18,9
• Opel 18,6
• Ford 18,5
• Toyota 18,5
• Citroën 18,4
• Nissan 18,1
• Honda 17,9
• Mitsubishi 17,4
• Fiat 17,3
• Daihatsu 16,9
• Peugeot 16,8
• GAZ Lada 16,6
• Renault 16,5
• Chrysler 16
• Skoda 12,8
• Seat 10,8
• Other brands 17,4

These numbers a based on cars delivered to wreck yards only. It's not the complete picture. Cars prone to accidents for different reasons come into the picture. When you add parameters to the list it's not in MB's favour. Quite a lot of new MB's are lost. But MB is still on top. For now.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 09:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Thanks, Geir

Great info and I tend to agree with your philosphy about the future. Hopefully the shared technology will improve Chrysler's products and their dime-store attitude won't bleed over to Daimler. [;)] And thanks for distilling the info from the report into something a little easier to read.

For those of you who might be confused as I initially was, remember that in Europe the comma can be substituted for the decimal, so the "21,4" for MB in Geir's list is actually "21.4". And just to further clarify, the number is the average age of the vehicles scrapped in Norway for calendar year 2004.

Thanks again, Geir.[:)]
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 300TE 4-Matic 300GD
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RE: Thanks, Geir

Hi Gregs.

Your welcome. Thank you for the clarification.

Life expectancy is a relative thing. If you know for sure when you buy a new car that you're not going to own it when it reaches scrapping age, you probably don't care about it at all. When enough people do that, and especially when the prime German market doesn't put that much into it, MB won't either. Fair enough, because these guys are in a rat race, and margins count.

The transition from top quality, no mercy policy to the VW and maybe Chrysler style, "you get exactly what you pay for" policy is difficult for the MB organization. I feel sorry for those buying a 10 - 15 year old 1997 to 2001 model. Those cars will be sort of bastards. Not the old. Not the new.

That's why I predict these model will pull down average wrecking age conciderably in the future. The importer is already struggeling with all the W210's in for guarantee rust repairs. And the W211's and Vianos are frequently in for a recall upgrades. On top the importer also import Peugeot to Norway. And they are recalling all of the 307's because of self ignition. An organization under stress will be prone to errata in their normal ordinary work. Because it is squeezed in between. That will not be MB's favour in reliability tests.

Average wrecking age at a certain year says a lot about the past, but very little of the present. But there are many indicators one can use. A lot of organizations conduct their own research into different matters. Some of them are very useful for measuring the current status. Here's an example.

If you click on the Adobe reader file under the article, a list of cars with faults per 100 cars will come up. There you'll see that the BMW 3-series is slightly ahead of the C class. And that Skoda Octavia has fewer faults than the E class. Chrysler is not on the list. It's based on written interviews with 12 154 owners in Sweden. And the average amount of faults per 100 cars are 77. Just where the E class lies. The Renault Megane fetches 166 per 100 at the bottom. Toyota reigns at the top with Yaris and RAV4 with 42. (Bottom is top here)

Now, this is just statistics. In real life, world wide, the picture may be different. But I don't think it's way off. Either every one has caught up, or MB has slacked the lead, I don't know.

It would be very interesting to see test results where MB scores good with current models. And the S class is unfortunately almost never included in such tests. I wonder if they would contribute to higher scores. One should think so. I very seldom come over them in trouble, and when I do, it's mostly flat battery or tire.

Personally, I've just had a little awakening. The company I work for has internal freight for most importers of cars in Oslo. All the guys chip in and we sometimes move cars for special occasions as well. Lately Lexus has put a lot of effort in selling, with many displays at folksome locations. So I've been in and out of some quite hefty stuff lately. That RX400 (I think) really impressed me. I might get to borrow one for test some day. But all Lexus cars radiate quality like a good old fashioned propaganda poster. And had they sold more cars in Sweden, I'm sure they would have topped that list.

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: