post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jun 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to derekmiles
(Thread Starter)
What to expect - Merc 280E 1984

I would like to know a little more about a 280E 1984 that's done 35K miles and is a one owner. In pristine 'classic' order. An asking price of £4000 which appears rather high but, the dealers would like my Rolls-Royce Shadow 2 1980 and this is all that you would expect to see in a classic RR SS2. I'm asking three times the amount than the Mercedes.
The things that interest me are the lousy points and gremlins, the MPG, parts availability, handling, performance, quietness and ease of 'home' maintenance etc. I'm UK based. Kindest regards to all.

PS I'm a newby ! Extra PS I'm in my mid 70's but a qualified mechanical and electrical engineer, ex race driver (Saloons) now a Land Rover overlander !!
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 04:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
RE: What to expect - Merc 280E 1984

The models after 1977 tend to be slower and consume more fuel. The dual overhead cam engine is also somewhat noisy, since the valve train is set much closer to ear level. That being said, they are the best driving MB sedan, and the engine is incredibly reliable. I have no problem getting parts for my 83 280SL here in the states. I've owned two other 280 sedans over the years. Both of them drove for decades, reaching 300,000 miles on the odometer. For all I know, someone is still driving them today, as I sold them all in running condition.

I have seen pristine 280Es here in the states going for between $2800 to $4000 US. That makes the price of yours very high in comparision.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 09:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: What to expect - Merc 280E 1984

You’re looking at a w123 chassis with the 185 hp M110 engine, very desirable if cared for. 123s are very DIY friendly. The engine bay is clean and uncluttered. This was the last of the utilitarian MBs. Build quality of the chassis is outstanding, my 24 year old diesel 123 is completely rattle-free.

Check the rear axle assembly and boots for wear along with the flex discs and front end. These cars tend to have front end and steering issues, but with your car that may not be a problem. Front and rear window seal leaks are common resulting in wet trunks and foot wells. The vacuum system for the locks can also be problematic. Check the hood spring recesses in the engine bay for debris as this causes rust, rust is also common around the battery and wheel wells.

At around 3500 lbs. the 123 is stable on the road and a joy to drive in town – in may respects it is a perfect all-around car, just as it was designed to be. Handling is excellent on rough roads and uneven pavement, they have a nice almost ‘off road’ ground clearance so bottoming out is not an issue. With no overhang you can take them over curbs or up steep hills with no problem. Visibility is excellent. There is no ABS or airbag, although an option only a small number of cars were so equipped.

If you’re a mechanic and like to work on your own car, this is it.

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: