post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 2005 E55 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rear-Seat Entertainment System

Just got my first Benz. 2005 E55. Saved my nickels for a long time -- It was worth the wait!!

I would like to get a rear-seat entertainment system installed, preferrably screens in the headrests. Does anybody have any advice??

I would suspect this has to be a common question as it seems MB no longer offers such a thing.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 07:35 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
RE: Rear-Seat Entertainment System

The only factory OEM rear seat system for the W211 that I am aware of is the single monitor mounted in the rear of the center console like the new M class has. This is not offered on North American W211 models but can be retrofitted for those with unlimited budgets. The video system has DVD and CD/DVD based MP3 playback in the HU and it is plug and play. Adding a universal TV Tuner or the rear monitor is a major job and the parts are megabucks.

Potato Chip, custom canuter valve, low-friction muffler bearings, synthetic turn signal fluid, Hi-Definition Progressive Scan Wiper Blades.
Law-makers are supposed to regulate in the interest of the public as opposed to regulating in the interest of the regulated party.
If it says Pratt and Whitney on the outside it better say Martin Baker on the inside.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 10:01 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: E320

Geez, does no one Google anymore?. I did and got "Results 1 - 10 of about 85,300 for Headrest DVD players. (0.32 seconds)"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Headrest+DVD+players&btnG=Google+Se arch

'99 E320 (bought 2/05 w/27K certified miles)
'04 V70R 300hp stock before chip, downpipe, etc
'00 Taurus
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 04:07 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Rear seat entertainment system??- pretty girl,short skirt,no knickers[:p]

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Let me know when you through that list of 85,300...[:)]
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Know any?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 05:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: W203 modified
Send a message via MSN to miroj Send a message via Skype™ to miroj

[QUOTE]n5160u - 6/13/2005 11:35 PM

The only factory OEM rear seat system for the W211 that I am aware of is the single monitor mounted in the rear of the center console like the new M class has. This is not offered on North American W211 models but can be retrofitted for those with unlimited budgets. The video system has DVD and CD/DVD based MP3 playback in the HU and it is plug and play. Adding a universal TV Tuner or the rear monitor is a major job and the parts are megabucks QUOTE]

Compared to the cost of the car the parts are just a few percent of the value. I installed TV into an E55 single handed yesterday at a leisurely pace. It was one of the most enjoyable installs.

"Unlimited budgets" is a bit severe considering that you already own the car. You should be speaking to Steve at www.mbenznl.com

He has done a handful of TV + Rear screen deals in the last 12 months.

Modz ... enjoy the difference. www.benzmodz.com
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 06:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
TheKompressor - 6/10/2005 1:45 AM

Just got my first Benz. 2005 E55. Saved my nickels for a long time -- It was worth the wait!!

I would like to get a rear-seat entertainment system installed, preferrably screens in the headrests. Does anybody have any advice??

I would suspect this has to be a common question as it seems MB no longer offers such a thing.

Thanks!
Both C-Class and E-Class have rear screen headrests and this can be bought from steve@mbenznl.com

I recently completed such an install and it was really top notch. Each screen has the independent selection of up to 3 sources. In the car shown it is also equipped with 80GB DVIX player boasting the capacity of nearly 100 movies.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 10:44 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350

The car in the picture I posted was a USA model that was upgraded. I only posted the pictures of the OEM rear display to show what could be done. Using rear headrest displays make a lot more sense because they are much less costly than the single rear display the factory offers. What I would consider as the ideal setup would be the OEM DVD/MP3 head Unit for $1500 plus the OEM Remote so the back seaters can control the DVD playback, with aftermarket rear headrest displays.

Here's the price list in USD for parts from MBDoctor in Brooklyn NY:

W211 Head Unit with DVD MP3 playback... $1500
OEM MOST TV Tuner for W211... $1100
OEM Rear Monitor... $1199
OEM Rear Monitor Mounting Arm... $350
OEM MOST TV Tuner Power Harness... $250
TV Antenna... $300
TV Antenna Harness... $250
OEM Remote Control... $199

The total for parts comes to $5148 and is why I consider this type of upgrade in the mega bucks range.

Labor to install is extra. Most car buyers in the USA make payments on their cars. Setting up time payments for this type of retrofit isn't as easy an option unless they have a lot of room on their credit cards to cover over five grand just for the parts up front. This type of installation with OEM parts is really excessivly expensive. Retrofitting with aftermarket headrest monitors would cost less than half the price of just the OEM rear display alone provided you already have the DVD/MP3 capable head unit.

Potato Chip, custom canuter valve, low-friction muffler bearings, synthetic turn signal fluid, Hi-Definition Progressive Scan Wiper Blades.
Law-makers are supposed to regulate in the interest of the public as opposed to regulating in the interest of the regulated party.
If it says Pratt and Whitney on the outside it better say Martin Baker on the inside.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 03:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
n5160u - 6/18/2005 2:44 PM

The car in the picture I posted was a USA model that was upgraded. I only posted the pictures of the OEM rear display to show what could be done. Using rear headrest displays make a lot more sense because they are much less costly than the single rear display the factory offers. What I would consider as the ideal setup would be the OEM DVD/MP3 head Unit for $1500 plus the OEM Remote so the back seaters can control the DVD playback, with aftermarket rear headrest displays.

Here's the price list in USD for parts from MBDoctor in Brooklyn NY:

W211 Head Unit with DVD MP3 playback... $1500
OEM MOST TV Tuner for W211... $1100
OEM Rear Monitor... $1199
OEM Rear Monitor Mounting Arm... $350
OEM MOST TV Tuner Power Harness... $250
TV Antenna... $300
TV Antenna Harness... $250
OEM Remote Control... $199

The total for parts comes to $5148 and is why I consider this type of upgrade in the mega bucks range.

Labor to install is extra. Most car buyers in the USA make payments on their cars. Setting up time payments for this type of retrofit isn't as easy an option unless they have a lot of room on their credit cards to cover over five grand just for the parts up front. This type of installation with OEM parts is really excessivly expensive. Retrofitting with aftermarket headrest monitors would cost less than half the price of just the OEM rear display alone provided you already have the DVD/MP3 capable head unit.

I should point out some items which may assist you.

- The head unit exchange from MBENZNL is somewhat more reasonable in conjunction with the rear screen purchase

- installing who-flung-antennas would be a lousy idea since the real Mercedes TV amplfier that goes on the rear glass is about that price

- the cost of cable harness from the above supplier is very expensive. Much more than I would have anticipated.

- The TV tuner is 2X what I would expect to pay. I dont see anyone paying $1100 when they sell for $500 on German eBay and just a little more than that with Steve (MBENZNL).

- Since when does the monitor come without an arm ? I think that is purely smoke and mirrors.

Im sorry to say that your impression is governed by what seems to be an elite form of pricing. Some of these lesser items are too expensive.

To put it in perspective

this would by my shopping list
- exchange headunit with rear screen ability
- rear screen with arms and remote control
- main video harness, fibre optic strand, antenna harness and rear screen harness
- tv tuner (and maybe trunk liner and bracket - not needed in AU).
- right hand side amplifier for rear window

As a single purchase I think you could do much better than stated through MBENZNL. I dont know what you may think is more useful in your case but I know that Steve has sold more Euro W211 headunits into the USA than anyone else.

At the top of the list is resale value and genuine parts. The only reason I used headrest screens was that it was for a C55 which does not have a rear screen.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in