BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jun 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: 1992 300SD
i have the same car with 235K and i had it since 155K asside from some "jiggle" in the steering wheel at certain highway speeds 50-65 its an ok car( the car is heavy and sends the tires out-of-round ). This jiggle problem seems to be a factory defect and i have read that they issued a cash rebate to owners twards purchase of their next benz. if you cant do most of the repair work yourself and the previous owner did not stay on top of things you might be in for some hefty extra expenses.
look out for
-The famous A/C evaporator see if it was already changed if not, for sure it will be comming soon and its a big job ( $2000 - 2500.00 )
- check the wiring harness to the glow plugs and oil pressure sensor ( is it falling apart ? )
- Does it have an original stereo in it with BOSE amplifier in the Trunk? If the stereo is Snap Cracklin and Popin the amp is shot and its due for a fix $ 500.00
- oil consuption between oil changes. mine takes 1-2 quarts in 3000 miles.
- engine operation temp. if running near 100 then you may need, injectors, radiator, fan clutch ect...have they been changed?
- is the turbo original ?
-how often was oil changed?
- is there lifter noise in the engine?
- has the timing chain and tensioner been changed?
- has the injection pump been re-sealed ?
- when was the transmission rebuilt?
- when ( if ) was the front end was rebuilt ( upper control arms, lower are bushings, tie rods, drag-link. thats also a big job. very difficult to do at home.
- was the drive shaft center u-joint rebuilt yet?
- are all the vacume pumps working ? Door sucker and lock locker ?
the price should you pay for the car should be low say 6-9K.
make sure all bells and whissles work and bring it to a shop to check the engine ( a rebuilt one is over $6k. )
besides that its a nice car.