LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: May 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
99 E329 two keys won't start

key malfunctioning problem on my 99E320 at 40K miles.
When key is in ignition and turned, cannot fire up the engine. The starter keeps cranking without you holding the key.
My friend experienced similar problem with his ML and said there is a malfunctioning chip inside the key and not recognized by the engine resulting in sending an engine kill signal to disable the car, an anti theft design. He ordered new key from the dealer with programing at total $120.
Drove to wife office to get 2nd key and it worked and fired up the engine. After that, the first key also worked.
A week later, it happened again. Now both keys don't work. Stranded at night, called MBZ 24 hours service. Operator instructed to use manual key to lock and unlock the door, then use the original key to start again. Won't work and MBZ operator now says it is the fuel injector/engine not getting gasoline and the car must be towed to MBZ dealership for repair.
As there is no dealership service open at Saturday night, return to car after dinner, 3 hours later. Using original key, the car started, and the second key also worked.

What seems to be the problem? The keys, or the engine will start only when cold or 2-3 hours after the engine cools down?

Someone also suggested in case of car computer problem showing malfunctioning display, disconnect the battery and reconnect after 5-10 minutes. The computer will reset itself. Would that solve some of the problem?

One MBZ service writer suggested either Cranking Sensor or fuel injector problem. But the car starts after returning 2-3 hours later. Any advice/help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 12:10 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: 99 Clk 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: 99 E329 two keys won't start

first of all, the starter is supposed to continue to crank after turning the key. You are not supposed to hold the key in the start position. I have been having similiar problems and have also been told about the crankshaft sensor and also greasing the starter pinion. after research i found that the starter is positioned close to the exhaust and has a tendency of overheating and drying out the start pinion. i will update if i hear anything else. if u were able to remedy problem, please let me know what u did?

99 clk 320: flat carlsson hood emblem, K&N air filter, big star sports grille, PIAA extreme white fogs/low & high beam and parking lights (wheels and spoilers next)
84 300 SDall stock) 302,000 miles and running strong...gotta love diesel
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: