BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 320 CLK
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Old_Mil Send a message via MSN to Old_Mil
(Thread Starter)
Engine Temp Rising

The engine temperature gauge on my 2001 320CLK convertible is "rising".

It never gets into the red at 120 but gets up around 100, but I would think that for a car with 17,000 miles that I should be seeing pretty much a steady 80 on the temp gauge with little change based on accelration/driving conditions.

Took it to the shop and they diagnosed a bad thermostat. This has changed the "speed" at which the temp gauge moves, but it still moves. It has also *increased* slightly the base operating temp at highway speeds from just over 80 to about 90.

Is this something I should just ignore? A head gasket problem? I bought the vehicle used - a starmark certified car - and am starting to wonder if there's something else wrong (wrecked and rebuilt? odometer rollback?).

I've never seen such a "new" car with so few miles have this much variation on the engine temp gauge. Every healthy benz engine I've seen runs around 80 with little or no variation. Am I right in saying this is how it's supposed to be? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 320 CLK
Send a message via AIM to Old_Mil Send a message via MSN to Old_Mil
(Thread Starter)
RE: Engine Temp Rising

Further information. I took it back to the dealer reporting the same problem. They said that they checked the "coolant" temperature and that it was within normal limits and that there was nothing they could do.

Am I the only one who thinks that on a Mercedes engine with 18,500 miles you shouldn't be seeing any noticeable changes on the temp gauage based on city vs. highway driving?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 05:35 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 1995 C 280
RE: Engine Temp Rising - A Similar problem

I have a 1995 C 280 with 67.5 K miles on it .I too have started having this problem after the water pump was replaced by the dealer about 4 weeks ago. The normal operating temp is around 90 now, when previously it was slightly above 80. During local driving it has gone up to a 100when previously it was always below 100. I have gone back to dealer and they say everything in the coolant system checks out ok.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 07:46 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 300TE 4-Matic 300GD

Hi Old Mil.

What you have experienced is very common. And not always a problem. It depends on the customer, and if he or she notices or not. In your case it's probably still connected with your thermostat.

Many shops get in cars with an abnormal engine temperature all the time, without any comments or worries from the customers. Very many owners wouldn't notice a 10 degree rise. As long as nothing goes into the red, or warning lights start shining. And their cars keep coming in for service without any major problems, year after year.

When you watch this pattern for years, it's only natural letting these cars pass through service without doing anything about it. And MB does have a rather wide acceptance range concerning coolant temperature.

Anyway, I think if a car has had a certain temperature in the past, it should have the same in the future. But, then again, I'm sort of picky.

Air pockets in the cooling system, or a bad thermostat is my tip. Sometimes, in Norway at least, if a dealer has to pay for the part, he might use a cheap unoriginal one just to get the problem out of this world.

Regards

Geir

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 09:04 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 2005 E320 cdi

Nordstern makes a good point. I've been embarrased twice by Eurpoean cars-A Peugeot and a Volvo Diesel. If the cooling system is not bled properly the vehicle will run hot. We sent a Peugeot to the shop in Europe that had lost a radiator cap. After replacing the cap it still overheated. After sendng it to the shop it turned out that I had not properly bled the cooling system. Air pockets caused it to overheat. Years before I changed a water pump on a volvo 200 series diesel wagon. I filled the radiator with straight coolant and couldn't figure why it ran hot. I took it to a friend of mine's shop, told him what I had done and we diluted the coolant to manufacturers specs. The temperature dropped to where it was before the replacement!
Hope this helps!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 09:42 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2005

with that mileage the radiator should`nt be clogged up a problem many cars have with the newer type rad`s are the cooling fans on? thermostat hmm maybe but doubt it, miles rolled back or wrecked , after cars has run and is hot put your hand in the front of rad and feels for cold spots and feel hoses for being to tight maybe headgaskets bad, just at that mileage it should run between between 80 and 100 depending on outside temp and a/c on ot not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in