Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 07:53 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 2000 ML320,1998 Volvo S70,2001 Ford Ranger
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The recall letter does cover how to receive reimbrusment if you have had the work done. I didn't read the details because I took my ML in to the dealer and they replaced the hb.
post #63 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 05:37 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Hello,..I just purchased an 99 E320 in GREAT condition until the HB spun off the block. NO collateral damage though.

I was responsible for the $$ of a NEW serpine belt. MB charged me $60

The service from MB was very good to include absorbing the tow charge and rental car
post #64 of 117 (permalink) Old 07-01-2006, 10:18 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2006
Hi all. I just registered and thought I would weigh in on this subject. A quick way to tell if you have the affected ballancers is to use your hand and check which bolt is holding it on. If you have an internal wrenching,(allen),bolt it is most likely the affected HB.If you have the "normal" external wrenching bolt it was either replaced or not the "bad"part number. NOTE! Wait for the car to cool down before doing this! It will be very hot in there if you have just been driving it.
A note about dealers. Remember that most of the time in a warranty situation, the dealer is limited by Mercedes/Chrysler in what they can or can't do. If MB/C won't pay for something, then either the dealer "eat's" the cost or passes the cost on to you. Chrysler has become somewhat Draconian in their waranty policies. The 1st thing they did after the merger was cut the waranty time guide in half. I am a profesional MB tech at a high profile dealer and I now make half of what I made 4 years ago. We are as frustrated as you by recent changes. If we are inspecting your car during service and see something wrong,(ie. a leak, or a worn bushing, or whatever),we cannot repair it because you did not bring it to our attention. The factory refers to this as "selling waranty" and no longer allows it,as is most american factory's policy. This is how they make a corp profitable for it's shareholders, they cut cost's, and this is the result. So next time your at the dealer remember, in most cases your advisor and his tech's are doing the most that they can under the restrictions that have been placed on them. Sorry for the rant. Drive safe.
post #65 of 117 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 09:17 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benztoofar
Hi all. I just registered and thought I would weigh in on this subject. A quick way to tell if you have the affected ballancers is to use your hand and check which bolt is holding it on. If you have an internal wrenching,(allen),bolt it is most likely the affected HB.If you have the "normal" external wrenching bolt it was either replaced or not the "bad"part number. NOTE! Wait for the car to cool down before doing this! It will be very hot in there if you have just been driving it.
A note about dealers. Remember that most of the time in a warranty situation, the dealer is limited by Mercedes/Chrysler in what they can or can't do. If MB/C won't pay for something, then either the dealer "eat's" the cost or passes the cost on to you. Chrysler has become somewhat Draconian in their waranty policies. The 1st thing they did after the merger was cut the waranty time guide in half. I am a profesional MB tech at a high profile dealer and I now make half of what I made 4 years ago. We are as frustrated as you by recent changes. If we are inspecting your car during service and see something wrong,(ie. a leak, or a worn bushing, or whatever),we cannot repair it because you did not bring it to our attention. The factory refers to this as "selling waranty" and no longer allows it,as is most american factory's policy. This is how they make a corp profitable for it's shareholders, they cut cost's, and this is the result. So next time your at the dealer remember, in most cases your advisor and his tech's are doing the most that they can under the restrictions that have been placed on them. Sorry for the rant. Drive safe.
Hey thanks! That's good/interesting information--about the HB and D/C restrictions. My dealer techs have been very helpful in the past, but I have noticed that they do not pick up on prospective problems like they used to.

And welcome!
Attached Images

Don't believe everything you think
post #66 of 117 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 03:31 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: '99 e240 wagon/estate. '56 190b Ponton. '64 220se Fintail. '82 Citroen Dyane
don't mean to sound dumb-but what exactly does a harmonic balancer do?and should i start panicking?
post #67 of 117 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 05:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by oolongcolluphid
don't mean to sound dumb-but what exactly does a harmonic balancer do?and should i start panicking?
Please do a search...
Attached Images

post #68 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 06:46 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2006
Thanks to this Forum

I never received a recall letter so I had no clue about the defective HB. The MB rep said the letter was sent to a wrong address! It broke after 33,000 miles. Luckily I was not stranded on my way to Las Vegas. Thanks to this site I was able to get MB to reimurse the cost ($430) by submitting the receipt to the local dealer. All you need to do is to call Mercedes with your VIN and they will tell you whether your car is coverd.
post #69 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 08:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by yang2828
I never received a recall letter so I had no clue about the defective HB. The MB rep said the letter was sent to a wrong address! It broke after 33,000 miles. Luckily I was not stranded on my way to Las Vegas. Thanks to this site I was able to get MB to reimurse the cost ($430) by submitting the receipt to the local dealer. All you need to do is to call Mercedes with your VIN and they will tell you whether your car is coverd.
Congratulations! And Welcome!!
Attached Images

post #70 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 09:12 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2006
real money

I had never heard of a harmonic balancer before. When the car started making noises I looked under the hood and saw a rubber belt lying on the pan below. It's always good when you can "see" the problem. I fished it out with a coat hanger and took it to the service station. The mechanic knew right away but he was not able to explain it's function clearly.

I found this site after a while and thanks to Greg, Jayhawk and others I got a real education. Although I still can't figure out how the rubber belt worked itself out from behind the serpentine belt which is in front of it. Neither belt was cut or torn.

Thanks again for clueing me in on the rebate! That's real money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in