LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 117 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 12:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
RE: Harmonic Balancer Recall: Key Points

Thanks Greg: That IS amazing! It's also amazing that I can understand it--thanks to your excellent explanation.

Now I am worried that I might be on the recall list. Any time-frame on getting all 350K letters out?

Gene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 117 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Hey, Gene.

If you go back to the initial post in this thread, you'll see how to determine if your car model/year is potentially included, and if so you can then actually look at the part number on your HB to see if yours is one of the two included in the recall campaign. (Don't go to the effort of looking -- it's a pain -- until you're sure your car/year is already in the suspect group.) What I did was carry a flashlight and open the hood every time I shut off the engine (at least if it was safe and reasonable to do so) and check the HB. The number is stamped on the outside perimeter of the HB (so it's facing up, down, left or right depending upon how the engine stops) and ultimately it will stop so you can read it. Took me about 4 times if I remember right. :)

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg
post #33 of 117 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 01:42 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 2000 E320
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

ambulance took my E320 to hospital today & sure enough it was the HB and it'd been a bad HB as it damaged radiator and lots of othr organs in there. They're paying for it all except to drain all the fluids...I'm so glad I found this site last nite. Wonder if they'd have said anything if I hadn't come in armed with my printout of all the above posts. Going to cost MB $3500 to fix it all...my first service call out of warranty. Wouldn't that have been terrible if I'd had to pay...my first mercedes. Under waranty they replaced my back window motor, catalytic converters...anything else left that are known problems?
post #34 of 117 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 07:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 1999 C-280. & 2000 SL500
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Take a look at Back Roll 23 Avatar and tell me that this forum needs that. It is on page 1

jaybro
post #35 of 117 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 08:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Jaybro,
It's all good, there's another member with that same avatar,... I think it's TCP,... can't recall for sure though.
post #36 of 117 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 01:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Greg,

I have tried a dozen times to get my HB# to appear, but no luck. At first I thought it was because of all the belts covering it up, but I really don't think there is a # on the thing. I've seen photos of HBs and numbers on them on other forms, but mine IS different. It looks like a 5- or 10-pound free weight that lift, attached to the back of the large pully at the bottom center of the engine. Maybe MB had already fixed the problem when my car ('00/S500/W220) was made?

This has me really stumped...

Gene
post #37 of 117 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 02:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Greg,

Or maybe my engine isn't involved? Those engine #s you mentioned at the top of this thread didn't mean much to me. I just assumed mine was involved. Do you know what my engine # is?
post #38 of 117 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
jaybro - 10/14/2005 6:44 PM

Take a look at Back Roll 23 Avatar and tell me that this forum needs that. It is on page 1
Hi, Jaybro. If that were real, I'd agree with you. But it's not, it's just a clip from a movie (Office Space if memory serves) and as such is just goofiness and I'd guess the folks that use it simply want to give people who like that movie a quick memory of it.
post #39 of 117 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Hi, Gene.

You have the 113 engine in your car, so given the year it is *potentially* included in the campaign. When pic posting is fixed I'll post a couple of pics that might help you locate the number. The first one is a drawing that shows the location of the HB itself, it's #5 in the drawing and bolts to the crankshaft. The grooves in the drawing are where the belt runs, the P/N would be stamped into the top/outer perimeter of the arc of the steel behind the pulley.

The second pic is a true picture, not a drawing, of the number itself. I'm 95% sure the perspective is from under the car with the cladding removed, so the belt is in the front (covering the grooves) and then you can see the number stamped in just behind the belt (runs in the same plane as the belt). Even if yours had already been replaced (see below re: dealer) it would have the P/N in the casting.

If your car is running fine, you can relax a little. When these fail they're proceeded by really weird vibrations whenever the engine is running. If you call your dealer and give them your VIN, they can actually compare it to their list and confirm whether or not your car is affected (as well as advising whether it was already repaired), then you don't have to look for the number.

Lastly, it's important for us all to remember that not every HB with these part nos. is in fact defective. There were two suppliers that made batches for which the number of failures was statistically higher, which is why MBZ started the service campaign. Thus, it's entirely possible that even if you have one of the P/Ns in the affected campaign, it might still be a perfect HB that will live out a normal life.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg
post #40 of 117 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
HB location, P/N location pics are posted

The pics referenced in the previous post are uploaded to a gallery, here's the link:
http://forums.benzworld.org/gallery/showlink.asp?CatID=13380&parentID=50&subname=Harmo nic_Balancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in