post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: E500 Wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
GPS for Canada

We have a 2005 E class with the DVD supported GPS navigation. We have a trip to Canada planned and I was surprised to find that it did not have support for even the major Canadian Cities beyond some highways. Is there a specific Canadian DVD I can purchase before the trip?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 05:09 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: GPS for Canada

The map data that came with the 05 DVD systems is very out of date and lacking in detail. On trips through San Jose Ca in my 05 E320 with the current map update, it gets lost frequently. I entered the address of a new resturant in a major but older shopping center in San Jose and it has never guided me there. Every time I used that address it would find a different route to the wrong location. It once sent me to a nonexistant address on the same road but in a different city, and yes I did follow it to the end just to see what would happen. The end was a section of road about half a mile in length and it kept asking for U-Turns at each end of the half mile section of road. The weird thing is I used the POI look-up feature to find another resturant across the street from the new one I wanted to find and it does know how to get there as long as I ignore its attempts to route me off the freeway using the exits that are no longer there. Most of the major freeways in San Jose have crossover exits linking them together. The MB system doesn't know this and tries to take you down to the street level off the freeway to transition from one freeway to the next.

My 03 Honda van uses a dual layer DVD with more than two times the data the MB single sided disk has and it has never tried to have me exit non existant freeway exits like the one in the Benz and its database is over two years old.

The best cheap solution to Canada is buying a Magellan 700 Road Mate at Costco for around $834 because it has all of Canada installed on its internal 20 GB hard drive. Most updates are free downloads from their web site and a total map and database update for the older versions are around $100 by way of DVD's you purchase. Their current software is version 4.34 and most units at Costco have version 4.00. I use this in my SLK since it did not have an option for a GPS in 04 models.

http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/product.asp?PRODID=955

I just don't understand how there can be such a great difference in the coverage and features of all the different GPS systems out there since almost all of them contract out their database GIS data and updated data disk production to NAVTEQ.

http://www.navteq.com/

Potato Chip, custom canuter valve, low-friction muffler bearings, synthetic turn signal fluid, Hi-Definition Progressive Scan Wiper Blades.
Law-makers are supposed to regulate in the interest of the public as opposed to regulating in the interest of the regulated party.
If it says Pratt and Whitney on the outside it better say Martin Baker on the inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in