Mercedes lemon and horrible customer experience - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 01:38 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Mercedes lemon and horrible customer experience

I have to say something here. I have always heard that this car is better than that car, this brand is better than that brand, etc, etc. My personal opinion is that most major car makers make some good/reliable vehicles,...and some bad. I have a 1987 Ford E-150 van with 101,000 miles, and it does not leak oil from anywhere(302 V8 EFI), it has the original transmission(4AOD), and it has never failed to deliver me from point A to B in 5 years. She can sit for two-three weeks, and she will start right up, hot or cold, rain or shine. I replaced her alternator, exhaust manifolds, and U-joints(About $300(US)parts). In comparison, I have a 1994 E320(6 cyl/Auto), I have had it for 6 months, and it leaks a ridiulous amount of oil, has since 77,000 miles(has 89,000 miles now), the shop wants $1500(US)to fix it. The Benz dealer said it was fixed the last time they collected their $595 for it, it was not. I did not own the car at the time, it was my sister's, she bitched a little, they did nothing. Now..., knowing something about cars, I would have stormed in there, and they would have made it right, but I did not own the car at the time, and I was unavailable. Since I have had it, I have replaced the MAF, the plug wires($100 for 3 of them), A rear window motor assy(Van has power windows that still work) and it looks like soon, I may need a water pump. This car(E320s) is said to have a transmission problem, I can only hope that was already fixed. All I am saying..., from a relaibility and cost to operate stand point, it appears that my Ford, is a better vehicle than my Mercedes. My girlfriend has a 1988 Audi 90 Quattro(350,000+ miles, no major repairs, original clutch), it is one hell of a car. Her ex-husband said, "she should not let a regular mechanic work on it, because it was a special car". Though it is a special car, it is still only a car, it works in much the same way as any(ANY) other car. I have found nothing on it that this regular guy cannot diagnose/fix. Buying a Mercedes or any other "so-called" super brand, is no garranty of "long term" satisfaction. A "super brand", means as the car ages, it will cost more for parts/service when repaired, than a regular brand.
If there is any doubt that a Ford(others) can compete with/beat(value) a Mercedes, read the review on 200mph+ cars(Automobile mag)>>> http://automobilemag.com/reviews/coupes/0501_200mph_club/index.html >>> . Compare the GT40 to the pack...notice the price! Don't get me wrong, I like this Merdedes, and I may grow to love her yet, but I refuse to accept that they engineer an overall better car than many others. Yes, driving the E is more comfortable than my van, certainly more refined, 8-9 mpg better the the van(though the van has a GVW of 6600lbs), but I have no more confidence in her(89K) delivering me from point a to point b, than I do the van(101K), or for that matter, our 85 F150(130K), the Audi 90Q(350K+), or our Infinity G20(141K). And, in the case of the E & F series, certainly the cost to operate, is going to whip all the others silly. I don't want to make any enemies here, and I do appreciate the differences in engineering. I marvel at many of the techno improvements of the breed, I guess I am a little soured at this time. She does accelerate very well for a non-boosted six cylinder, and I am getting more "looks" from the hotties, than I do in the van,(though the van is handy, when they say yes). :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 02:45 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2005

PS... If you like purity of purpose....Drool... >>> http://media.ford.com/newsroom/images/fordcom/fordgt/gtad2.wmv <<<
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 06:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 2002 430clk;2005 Yamaha YZF R1;08 Range Rover Sport

I know what i would do......an you say "matches" or leave it running in a bad neighborhood...or if you gotta do it the honest way, trade it in

Mod list:Carlssons front bumper, custom angel eye fogs, headlight rings, #1 pads, Eibach springs, Inmotion ECU tuning, chrome wheels, Illuminated door sills, in dash DVD and backup camera, complete audio system, AMG pedals, LED lights, Blk maple and chrome shift knob, blk maple center cover and door pulls, Zaino, H&R 10mm spacers, K&N filters, Magnaflow exhaust
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 11:23 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 1983 300sd turbo/bio
Send a message via AIM to mbjasond

Please take your car to another dealer. I used to live in San Francisco and could not believe how many dealers there are! Me being a Mercedes dealer tech ,I do sympathize with your situation. At my dealership cars in for the 3rd time get sent to the shop foreman,car is kept 2 day after repair and Quality Checked by another guy and driven repeatedly.If problem still persists,special tech sent up to repair. Sounds to me like MB of Oakland has an incompetant Shop Forman,they are the heart of the Service Department and have immediate access to Mb techincal suppport.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 03:43 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 280 C '95

Couple of serious suggestions: don't get emotional. Remember what you want is a car that functions properly, not to "get even".

I have returned a sports coupe to Fiat (in Germany) after a two year court fight which made the legal journals. We, my lawyer and I, set some legal precedents but two years was a long time. Here in the States I returned an '81 Olds Diesel to GM after a self managed struggle guided by a format set up by the Center for Auto Safety in Washington, D.C. You can find them on the net, I'm sure. The Center has lots of information to help you. Most State Attorney General offices can also provide helpful info as well as the Better Business Bureau. I strongly believe the sooner you establish yourself with Mercedes Regional or main (US) headquarters the sooner they'll come up with a solution.....which is what you really want. Once you get a lawyer involved, unless he works on contingency, you are going to pay out lots of dollars and probably be no better off than if you'd managed the problem yourself.

Don't get emotional, just follow the primary objective. Lots of luck!

XCaper
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 2001 E320W(ELEGANCE) 2005 CLK500
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

I'm not sure about California, but in other states if you haven't altered the car in any way and it's still in warranty (2 years is a long time to do this) you can return the car to the dealer, take off the tags and tell the dealer verbally and by registered mail that you are refusing delivery and you have cancelled the insurance and will not be making any more payments on the car. That puts the ball in their court (especially effective if you financed through Mercedes-Benz Credit).

Good luck

2001 E320W (ELEGANCE)
2005 CLK500 Cabriolet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in