BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 2000 CLK55
Location: Newcastle Aus.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: MERCEDES BENZ QUALITY
Just thought IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢d share my experience so far with a 2000 CLK55 with just 43,000 km's on the clock when I purchased it in November 2004....with a "Starmarque Warranty".
Within 4 months the car has been returned something like 6 times, these are some of the problems IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ve had.
!. Exterior Trim needed refitting.
2. Inspection /access flap hanging down from front passenger side.
3. No tool kit...Was told by the dealership the car didn't come with one so I supplied the part number and it was ordered.
4. Hesitation at around 1,000 rpm on steady throttle causing the car "Kangaroo" between 1,000 rpm and 1,700 rpm first time misdiagnosed as a MAF sensor turns out it was something to do with the EGR valve, still not 100% but I can live with it.
5. Some of the pixels in the instrument display not working.
6. Noisey rear brakes.
7. Damaged (cracked) front spoiler.
A second 116 point check was then requested.
8. Wheel wobble at + 90 km's...dealership rebalanced the wheels, still had the wobble, dealership rebalanced again, still had the wobble dealership replaced the front tyres, still had the wobble....so I jacked the front of the car up myself and checked for excessive movement and found the steering linkage to be worn!!!! this was found after a second 116 point check mind you.
9. Car broke down at dealership.....turns out only 2 strands of wire were attached on the earth cable between the gear box and the chassis.
10. Broken Fog light bracket.
11. Air Conditioner Compressor leaking
Most of these things have been fixed, but now I have a rattle/knocking in the engine at around 1700 rpm, not diagnosed yet, oh boy!!! and this, with a car that was something like $200,000 new and has travelled less than 50,000 km's.
This is the second Benz I have owned the first a Ã¢â‚¬â„¢98 E320 was traded in on this car after about 8 months of ownership because of problems.
As they say .....Buyer Beware regardless of promises made and by whom.
Previous cars....930 Turbo bullet proof, WRX ok but no character, XYGT nice sound at 5500, Austin 1800 donÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t laugh they were great cars, the others not noteworthy enough to mention.