LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Which Benz would you suggest?

I am looking for a second car to use for my daily drive to work, 20 miles each way - 80% (congested) interstate.

What do you all suggest would be the best early 90's 124 Benz for me? Or, should I just get another honda?

Over the past weeks and i have looked at a dozen + Mercedes 300's. Some diesels and some gas. I have it narrowed down to four cars:

1990 300D - Exterior=4, Interior=6, Engine=8, Trans=7, A/C=5, Asking Price=$5,950 (will take lower), Mileage=192K.. Champaign paint faded, rim paint faded, nice leather, dirty rugs, console wood is cracked, rear window will not go down, drivers seat adj. motor does not work well, valve gasket leak, differential mounts bad, 1 engine mount bad, 1 tie rod bad, transmission modulator? bad (hard 1st-2nd shift & slow acceleration, newly rebuilt transmittion, A/C is cold but smells a bit musty - not converted to new freon, good brakes, all records, good car beside the above, really honest owner.

1990 300E - Exterior=9, Interior=7, Engine=9, Trans=9, A/C=9, Asking Price=$6,800, Mileage=117K.. paint nice, rims nice, engine super clean, it's a BMW mechanic's wife's car..seriously! , leather is worn, carpet ok, console wood is cracked, rebuilt rear suspension system and bushings, drives tight, rides smooth, new water pump and radiator, new tires, so-so brakes.

1992 300D - Exterior=6, Interior=9, Engine=8, Trans=8, A/C=8, Asking Price=$5,995, Mileage=202K...just repainted - ok job, side view mirror plastic is cracked badly, rims good, rear tire bad, good brakes (+-13k miles on pads & rotors), drives smooth, pretty tight, engine strong, can hear a small knocking sound - like metal vibrating under the car, does not appear to be engine knocking, little oil spotted on trans. at rear of car (see picture - looking under car from rear to front), all records, dealer serviced, in 03': cylinder head gasket replaced, rotors replaced, blower motor replaced, in 02' : trans. serviced, in 01': timing chain tensioner replaced, rear shocks replaced, injector pump replaced, abs sensor replaced, used car dealer is selling.

1992 300E - Exterior=10, Interior=9, Engine=8, Trans=8, A/C=0, Asking Price=$5,900, Mileage=133K.. Looks real clean, good records, (a local banker VP's car), drives smooth, shift between 1st & 2nd is just a bit jerky, A/C evap. has known leak and will req. replacement (said he can work on the price, A/C conversion done, head gasket just replaced, engine clean and strong, new tires, good brakes.

I really liked the idea of the diesel but all the 300D's seem a bit more "used" then the 300E's. Any suggestions? Go for the mechanic's wife's car, the 92' 300D w/ records, the 90' 300D and talk them down, or the bankers 300E talk down he price and fix the A/C. An ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

David-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 08:53 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Which Benz would you suggest?

I would go for the 300E with 117,000 miles on it that was the mechanic's wife's car. It seems taken care of and the AC works. Fixing the AC on these cars can be worse than engine work. I would avoid the bad motor mount etc. junker which sounds neglected. Just my .02 hope it helps.

2005 E320 CDI
1999 ML320
Previous: 1993 190E 2.3, 1992 320SE, 1987 260E, 1984 190E 2.3
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 07:06 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2000 E430 1990 300CE
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
RE: Which Benz would you suggest?

I would say take the mechanics car, or the bankers car. Probably lean to the mechanics car, knowing he took good care of it. Having new radiator and water prmp is a big plus. Brakes are easy and cheap to do yourself. Leather can prbably be refurbished.

Bankers car is also great, plus its 2 years newer, A/C could be a problem.
I have 3 Benzes, 87 300E, 88 300E with 202,000 and 180,000 miles. These engines will go forever if taken care of.

Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in