post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 240d 300d 280ce
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
best wagon

I'm wanting to buy an older wagon and wondered if anyone can help me pick the best model for me. I am looking to spend around $5,000 - $8,000 US.
I'm sure I'll end up wit a vehicle with 100,000 + miles no matter the year. I will use it for an every day driver and also for long road trips. I like to camp and would like to have as much room as possible for sleeping in the back from time to time. Fuel costs are also of some concern so diesel might be attractive.
Are the newer models as reliable as say like the old 300tds? I like the appearance of the newer 300td and 320e. But will service and repairs end up costing more because of the more complicated systems? Which has more room?
Regardless of model I plan on finding a car with good service records so hopefully it will at least be in good condition when I purchase it.

Thanks for any of your replies in advance.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 05:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE
RE: best wagon

For that money you’ll have no problem finding a great condition w124 300 TE. The w124s are the last of the best – everything after that is crap.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 08:56 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1989 300 TE
RE: best wagon

I just purchased the 89 below. I am very happy with it. The engine was replaced with an engine with 75,000 miles. The body has 164,000 miles but very well taken care of and no rust. The car also has new front suspension, motor mounts, a/c system, brake master cylidner and exhaust manifold. It took a lot of searching to find one for the right price. One that I felt was not looking to shop bills in my face. No matter what you buy, I would take the time to check it out. Have lots of questions written down. It is always good to have a compression test as head gaskets may or may not go around 120,000 miles. Lift the oil fill cap and smell the engine. Look for burning smell, which would not be good. Worth the money to have the car inspected. I am very happy with mine. Also, 4 matic is nice but expensive to repair. If you don't need four wheel drive, look for one without it. Also, plan to do the Euro headlight modification which will bring the outside up to the same as 94. Also, I paid the bottom of your spend bracket.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: