LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 04:03 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 1986 Mercedes 560SEC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Mercedes versus BMW

I know I am going to be slaughtered for this, but yes I do love my baby, which I have affectionately named Madrigal, but in my opinion BMW's are a little overrated. Does anyone remember their Simi trucks with the HUGE slogan splashed on the side, "The Ulitmate Driving Machine" Umm Who gave them that title? I previously owned a 1993 Infiniti Q45 which I loved, and I can tell you (speeding tickets to prove it) that I have had many a 3 series and 5 series for lunch...and then some. Great automobile, but I'd take my Mercedes any day!

Dance and Drive Fast, because they may be coming for you in the morning!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 06:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2004
Vehicle: 1994 E320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Six_wheeler

Quote:
in the 90's... mercedes kicked bmw's booty. but in this decade... i think i might choose a bmw over a mercedes even though i am a mercedes fan...
Not even that. BMW have their own set of problems as well. Personally, I'm on the look for a brand new small-ish rear-drive sedan, and I really don't want a new Mercedes C-class, much less a BMW 3-series, which really leaves me with one option: Lexus IS300. From what I've gathered, they seem as reliable now as Mercedes used to be a long, long time ago, and they're not nearly as flashy as BMWs.
But even if I do manage to get an IS300 (which is not even available in Saudi Arabia except through the gray market,) my good old faithful 124 is staying at my front door [:)]
Mind you, quality is not only about how well the car is put together. It extends to how well a dealer is willing to cater for your needs.
While I was researching the IS300, I took a look at Abdul-Latif Jamil, the Lexus (and Toyota) dealer in Saudi Arabia, www.lexus.com.sa, then picked up the phone and called the service manager to ask whether they would be capable of fixing a gray-market IS300. "Absolutely," he said. "We'll take car of the car even if you hadn't bought it from us. I have to warn you, though, that it might take a long time for parts specific to the IS300 to arrive upon order, but we may be able to source them out locally."
And then he further said: "Even if you don't end up dealing with us, pay us a visit for a cup of coffee, we'll be glad to get to know you."
Now that's quality service!
That strikes me as very different from my experience with Juffali, the Mercedes dealer.
Before you're even allowed to drive in, your car gets searched! You just might happen to be a terrorist who whimsically decided to blow up their shop instead of a residential compound for a change! You get ignored the moment you walk into the reception area, and the receptionist is not really interested in hearing about your automotive problems. You need to get permission to talk to the service manager (who turned out to be a swell guy, after all,) and your car could stay in the shop for days to get a seemingly straightforward repair, and all the while, the service officer gives you BS reasons as to why your car isn't ready. Only when I flaunted my press card as the automotive editor of my newspaper did I get a loaner car!
And it gets worse when you walk into the showroom to look at new cars. The receptionist doesn't even bother to look up from his desk at you, and the salesman is downright rude. "Look," he said when I asked about installment options for a new C320, "we only take cash. If you don't want to pay cash, talk your bank into paying us cash, and then figure out the installments with them." He then turned his face into his computer screen.
I did get the brief opportunity to drive a C-class around a racing circuit, and decided I should really count my blessings in the 18-year-old 124.
Who ever said quality is all about building a good car?

Shady
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 07:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2004
Vehicle: 1994 E320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Six_wheeler

Quote:
AMSOIL300CDT - 4/28/2005 8:14 AM

oh yeah, and i love that pic up there........my dreams cars. cars of the 80's are the BEST, especially when set up as racing machines!!
You seem to have read my mind. Actually, the other day I was telling a friend of mine that I think the best cars ever were built during the late 80s-early 90s period.
Things seem to have gotten only worse from there.

Shady
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 12:47 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2000 S500 Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to TheGame

Quote:
I have had many a 3 series and 5 series for lunch...and then some. Great automobile, but I'd take my Mercedes any day!
Ahh but only I know REAL fun ... I had a 1996 Lincoln Town Car with the so-called "performance package" - it put the 0-60 time at 8.2 - and had many a 528i and A6 for lunch ... now THAT is what one may call humiliation! Being beaten by an old-man car!
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 05:22 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2004

I own a 2002 C230K coupe, a 2001 IS300, and
just got rid of a 1993 BMW 325is. All are similar,
and very different too.

While the IS300 is the fastest, the 325is is clearly
the best handling and the easiest car to drive in
a socially irresponsible fashion. The C230K is the
best for commuting and socially responsible driving.
The IS300 is far and above the others the best
constructed and reliable vehicle, with just an
outstanding dealer and service experience. MBZ is
the opposite end of the scale, with an abysmal
service experience compounded by the fact that it
has to go in so frequently for factory work. BMW is
between the two extremes. Yes, the C230K is the
runt of the Mercedes litter, but it should not
pale in reliability against it's competitors. The
IS300 and 3 series are also the "bargains" of their
lines.

The IS300 has the best audio system, and the BMW
has the best exhaust sound. The MBZ is still
not even close to the IS300 audio, and I have
an Audio 10 installed.

So, iron vs. iron, they each have their strenghts
and weaknesses. If I were to have only one, it would
be a BMW series, after having lived with them all.
The IS300 doesn't offer the driving experience or
the handling. The MBZ doesn't offer either more luxury or handling and has a big downside on having problem prone electronics. The Mercedes bodywork is a
notch above in asthetics and finish quality.

It's not about brand M vs. brand B, as much as it
is about people needing different types of satisfaction from their cars:

For the best socially irresponsible driving experience, choose a BMW.
For the best buying, owning, and service experience,
choose a Lexus.
For the best looking and social statement experience, choose a Mercedes.

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 10:07 PM
AMSOIL300CDT

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Quote:
Six_wheeler - 5/6/2005 8:00 PM

Quote:
AMSOIL300CDT - 4/28/2005 8:14 AM

oh yeah, and i love that pic up there........my dreams cars. cars of the 80's are the BEST, especially when set up as racing machines!!
You seem to have read my mind. Actually, the other day I was telling a friend of mine that I think the best cars ever were built during the late 80s-early 90s period.
Things seem to have gotten only worse from there.

Shady
yeah, you could basicly until about 1993, go to a dealer, buy a new fast car, that could be completely self worked on, simply a moderner classic design, do heavy duty tuning to it yourself, and never once require 100,000 dollar gadgets to make them go FASTer, just simple, non computer related, mechanical things.....
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 10:27 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2002

this is a rather touchy topic...so one must tread carefully.

i've got a BMW 740i in addition the 300SE. i think it would be unfair to say that either rides better than the other....if u r comparing apples to apples that is (meaning comparing the S-class to the 7 series, and not the 3 series).

the ride is as good, except bmw adds the 'sport' aspect to the car...meaning engines tuned to respond quicker to ur right foot...and suspensions that can handle more extreme movements (in stock condition).

even though my bmw is old...its a 93/94, i've taken on the s500 w220 many times on country roads, and given them something to sweat over. you simply cannot drive in a spirited manner in an s-class, like u can in a 7 series.

i've recently bought a 2000 e200 w210, and the quality is nothing like my w126. i have to keep looking at the hood star to remind myself i'm in a benz.

i'm very much in the market for a new car...i'm replacing my bmw. and unfortunately, mercedes is not in the running.

i'm aiming to go for a 2000/2001 7-series.

i love mercedes...but i'm also just facing reality. mercedes needs to get its act together..and quickly.

Current:
1965 Mercedes Benz 220SEb (USA)
1971 Mercedes Benz 300SEL 6.3 (United Kingdom)
1989 Mercedes Benz 300SE (Pakistan)
2000 Mercedes Benz S430V (United Kingdom)
2000 Mercedes Benz E200 (Pakistan)
2009 Mercedes Benz CL550 (United Kingdom)

Previous:
2006/7 Mercedes Benz S350V (Pakistan)
1995 Mercedes Benz S600V (United Kingdom)
1993 BMW 740i (United Kingdom)
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 06:49 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2005 S55; 2003 ML350; 2002 C240; 1997 C280 Sport; 1991 300SL; 1986 190e 2.3 16V (2); 1968 W30 442
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I guess I am partial to Benzes; see below.
All that's really missing for me now is a 94 500E. Then I'll be done "collecting". That's what I tell my wife, anyway!

Thanks!
Fred
2005 S55
2003 ML350
2002 C240
1997 C280 Sport
1991 300SL
1986 190e 2.3 16V (2)
1968 W30 442
1988 46' Cougar US1 with Triple blown 572s
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/waybomb/
Warming the Globe, 24 Cylinders at a Time
Point me to a 126 wagon in the States PLEASE!
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 07:51 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 1996 C36 AMG

I have a 1996 C36 now. I love it. I used to drive a 1990 BMW 535I It always had problems. but I really can't compare them because of the years. But I would never consider to buy another BMW again, I'll stick with the MB.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 07:51 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 1996 C36 AMG

I have a 1996 C36 now. I love it. I used to drive a 1990 BMW 535I It always had problems. but I really can't compare them because of the years. But I would never consider to buy another BMW again, I'll stick with the MB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in