LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: MB C180 new(W203)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Comand in C-class: always radio while using navi?

Hello everybody!!.

I have just bought my second MB C-class, this time with
the excellent "Comand" system with navigation.
After searching this and other forums for any possible answers to my two questions, I try my luck and post my first message.

Picture of my Comand-system:

http://djay.myftp.org/div/flightsim/...lars\navi2.jpg

1) When using the navigation, the radio is always on
(by default). The only way of not hearing the radio, while using the navigation unit on the comand-system -
is to mute the radio-volume?. This is the only solution I have managed to solve this problem. Is there any other way to manage this?.

2) Is there any way to "save" specific points while en-route, my project is to check if there any way to
save the different locations in nearby regions, where
speed-cameras are located. So that everytime I get near one of time, some sort of a warning or message can be displayed. I've read the Comand-manual several times, and have come to the conclusion that this is
impossible?. (if impossible, is it the same with the
new Comand-system?).

Happy regards for MB-lover from Norway!!.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 01:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: W203 modified
Send a message via MSN to miroj Send a message via Skype™ to miroj
RE: Comand in C-class: always radio while using navi?

Quote:
lbfrostad - 4/21/2005 3:32 AM

Hello everybody!!.

I have just bought my second MB C-class, this time with
the excellent "Comand" system with navigation.
After searching this and other forums for any possible answers to my two questions, I try my luck and post my first message.

Picture of my Comand-system:

http://djay.myftp.org/div/flightsim/...lars\navi2.jpg

(by default). The only way of not hearing the radio, while using the navigation unit on the comand-system -
is to mute the radio-volume?. This is the only solution I have managed to solve this problem. Is there any other way to manage this?.

2) Is there any way to "save" specific points while en-route, my project is to check if there any way to
save the different locations in nearby regions, where
speed-cameras are located. So that everytime I get near one of time, some sort of a warning or message can be displayed. I've read the Comand-manual several times, and have come to the conclusion that this is
impossible?. (if impossible, is it the same with the
new Comand-system?).

Happy regards for MB-lover from Norway!!.
If you have TV or CD changer it will stay on that setting when you get in the car again. If you want silence and dont have TV tuner then press TV button and the radio will vanish.

There is not enough memory functions to save camera locations. Certainly this idea is not new and very common in portable car systems made from Palm Pilot - gives speed and camera warning. To me it would suit the village moron (not to say I feel that you are such) who whilst driving finds it so hard that road laws become inconvenient.

Modz ... enjoy the difference. www.benzmodz.com
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Thanks a lot Miroj, I have now tried different ways to use the navigation without having to hear the radio. After reading your reply, I found the best way was actually to press the "CD" button, then the two lines of cd-info comes up - and then I press the "NAV" button. Perfect, but very strange that this is not mentioned in the Navi-manual.

About saving camera-locations, your answer was the one I expected. Although I certainly would have preferred that the Command system would have enough memory to do such tasks, it looks so easy and cool in cars that have portable GPS systems. But I anyway prefer to have navigation that is factory installed/original and "built into" the car, rather than having "loose" LCD-screens/wires/etc. but thats my opinion. I can assure you that I'm not any kind of "village moron" (hehe), but the speed-limits here
in Norway is just ridiculously low. Similar roads in Sweden the speed-limit would be between 100-120, but in Norway the limit is about 80-90. And the speed-fines are now among the highest world-wide!. [V]

Thanks for your help!!..
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 05:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: W203 modified
Send a message via MSN to miroj Send a message via Skype™ to miroj

Quote:
lbfrostad - 4/23/2005 4:51 AM

Thanks a lot Miroj, I have now tried different ways to use the navigation without having to hear the radio. After reading your reply, I found the best way was actually to press the "CD" button, then the two lines of cd-info comes up - and then I press the "NAV" button. Perfect, but very strange that this is not mentioned in the Navi-manual.

About saving camera-locations, your answer was the one I expected. Although I certainly would have preferred that the Command system would have enough memory to do such tasks, it looks so easy and cool in cars that have portable GPS systems. But I anyway prefer to have navigation that is factory installed/original and "built into" the car, rather than having "loose" LCD-screens/wires/etc. but thats my opinion. I can assure you that I'm not any kind of "village moron" (hehe), but the speed-limits here
in Norway is just ridiculously low. Similar roads in Sweden the speed-limit would be between 100-120, but in Norway the limit is about 80-90. And the speed-fines are now among the highest world-wide!. [V]

Thanks for your help!!..
Dont forget that we are limited by the greed of map makers who think that if they charge every year a small fee they will never be able to make enough money. As a result expensive maps and expensive COMAND makes navigation unpopular and expensive.

The latest DVD navigation for all of Australia is only 140MB. This means it can fit on memory card like SD flash (1GB). There is no reason to use moving parts and laser at all.

If you go to the memory stick technology then the location of cameras and speed zones becomes very simple. It can be updated very easily by internet - and if your 2010 Mercedes has GPRS then I am sure it will download maps as they are needed into the head unit as you pass from one country to another.

Mercedes can warranty a DVD map but they cant warranty a camera warning system becuase of the lawyers. As always greed and stupidity gives society a bad name and ruins the fun for the rest of us.

Modz ... enjoy the difference. www.benzmodz.com
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 11:48 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: '03 C240 4Matic (M112)

Quote:
lbfrostad - 4/20/2005 12:32 PM
I don't know if you have an Aux. jack or not, but when I want total silence while using NAV I hit the Aux. under the SYS menu.

BTW, I love the color of your wood trim, that is what I would like to have. I have the aluminum now, but have always wondered how the wood would look.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for your feedback "johncl", I have now suddenly several different solutions to my previous problem - thanks for another alternative.

Regarding wood trim in the car, I agree that this certainly looks very nice. To me; Mercedes IS the same as having wood in the car - although (it seems) increasingly that most people don't like this, and prefer carbon/aluminum or similar. I have several friends that says "wood in a car?, that belongs in a boat.." (I just shake mye head, and think they are crazy..).

Anyway, the C-klass (W203) had two different choices
regarding the wood trim inside. My wood trim (the picture in the first post) displays the wood you get when choosing the "Classic" line. This wood is named:
"Calyptus Linea", wood from the calyptus-tree.
People choosing the "Elegance" line, got a bit darker
wood, named: "Laurel".

After the face-lift on the C-class, the wood-trim
is now named "Olive-ash" (translated from Norwegian),
this variation (I think) is not as nice as the Calyptus-wood, it looks very different -
and the darker variant: "Laurel".

My next car will probably be the current CLK-class,
the options regarding wood-trim will be: "Brown ash" og "Brown burr walnut", the walnut will be my choice - that one is a bit darker than the first, but
very classy and nice. The brown ash are included as default on the Elegance-line, but I have to pay extra to get the walnut (of course..).

Anyway, if a MB have wood trim or not - makes it a totally different car. Quite strange that this makes up so much difference, but I certainly love wood trim. Hope your next car will have this too!..

Regards from Norway..

Lars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in