LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 1988 300 SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to LordNikonXTC Send a message via MSN to LordNikonXTC Send a message via Yahoo to LordNikonXTC
(Thread Starter)
Heater vents inop

[:I]Hello All… got another question for you Mercedes thinkers……. I have a 1988 300 SE (W126). My heater and air conditioner works great except ….. I can’t get or I don’t get any heat directed to my feet (Drivers side) and the vent that goes to the back from the center console only blows cold air. Everything else seems to be working as is should with exception of that…. Any ideas?

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 11:45 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1987 560SEC Now 145K mi. (Summer 2016)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
RE: Heater vents inop

Hi LordNikonXTC,

The rear vent at the console is acting normally.
I'll bet there is a vacuum problem with one of the actuators on the floor vent issue. Does your Economy gauge change if the heater control is shut off, then turned on? It is a hunch, but I've seen a lot of posts regarding vacuum actators & W126. You might do a search in the W126 forum?

Good Luck, MBL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 44_1464842_421200520333PM.jpg (18.7 KB, 37 views)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to LordNikonXTC Send a message via MSN to LordNikonXTC Send a message via Yahoo to LordNikonXTC
(Thread Starter)

[:o)]Thanks for the information. It was very helpful...
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 05:25 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2005

OOohhh... nice car. That is a 1988 model? Bought my daughter her first car, a 1986 190e and I'm starting to catch the MB bug and was thinking a good used 300E would be a good car.

Thinking late 80's to early 90's, would this be a good choice and what would be a fair price for a 300E with decent body/paint and interior and in good or great running condition?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Premium Member
(Thread Starter)

[:D]Thanks for the complement. And advice.. I also looked in my manuel and could have swarn that I saw that heat came out of that vent but I guess not. But here we have a bunch of great guys and women who will jog our memories for us. And give us good information.

As for getting your daughter a car. As you can see I love my 300. I purchased it with 200k+ miles on it already and it contiues to handle like a dream. The key to getting the car is to know someone I think. You can go to a dealer but you don't know who had the auto befor them and you are taking a chance with the mystery and the higher prices. Most of the Mercedes owners love their cars and will keep their cars well maintained. Those who do rarely give up their autos unless their wifes or husbands get them a new one. That is how I came across my auto. They just wanted another car and had to many as it is. They purchsed ....... Another Mercedes. For me a good price for a late '80 to early '90 model is from $3500 to $8000. Of course the better maintained it is, it will drive the cost factor. But I think true mercedes owners will sale their autos at a fair market value when letting it go to a friend who truly wants Benz and they know that it will be well taken care of. That is what happen to me. Anyway if she gets a 300 SE (six cylinder) Vs the 400series (V-8) Also the SE is shorter then the SEL by 6-7 inches. It is solid, heavy doors, simple layout, and confortable. She will love it. And you will like it knowing that she is in a safe auto. I could ramble on and on about this auto but the bottom line is if you fine a nice one with one or two owners.... buy it....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 02:49 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2005

I have already bought a 1986 190e for my daughter and was surprised at the price I got it at, but like you said, this was a 2nd owner and she had it for 2 years, so that means the previous owner had it for 16 years and some change.

This 2nd owner was turned on to MB's by her new husband and the 190e was her first benz and just a couple of months ago she bought a new 2005 MB convertible, and so I think this is partly why I got it for $1700. It has 157,000 miles but if well taken care of it should still have another 50-75,000 miles left, which should be long enough for my daughter until she is out of H.S. and ready to buy her own first car.

Driving the 190e is what got me falling into love with MB's and after doing a little searching around I realized that even I could afford to get a good used MB. I really like the styling and shape of the 190e and the 300e seems to look the same except a little bigger - so this is why I was thinking of getting a 300e for myself.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 10:17 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 300SD, 300E, SLK230

My '84 300SD has the same no-heat problem on the driver's side. I removed the panel below the steering wheel to look for an electrical problem I was having and looked into the center console at the heater doors. the heater door on the driver's side pushed open easily. It appears to have no linkage to the vacuum-operated control. I know that it did work at one time, and it's hard to see inside even with my mirror-on-a-stick (too dark). I've also looked at my service manual and the photos don't really show how the linkage connects to the vacuum control element. For now I have a piece of plastic corner bead clamped in there to keep the door open. I'll look at it more when it gets warmer (7 F at my house this morning in MD).
Barry

1998 SLK230
1993 300E 3.2 (totaled in 2008, collision with deer)
1984 300SD (donated to technical school in 2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in