LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Apr 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Overheating, cold start, rear suspension

I have several questions. Hopefully, someone can help me with each of the questions. 1. Auxilary fan - auto boil over, 2. Hard starting, 3. Rear suspension.

1. Auxilary Fan: I have 1986 190e 2.3 16valve benz. At what temperature does the auxiliary fan engage? While driving around the city, temperature is just above the 80 degree mark. When I come to a stop sign, the temp gauge starts edging towards the red line. When I start driving again temperature starts going down again very slowly. While driving on the freeway going between 55 & 60 mph, temp is just above the 80 degree mark. When traffic slows to a stop and go situation, temperature starts edging toward the red line. While temperature was edging toward the red line, the auxilary fan never engaged to cool the engine down. Is the purpose of the auxiliary fan to cool the engine at high temperatures? After coming to a complete stop and parking the car, I've noticed the overflow tank was spuing out antifreeze (boil over). I had to add additional antifreeze/water mixture to the overflow tank so that I could go home.
Help in this area would be appreciated. Note in Nov of 2004, I replaced the radiator with a new one. On Apr 8, 2005, I replaced the thermostat with a new one rated at 87 degrees celcius.
HOW do I test out the Auxilary fan to ensure it is working?

2. Hard Starting: In may of 2004, the voltage regulator and ignition switch was replaced on my benz by German Motors. Ever since then I have had difficutly starting the benz. It takes between 5 and 7 ignition swithch engagements to start the the engine. During each switch engagment, the engine cranks over about four times trying to start. It seems that after the 5th switch engagement the engine will turn over and start. In January of 2004, I was experiencing the same thing.
I took the benz to German Motors and the mechanic said he soldered something (do not remember what) to allow enough electricity to flow so that the engine would start.
I've looked for the repair order and can not find it. I've called German Motors and the garage has changed ownership. Mechanic who worked on my auto is no longer employed there.
Last week I put in new copper plugs, new spark plug wires, new rotor, and new distributor cap. I'm still having cold start problems. I read an article on the Mercedes 300e and the OVP RELAY. Could my problem be the same? Need help. tired of the approx 7 switch engagements to start car.

3. Rear Suspension: One of the rear hydrolic shocks was leaking so I replaced both with new hydrolic shocks. I also replaced the hydrolic pump. I was told by xxxxxx Motors (new owners) it was bad and needed to be replaced. I do not want to take my car back to xxxxxx Motors because of new owners, and I feel I got screwed replacing a part that did not need to be replaced.
Anyway, I do not know why the rear end keeps bottoming out everytime I go over a small bump. Ride is terrible. Feels like I never installed new hydrolic shocks or replaced the hydrolic pump.
Recently, I purchased two accumulators . I have not installed them yet. Before I replace the accumulators, how do I know the old ones are bad?
A friend at work told me I should bleed the rear hydrolic shocks. Is this necessary? If it is necesary, how does a person bleed the rear hydrolic shocks? Or does a person bleed the accumulators? How is this done.
Terrible bumpy ride. Sometime I feel like taking the 190e 16v to the junk yard. Love the car so I keep pumping money into it. Wife wants me to junk the car.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 08:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: Bandwidth
RE: Overheating, cold start, rear suspension

1. Head gasket gone or on the way out! Coolant should not bubble in expansion tank! To test fan, connect the 2 terminals on the radiator switch and it should turn on, otherwise, rad switch faulty.
2. Maybe dodgy work by the German Garage, especially in view that new owners not accepting responsibility and original mechanic not around any more(!).
3. No comment.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Apr 2005
(Thread Starter)
RE: Overheating, cold start, rear suspension

Overheating, Problem solved. Seems like when the water pump was replaced, mechanic forgot to hook up the terminals for the electro magnetic cluch. I did my own troubleshooting and fixed problem myself.

Still need info on rough starting and rear end suspension.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: