BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Benz Low Profile Rims

Hi guys,

Well....I'm living and learning. [:D]

Call me dumb, but I never knew that low profile tires only last to around 25,000 miles, and are so expensive. No one bothered to tell us at our time of purchase.

We have a 2005 C-Class 230 Sedan Kompressor Sport.

Now don't get me wrong...we love this car, and these wheels and tires really make for a great ride!

But my wife just had to have her first tire change, and $650.00 was the cheapest we could find those tires that were still of any quality.

We had Mercedes do the tire change and they called back and said....2 of your rims are bent...but we can fix them, but it will cost you another $100.00.
So what do you do....you're stuck. I feel like we got taken for a ride.

My wife and I have never bent a rim in both of our lives. Now, all of a sudden...2 of them are bent? WTF? [:D]

They told us that low profile rims are bent more easily due to the lower tire wall not being able to cushion the bumps as good as a regular tire would.

QUESTION: Would some of you out there be so kind as to share your experiences with Benz Low Profile tires and rims?

ALSO: Where do you go to get the best deals on tires?

1-MORE: Would you guys suggest putting regular Benz rims on this car? If so...which 2 sizes? The front and back are different.

Thanks.....Black Cat..... [:D]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 07:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 1987 420 SEL
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
RE: Benz Low Profile Rims

Hey Black Cat. It is true that the shorter sidewall can damage your rims. I live in Philadelphia and i've seen people who put these extremely large rims on their cars and suv's. Now, as they are slowing down to a stop or just accelerating you can see their rims wobble due to some sort of bend or warpage. Most times when you're operating your car, you cannot feel the bend due to road vibrations or imperfections. But when you take the rim of and put it on a wheel balancing machine used at tire shops then you can clearly see where the bend is. I would maybe check with Tire Rack for tires. Also, you'll probably want to decrease your rim size and allow for more tire to hit the road and absorb more of the impact from potholes, bumps, etc. I own a 1987 420 SEL and I still have the original 15" rims on my car. I'm planning to plus size up to a 16" hopefully before the summer. Hopefully, this helps!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Thanks ProChambers! [:)]

Would anyone suggest putting regular side wall rims on this car?

Can this car be changed over to a proper, regular sidewall Benz rim...or would you even consider it?

I guess what I'm saying is: Is this possible on this car with the suspension, fender well size, and the electronics and speedometer questions that may come into play?

Thanks,

BlackCat.... [:D]
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 09:17 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 1987 420 SEL
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Check out this feature at:

http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_garage/WheelSearch.jsp?&autoMake=Mercedes-Benz&autoModel=C230+Sport+Sedan&autoYear=2005&auto ModClar=

It looks as though your smallest size is 17". Is that what you have on there now?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 09:38 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: 01 SLK 320 MT6

Also some low quality aftermarket rims are prone to bending.

Kirill
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 11:28 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: E320

Quote:
Black Cat - 3/23/2005 11:11 AM

Thanks ProChambers! [:)]

Would anyone suggest putting regular side wall rims on this car?

Can this car be changed over to a proper, regular sidewall Benz rim...or would you even consider it?

I guess what I'm saying is: Is this possible on this car with the suspension, fender well size, and the electronics and speedometer questions that may come into play?

Thanks,

BlackCat.... [:D]
Very thoughtful of Prochamber to hook you up with the Tire Rack info. I have bought from them many times and they IMO are the best source. You can buy a tire and wheel set and they arrive mounted and balanced, ready for installation. Tire Rack has arrangements with hundreds of shops where they will ship your tires for installation on the spot.

BUT you say "low profile rims" - your rims are not "low profile" - it's tires that come in various "profiles" as specified by part of the size info. For example, a tire that is 215-45-17 has a lower profile than a 215-50-17. It's that middle two-number combination that defines the profile or height of the tire. A lower profile provides better handling, usually, than the same tire with a higher profile because its sidewall resists flexing better(bending away from the rim) when cornering. The trade-off for better handling is less resistance to bending rims (as you found) because the shorter sidewall has less springiness - I'll call it that - to absorb road shocks.

On Tire Rack you also can see how each tire compares with others for performance, durability, etc. All tires have a Wear Factor on their sidewall. A tire with a 400 factor can be expected to last twice as much as a 200 (to make up one example). High performance tires almost always are much softer than regular tires, so they will have a lower wear factor, obviously. Your 25,000 miles might be normal BECAUSE it depends a whole lot on how you drive and on what kind of tire.
Do you have factory rims on now and what size tires do you have (the size is on the side of the tire and has a number similar to my examples)?
On the questions of wheel well size, suspension, electronics and speedometer (all good questions btw), a search on MBNZ should answer some of that, but I will say that unless you go to a much larger size tire and by that I mean wider(doesn't sound like you want to do that) you should have no problems with clearances or suspension. The speedo readout can be affected but only if you mount tires not sized OEM (Original Equipment by the Manufacturer). Talk to the guys at Tire Rack about all of that.
Also, you'll see on the Tire Rack link Prochamber provided that they offer 45 different rims for your model. The AMG and BBS are top quality and their prices sure do reflect that. There are cheaper rims shown but buy the best you can afford. Bargain rims are no bargain when all is said and done.
Good luck.

'99 E320 (bought 2/05 w/27K certified miles)
'04 V70R 300hp stock before chip, downpipe, etc
'00 Taurus
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Much thanks to all!!

Very good info that you have supplied me with.

I will check out those avenues and I'm sure I can find a solution.

Thanks again!!

BlackCat....[:)]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in