post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: working on it
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1996 C36 AMG vs. 2004 Altima SE-R

OK, I said before that I was planning on buying a 1995 C36, but that one sold before I could even look at it. I have since changed to a 1996 C36 as tha is my next best option in my area.

Although I know that the interior and ride quality in the Altima will not even touch that of the benz, which is faster?? That is to say, which would win in a race with a rolling start, and would it even be close??

I ask this because my friend who has an Altima SE-R claims that i is far faster than the benz, and would win with ease.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 02:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Lifetime Premium Member
RE: 1996 C36 AMG vs. 2004 Altima SE-R

I have no question that Nissan offers great vehicles to consumers especially since they turned around from almost bankruptcy in late 1990s. I would say that cars from Nissan are equipped better compared to its main competitors, such as Honda and Toyota. Not only Maximas, but also some of Altimas come with 3.5 V6, dual exhaust, leather & heated seat, and BOSE sound system.
(personally, I like new Maxima).

Anyhow, I have no expertise in mechanic wise, but one thing for sure Altima is front-wheel drive vehicle, while as most Mercedes-Benzes are rear-wheel drive vehicles. You may already knew this.

Your friend may be right about that Altima SE-R is far faster than the benz, and would win with ease. But how the way it feels would be totally different.

So, follow your heart!

I hope it helps.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 04:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004

hmmm, let's see,... Nissan or Merc?

What are you thinking about???? I'd rather have a 280CE 123 over an R34 skyline! It's not about how fast you get there, it's about HOW you get there.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 06:41 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 02 C230 Kompressor
Send a message via MSN to shinsain

See, again, the old addage comes in: you're comparing apples to oranges.

Now that you're talking about the new (read: ***2005***) Altima SE-R a whole host of other issues come into play such as price, low miles, etc.

As to your question of who would win in a "race" or whatever you want to call it, here are some numbers to chew on:

___________ 1996 M/B C36 AMG _____________

Price: $51,925 (roughly)
Miles Per Gallon: --/-- mpg
Curb Weight: 3550 lbs
Layout: Front-Engine/RWD
Transmission: 5-Speed Automatic
Engine: T
ype: Inline-6
Displacement: 3606 cc
Horsepower: 268 bhp @ 5750 rpm
Torque: 280 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm
Redline: 6400 rpm
Performance:
0-60 mph: 6.0 sec
0-100 mph: 15.1 sec
Quarter Mile: 14.5 sec @ 98 mph
Skidpad: .87g
Top Speed: 155 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph: 120 ft
Slalom Speed: 66.5 mph

____________ 2005 Altima SE-R ____________

Price: New, ~$30,000
Standard Engine 3.5L V6Standard
Transmission: 6 Speed Manual
Horsepower @ RPM 260 @ 5800
Torque @ RPM 250 @ 4400
Curb Weight MT 3279
Curb Weight AT 3316

I couldn't find much info on 0-60/Quarter-mile times as it is so new. I did find one site that quoted the 0-60 as being "<5.3 sec" but that sounds off by at least a second judging the power-to-weight ratio of the car and knowing its a front wheel drive.

As for paper drag racing, it sounds to me not knowing what the final Altima specs are that the MB would probably be the better car all around. More HP/TQ means better roll on power on the freeway like you asked.

However, from the looks of it, the Benz would be nine years older and 20k more for one in good condition with good miles!!

But, I would still buy the Benz as the only Nissan I do like is the Skyline R-33/34 SE-R and an Altima is obviously NOT a Skyline.

The Benz would be more expensive and older, but I would bet that it would still outperform the Altima, not to mention doing it with more style and comfort. M/B make amazing cars and in my opinion very few Japanese makers can come close to melding the performance and luxury that Benz can.

Hope this helps.

Aaron
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 07:00 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1995 E320 Sportline W124

Mercedes C36 AMG:

A wolf in wolf's clothing.

'nuff said.

[:0]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 07:11 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: None

You admit that you couldn't even get close a C36 AMG to look at buying due to their rarity. Perhaps your friend is mistaking it for a C220/C280 and claiming that it was a C36 - or the C36 driver didn't feel the need to prove himself against an Altima that he sees on every other corner all over the city in this day and age of throw-away common cars.

The 1995 C36 with 268 bhp/280 ft-lbs. (1996: 276 bhp/284 ft-lbs.) Vs. The 2004 Altima with 260 bhp/251 ft-lbs.

There's nothing "easy" about passing a car that already outmatches you by 8 bhp/29 lb-ft.(1996: 16 bhp/33 ft-lbs.) Next, taking into account that the Mercedes is JUST 74 lbs. (1996: 233 lbs.) beefier than the Nissan - Keep in mind the auto Nissan would make them almost dead-on in weight, and then I think the Mercedes may form a small advantage against the auto Altima. Overall, I'd have to conclude that it's more than likely that they're VERY matched in acceleration. Now tell your friend to call you when he comes across a real C36 - not a C220 or C280 - or a C36 that wants to bloody his nose a little.

Go with the Nissan if you want a good finance rate during an "emergency" liquidation and if you like plastic.

Go with the Benz if you want to be proud of your car, have a beautiful ride, know that it is a rare vehicle, have a car that's a wolf in sheep's clothing and save over $10,000 in the process.

Just to clarify: I don't like new cars at all - but to be fair, out of all the new cars, Nissan does make some nice cars - but they're not for me. Just bringing up a point that in this day and age people throw things away if they get even slightly out of date and get a new one. This reflects itself in how cars are now-a-days. Funny that the new cars come in so many recyclable materials. LOL

Tory

1990 560SEL - W126
-929 nautical blue metallic & 262 navy blue leather
-58,000 KM (36,200 Miles)
-Euro spec Japanese import (KAT edition)
-Complete service history since new
-5,546cc SOHC 16v V8
-10.0:1 compression
-285 hp@5200 rpm, 324 lb/ft@3750 rpm
-2.65 limited slip diff
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: working on it
(Thread Starter)

I have to clear something up, my friend didnt actually race one, he assumed he could beat it.

And you are all right, the mercedes is not all aboutt speed, although I think from what I read that it is rather quick. I like it mostly for the ride and quality. Speed is somewhat important which is why im getting the C36 rather than the c280. However I would prefer either over the Altima, and my current 1997 I30 Infiniti.

Thanks for all of the help, and when I get the car I will try to update you all on how it performs in comparison to the Altima. That might not be till May though.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in