WSJ: Slide in Mercedes’s Performance … - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 02:39 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: WSJ: Slide in Mercedes’s Performance …

A friend of mine told me some time ago that the reason for the decline in the quality of German cars was that the government heavily subsidised their motor industry. When the wall came down with the poverty of the East they could not afford to do so anymore. So they had to look at reducing costs to maintain profits. I am aware that Porsche went to Japan prior to the 993 being built to look at how and where savings could be achieved. I owned a Porsche garage for a while and the quality difference between the 964 (1989 to 1994) and the 993 (1995 to 1998) was very evident.
My first Merecedes was bought from a friend of a friend. It was a 300 TE 24 with 160,000 miles on the clock, white with blue cloth, no air con. I sold the car to a friend with over 300,000 miles on it and I used to tow quite a bit. The bodywork still looked like new as did the interior. She now lives in France with over 350,000 miles on the clock and the engine, gearbox etc has never been apart. Thats what sold me on Mercedes. I bought a brand new E300 diesel estate in 1998. Lovely car but I thought this will never live for that mileage. Within three months the power steering impeller broke up, the steering got heavy, fixed under warranty. However I was having problems with the self levelling rear suspension. I would be walking back to the car and the rear end would look lop sided and the ride quality had suffered.
I then discovered that the power steering and the self levelling suspension share the same fluid reservoir etc. So in effect the bits from the broken impeller would have found thier way into the self levelling suspension blocking the valves in the shock absorbers hence the problem. I requested that the main dealer flush the whole system out and renew the rear shockabsorbers under warranty which they refused. The best they could do would be to arrange for a quality service engineer from Mercedes to call me some time in the future to discuss the problem and arrange to inspect the car. Three months after I sold the car back to a Mercedes main dealer he wrang.
This is why I own a 1972 300 SEL 6.3, a 1988 560 SEC and a 1995 S Class. They were all properly screwed together back then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 10:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 1990 300E, 2002 ML500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: WSJ: Slide in Mercedes’s Performance …

Well I saw a JD Power side note, I've posted it before so you can search for it, for MY2005 and Mercedes was 4th or 5th from the top of initial quality. Currently own a 1990 300E and a 2002 ML500, while I definately love the 300E more the ML500 is not a bad vehicle at all. Before the ML500 was a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a transmission that fell out and the mechanic said it lasted better then most. As for people that get lemons, I do feel for you, it must suck. As for you people complaining about recalls I must ask what the fuck, personally I love recalls, shows that the company is doing something. I remember Mercedes recalled a power steering hose very soon after the MLs came out saying that it would fail after 20,000 miles, well Mercedes obviously cared enough to recall this before everyone found out, as where Jeep would send out recalls that were only required and didn't care about anything. When shopping for a new SUV we did look at Toyota, regardless of the fact that I hated the dealership, the Toyotas seems nice, but rather uninspired. The Highlander was a nice car, but seriously underpowered and the 4 Runner V8 was fairly nice, but had enough plastic in the interior to use two bottles of Amour All. Not to mention both had more cupholders then would ever be needed. Of all the Japanesse companies Nissan and Subaru are by far my favorites. We did test drive a Pathfinder, which had a very compotent and sporty V6 in it, I definately perferred it to the Toyotas, but all the cars were nice. Oh, almost forgot, the 4 Runners were as much as new ML500s. Mercedes needs improvement, and seems to be trying to do so, it is a long and hard process and will not happen immediately, but I'm not going to throw the towel in yet and I will never completely trust these rating systems because I looked at the ratings for the W124s and they were mediocre and average in most areas, including interior quality over 3-5 years and considering that the interior of the 300E looked better then the Jeeps did when we sold it and the Jeep got about the same rating I must wonder as to the validity to these things. To each their own, buy whatever feels best to you. Just remember that there is a reason people on here bitch about how the old days were the golden days, because Mercedes has heritage that Nissian, Toyota, Honda and Subaru will have to build those. I read an article in MPH magizine on a Subaru 2.5 Legacy GT wagon that they had for a year, when they got it the short throw shifter didn't work, dealer had to install a bolt, the flywheel on the engine soon broke, but they still loved the car, so obviously Japan doesn't have the bulletproof manufacturing, I wonder what would happen here if you guys had to get a new shifter and flywheel, because it seems to me that you bitch and gripe enough about recalls which can be done with more flexibilty then a fucked up flywheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in