Date registered: Sep 2002
Vehicle: 1999 C43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to C43KEN
(Thread Starter)
MB Factory installed trickle charger

Hi Everyone,
Due to a recent cold spell in my area where temps went below (-10 C), my OEM battery on my 1999 C-class didn't have enough juice to allow me to start up the car... In fact, the engine won't even turn when I put the key in the ignition.
Called the Service Dept. and they told me about an OEM factory installed trickle charger for my car... they said that it will automatically keep the battery at a full charge and will not overcharge it... They will do the entire install and all I have to do is plug the thing into a regular outlet in my garage. Here are my questions:
(1) Has any one of you installed this on your MB cars?
(2) I have read on the Net that trickle chargers will shorten the life of the battery... Is this true?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 11:01 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 2004 SLK32 AMG
RE: MB Factory installed trickle charger

Quote:
C43KEN - 1/24/2005 9:37 PM

Hi Everyone,
Due to a recent cold spell in my area where temps went below (-10 C)
Of course that is when I had to be there instead of home in San Diego. I still wouldn't call -10 C (14 F) really cold. Definitely shouldn't cause a problem for a battery that is in good condition.

Quote:
my OEM battery on my 1999 C-class didn't have enough juice to allow me to start up the car... In fact, the engine won't even turn when I put the key in the ignition.
Now, is this the original battery? If it is, it's just time to get a new battery. Six years is a long time for a battery.
If it is a newer battery, are you driving the car on a regular basis or has it been sitting for some time? If you let the car sit for extended periods of time, the battery will discharge because the car will still draw a small amount of current even with everything off. Disconnecting the battery will improve this, but it will still lose charge just sitting there. A trickle charger would take care of that. A true trickle charger that will turn itself off when the battery is fully charged and back on when necessary should not do any damage to a battery. Considering that Vancouver is rarely "extremely" cold, you probably would be better off buying a small unit and use it when you need it instead of having something installed in your car [I've never heard of a device like that...does it come with a block heater?]. Plus many of the units have a jump start mode.

Just remember, if you are driving your car every day or so, long enough to charge the battery, then a trickle charger is not the answer to your problem, a new battery probably is.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 02:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
RE: MB Factory installed trickle charger

I personally don't have a trickle charger in any of my cars, but a friend had them in his 500SL (R129) and 600SEL (W140), since he would store them in the winter (occasionally driving them).

The plug of the SL was in the boot/trunk and looked like a cigarette lighter socket, but I can't remember where it was located in the 140. but they worked.

However I should point out that they did pose a risk if the car was ever rear ended because there would be a spark generated. However I sorted that out by installing a low ampere fuse where the wires for the charger joined the battery, in the event of the slightest fluctuation (overload/ accident) the fuse would blow, saving the car.

Easy[8D]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in