How to stop your diesel from dieseling (190D) - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jan 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How to stop your diesel from dieseling (190D)

Hello MB friends,

I am posting this message as a courtesy to those Merc owners who, like me, would have been delighted to find this tidbit of advice after hours of their car dieseling.

Here’s how to stop the 1895 190D from running on; or dieseling.
For your information my directions relate to sitting in the driver’s seat. I.E. “right of� means toward the right wheel, “behind� means toward the trunk etc.

While standing on the left hand side of the engine compartment with the hood open, look down into the space to the right of the air intake manifold. To find this space, follow the injector lines back to their source. The injector lines are the 4 thin aluminum pipes running into the top of the right side of the engine. At their source is a rectangular box…that is the fuel injector manifold. Above this (I.E. toward the sky) and about 6 inches deep in the engine, is a lever with a horseshoe shaped tab on the front side. Push this tab down. If you can’t reach this tab with your hand, or it is too messy in there, use a pencil or pen. This breaks the vacuum and the car will stop running.

If your car is not dieseling, have a look in there to familiarize yourself with this critical part. If the car is running, this lever is horizontal. If the car is not running, the lever is sloped down toward the front of the car.

My car ran on for 6 hours last fall while I tried in vain to find out how to stop the darn thing. I searched the internet, called CAA roadside assistance (AAA to you 'mericans) and no-one could help me. Finally the CAA telephone help line to tracked down an open Mercedes service center in Vancouver BC at 10pm Toronto time (7pm our west) and they helped me out.

Here's what happened. Apparently my vacuum pump or one of the lines was skeerewd. The vacuum pump assists in many functions of your diesel; from auto-door locks to brakes and fuel delivery. I tried suffocating the air intake, pinching the fuel lines, and stalling it against a wall, and nothing worked. Automatic tranny’s have torque converters that let your car run in “Park� BTW,
The Vancouver Mercedes service guy talked me through it over the phone. So, if anyone reading this knows the Vancouver Mercedes service guys, thank them for me.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: