The "....hi I'm a newbie, I just turned 16 and I drive an SLR McLaren benz" tread - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 12:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1990 300SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to danwatt
RE: The "....hi I'm a newbie, I just turned 16 and I drive an SLR McLaren benz" tread

Buying, paying insurance, gas, etc for an old 81 240D will be more fufilling than driving a new benz on your parents ticket.

And I really wish that most parents didn't buy their kids a car and paying for the expenses while the kid just uses it to drive around with their friends. You can't learn to respect a car when somebody else is paying the bills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 03:59 AM
BenzWorld W140 Host

Date registered: Aug 2003
Vehicle: W140 S 320 L & R129 500SL
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to zeaq Send a message via Yahoo to zeaq
RE: The "....hi I'm a newbie, I just turned 16 and I drive an SLR McLaren benz" tread

Quote:
danwatt - 1/25/2005 2:50 AM

Buying, paying insurance, gas, etc for an old 81 240D will be more fufilling than driving a new benz on your parents ticket.

And I really wish that most parents didn't buy their kids a car and paying for the expenses while the kid just uses it to drive around with their friends. You can't learn to respect a car when somebody else is paying the bills.
Very well said.They just don't know the value of money.All they do is drive without knowing their parents suffer to pay the expenses.

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 06:04 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hmmm,so what if the young man has a Mclaren,does he know who Bruce mcLaren was?,Does he know that AMG even had a McLaren(M6 powered by M-100 [:0]) back in the day? will he ever care?.
I am middle aged,somewhat older than most of the posters i've read here,and i bought my first benz myself when I was 17.a nearly new 108 280SE,Black (040) with Red leather,air con etc.that car then cost twice as much as an average family home,and I bought it by working damn hard .
Since my early teens I've owned over 200 different sorts of cars and today I concentrate on the older mercs,I have 2x109,1x 126,1x123,1x111. and one 109 6.3.There is only one way to get that mcLaren or what ever you think is the car for you,go out and make things happen so you can afford what you want,aint nobody gonna do it for you and so what if the kid is lying,he may not be,but at least he's interested in Mercs and not some generic crap out of Japan.
I tend to encourage guys like him because when i was his age i knew what i wanted and I went and got it.[8D]
Cheers.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 09:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: '86 190E 2.3L

Hey, Im a 17 year old who worked 25 hrs/week my entire summer and fall to buy my own 1986 190E 2.3 L Mercedes (first car), pay for my insurance, and gas(every penny). I think that paying for a person's own things is a step up of responsibility and I hate the stereotypical kids who will live off there parents money to buy cars and such and ruin the images of the hard working people out there.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 09:58 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: S-500
Send a message via AIM to itzezbeinme

ok so i may be priveleged but i still have to pay for gas and insurance. all my parents did was pay for the car (don't read it as if i said them buying the car was nothing) but i do have to pay a lot myself. I work every friday, saturday, and sunday in order to pay for everything, plus i got two moving violations within the past two weeks so i have to pay those off and pay for a higher insurance now :(
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 11:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1990 300SE
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to danwatt

You poor dear.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 05:36 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: SLK55,CayenneS,XKR
back when i was 23years old

back when i was 23years old i would take my uncles Masserati 4200gt coupe for a spin and i really go fast around 140kmh and i would go to parking lots and spin the wheels and drift it was fun but i got bored
now im 26years old my first car is still with me its a 99 ml320 and i got it when i turned 21'bought it with my own money'' when i got my license when i was a 17year old i drove a stupid mercedes benz 'SMART' that had bad aircondition i bought it with my own money and it was second hand i got it for $13,500
LOL irolled it over once [:D][8D]i came out of the car smiling and laughing

Mohammed
07 XKR Coupe'|Ebony
06 SLK55 AMG|Designo Mocha Black
06 Cayenne S|Black
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 06:56 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: CL500, E430, SLK, Subaru...

Don't be too mean on the kids there: thing is, there's a serious side to all this. While we may react to our good fortune and good taste in an adult manner, there are plenty of people out there from traffic cops right through to teachers, bosses, clients and the like who will react very badly indeed to seeing you in your cared-for car.

I used to work with some very rich people, and their children too (hundreds of millions, or more): the topic of how to bring up the rich kids was a sharp one, and much chucked to and fro between the families. One "adventurous" young man managed to have himself banned in perpetuity from the corporate insurance scheme after a specially destructive little outing in dad's 450 SEL 6.9; inbetween that, and the then-current fear of terrorists blowing up VIPs in their cars, lots of these kids wound up in smaller or older vehicles, with a lower profile.

Most of those kids were actually better off for it - not the least because a few of them learned how to read the dipstick and talk to a few mechanics now and again (I am talking here about people for whom riding on a bus to get the car back from the shop was a major adventure...). Honestly, you rich kids: go back to Mom & Dad and say "that's very generous and I love it but can we trade it for something a LITTLE cheaper and a beat-up Miata?"

(two other supporting observations. The guy I know who scores most with the girls drives a deisel Mondeo: and an old pop-star friend of mine had a city house made up of a dingy basement flat, and a looong garden, with a three-storey open-plan spanish style ranch house at the end of the garden. If he liked his conquests in the morning, he'd lead them out of the apartment and through the garden to the hacienda, for breakfast. If he wasn't so keen, he'd show them the front door)

The point is, those who have had it for a while, learn to hide it. You meet a nicer class of person that way.

Steve
London, right in the middle
03 CL500 (Black/Grey, 48k, Comand, 7GTronic, Keyless Go) 302 Bhp
01 E430 (Silver/Black, 112k, Comand, Lingua, 7 seats, tow...) 275 Bhp
97 SLK (40k, Yellowstone, partner's car!) 200 Bhp
03 A210 AMG (Black/Black, 63k, project rescue car) 140 Bhp

...I make that 917 Bhp...!
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 04:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004

Quote:
LondonThing - 1/27/2005 1:56 PM
The point is, those who have had it for a while, learn to hide it. You meet a nicer class of person that way.
More reason not to have a MB as a first car,... at least not a really nice new one.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 02:11 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 1996 S600 (Sebastian), 1999 SLK230 Kompressor (Tie Fighter)

it's not possible to stereotype everyone in any age group. i know middle aged people who don't deserve a finely crafted automobile. if parents can afford to gift their children, then they should also show them how to appreciate said gifts. [8D]

My Stable:
* 1996 S600 "Sebastian"
* 1999 SLK230 Kompressor "Darth's Tie Fighter Toy"
* 1996 C280 (retired)
* 2011 Audi A6 (wife's ride)
* 2008 VW EOS Turbo Hard Top Convertible (retired)
* 2003 Denali (Big Dog)
* 2003 Envoy (totalled!)
* 2000 Saab 93 Turbo (retired)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in