LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I Need YOUR HELP - Should I Buy?????

Always been a dream to own a luxury car. On threshold of buying a E500 but I'm a bit spooked due to the reliability questions I've been reading about. Unfortunately, 2005 info. not out yet and I'm cognizant of the fact that I'm appealing to MB enthusiasts (generally) but I need help in learning whether 2005 is really and truly MUCH better or if the shear experience is a counter-weight to expected reliability problems. Thoughs? Insights?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 09:35 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 1990 190e 2.6 150k
RE: I Need YOUR HELP - Should I Buy?????

if it comes with a warranty, why not?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 12:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004

while looking at the W211 may I also reccommend you take a look at the CLS, mainly because it's a newer design (and personally I think it's better)
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 02:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: 04 G500

Think twice about buying a new model 1st year.
If you are concerned about "issues", I would not recommend a Mercedes-Benz or any other German vehicle.

If I were in your shoes, and I'm planning to lease for 3-4 years, get the Benz.

If you're in it for the long haul, get a Lexus.

I know, I know, it's not a Benz, but it's a lot more reliable.

04' G500 (G-Wagen) Benz (sold) <== we trully miss her.
04' Range Rover <== Traded with an Audemars Piguet RG Royal Oak Montoya =)
07' BMW 750Li <== traded this in, economy is down.
--
10' Acura TL w/ Tech package. (I'm loving this new ride)
09' GL320 BlueTec Black on Black w/ Everything except the grille guard.
08' Gallardo Spyder on HRE's
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 03:30 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: S-500
Send a message via AIM to itzezbeinme

yeah i hear lexus is better in not breakin down over the years and what not.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 07:24 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Vehicle: 10 GLK 350 4Matic
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

As long as you have a warranty or an extended warranty you can pick something better to worry about.

MBZ isn't making cars that will leave you by the side of the road fuming -- just yet. MBZ owners are (rightfully) very picky and the quality is clearly not what it was 10 or more years ago.

Lexus makes a truly fine car with wonderful attention to detail and excellent engineering -- but almost nothing for road feel.

I believe Lexus has the heart and soul of a mid 60's Lincoln Continental. A high quality looker with almost no idea on where the tires end and the road begins.

I've owned both. The Lexus ( an LS400 circa 1990) was beautiful, but totally lacking in soul, road feel, fun to drive quotient, etc.

You have to decide what's more important to you.

Mike

Now: 2010 GLK350 4Matic Then: 2003 C320 4Matic, 2006 E320 CDI, 2000 E320, 1994 E320, 1991 190E, 1985 300D, 1983 300D

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 07:55 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2004
Send a message via Yahoo to lkirchner

Quote:
mjhawkins2346 - 1/24/2005 9:24 PM

As long as you have a warranty or an extended warranty you can pick something better to worry about.

MBZ isn't making cars that will leave you by the side of the road fuming -- just yet. MBZ owners are (rightfully) very picky and the quality is clearly not what it was 10 or more years ago.

Lexus makes a truly fine car with wonderful attention to detail and excellent engineering -- but almost nothing for road feel.

I believe Lexus has the heart and soul of a mid 60's Lincoln Continental. A high quality looker with almost no idea on where the tires end and the road begins.

I've owned both. The Lexus ( an LS400 circa 1990) was beautiful, but totally lacking in soul, road feel, fun to drive quotient, etc.

You have to decide what's more important to you.
[8D]I have owned MB's for longer than most posters on this forum have been alive. I can personally attest to the reliability and quality of the Benz's going down hill. Most recently they are going down an elevator shaft. Last year I purchased 3 cars; a CLK 500, a Lexus SC 430 and an LS 430 Lexus. The LS 430 has the Euro suspension and the lack of road feel and lack of soul have been greatly diminished. The car is not as tight as a Benz but a great improvement over previous Lexi (or Lexuses?). I have 2 other newer MB's but they are AMG's and yes they have road feel. You can feel every pavement irregularity clearly in your a** but these are different cars.
All three of the recently purchased cars have about the same mileage. The CLK has been in the shop 4 times and has recently developed a cracking sound at the base of the windshield that is truly annoying: another trip to the service department to hear that is normal or they all do that. The 2 Lexes autos have been flawless except for the dealers detailing departments that I never wanted to use in the first place but in their "Ultimate Pursuit of Perfection" they insist on washing the car. I truly beliieve that if you don't stop moving you will be washed by their "detailers". Larry, Curly and Moe work there and have used towels made out of 400 grit sanpaper to wipe down the cars. Other than that the cars have been bullet proof and I must say the level of fit and finish and quality of materials used in the interior and throughout the cars makes the MB's look cheap.
I still am amazed that I am even saying this after 36 years of MB ownership. A year ago I would have mud wrestled, had pistol duals at 20 paces, one armed knife fought anyone who would have said I would defend Lexus automobiles. However, as they say life goes on even in the auto industry and better yet sh*t happens.

Lou K
[:0]
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 01:01 AM
ymt
BenzWorld Member

I agree with all you guys said above. But MB is working like crazy to bring quality and reliablity up again. Recent shake-up at the top management of MB attests to that. They are taking this issue extremely seriously. MB has a long history and tradition. I do not think the current trend of low-quality and unreliablity of MB cars will continue forever....I think this is just a bad phase that MB is going through (paying the price for widening its range of cars and merger with Chrysler)....I am confident that MB will get it all sorted out and it will be back again on top soon...

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 01:14 AM
ymt
BenzWorld Member

Mercedes-Benz vs. Lexus

Please check out the following thread for discussions on MB vs. Lexus ....

http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1195811
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 11:24 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Vehicle: 10 GLK 350 4Matic
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I will become impressed with their efforts to improve quality when they step up and admit to their falling off the mark and then offer to help with the costs of repairing the most grevious of the repeated problems.

I know the dealers (stealers) have some lattitude, but if you want them to throw some goodness your way you'd better hope there's an impressive paper trail at that dealership with your name all over it saying "paid".

DC needs to get out in front of this with a proactive campaign to address the glaring issues. Don't have stealth programs at the mercy of a dealer and his moods. That's a non-starter.

Once (as) this confidence erodes, they can't come running up to a buyer and say "Hey, you can trust us again with all your hardearned cash -- really!" The potential buyer has to think, "Where were these people when I was dealing with one of the 50 known problems with my sled? Why didn't they contact me? Why did I have to listen to a dealer saying, "You didn't get your car or your service, or both from me so forget you""
It's sad, but, hey there are many wonderful choices out there in cars with high quality -- that listen to their customers sometimes.....

Now if the Lexus was just 1/2 as much fun to drive, I'd be gone.

Until then, I don't wander far from an extended warranty. The W210 has been pretty good so far though...

Mike

Now: 2010 GLK350 4Matic Then: 2003 C320 4Matic, 2006 E320 CDI, 2000 E320, 1994 E320, 1991 190E, 1985 300D, 1983 300D

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in