post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2005 RENNtech SL600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Read this about 2005 "poor quality" command unit

Is any one else out there just as digusted with the quality of this new command unit? The sound quality is so bad that in order to get any bass or treble on the radio you have to turn both up all the way!! It still lacks on the bass response even with CDs, but not as bad. Sound quality was further dimminished when MB took out the sound shaping control. You know, the "large" room "small" room and "driver optimize" controls. These controls greatly improved the sound by adding or subtracting reverberation to accomodate the small space in the vehicle's cabin. Also, the ability to select preset stations from the steering wheel is no longer an option. This is rediculous since now all you can do is scan with your left thumb until it's sore. Further, the Navigation system is sending me needlessly all around town. The simplest trips down the street are becoming complex highway adventures. I have absolutely no idea why the Nav system programs the routes to destinations that it does, except that the routes are often discombobulated nonsense or simply wrong. And last, the way MB stuffed the 2005 command unit into the dash is horrendus and unacceptable. Absolutely no thought was given as to the final appearance. They just removed all the beautiful wood around the unit and cut it down at the cup holders. It 2005 command unit looks more like an afterthought rather than an integral part of the dash!! MB simply butchered what was once a great looking dash to accomodate this much larger, but lower quality unit. Shame on the engineers at both MB and Harmon Kardon for their absolute arrogance in believing that any of these changes listed above are acceptable. If there are any of you out there that feel equally disgusted by this please call your dealer & MB directly and express it!!!!

Mark
2005 RENNtech SL600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 11:44 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: S-500
Send a message via AIM to itzezbeinme
RE: Read this about 2005 "poor quality" command unit

yeah im pissed at my navigation. i put in an address yesterday and it took me an hour and a half to get to the place through the mountains on a narrow curvy road. Then when i got to the place the highway that I'm so used to seeing and know how to get back home from was right in front of me. I got so pissed at my navigation that i want to change the woman's voice to a man's, at least then it won't be wrong

(it's a joke for those of u takin it seriously about the voice)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 11:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 350 SLK

Quote:
itzezbeinme - 1/22/2005 10:44 AM

yeah im pissed at my navigation. i put in an address yesterday and it took me an hour and a half to get to the place through the mountains on a narrow curvy road. Then when i got to the place the highway that I'm so used to seeing and know how to get back home from was right in front of me. I got so pissed at my navigation that i want to change the woman's voice to a man's, at least then it won't be wrong

(it's a joke for those of u takin it seriously about the voice)
Where are you located?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 08:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: 04 G500

I hate my COMAND system in my W220, here'e my list:

The NAV is SOOOOOOOOOOO innacurate.

You can't search your radio station memory fromt he steering wheel. But you can do this function in a C230 coupe!!?!?!

The processor is slower than an old Apple II computer I used to use back in 1988.

Multitude of errors that I'm afraid to tell my dealer because they won't find it anyway. And if they did, they would replace my Brand New from the factory unit with a Refurbished one. I just say F - It.

Every day I drive my car, I love it because it is a flagship benz, but then I also hate it because it is a flagship benz.

04' G500 (G-Wagen) Benz (sold) <== we trully miss her.
04' Range Rover <== Traded with an Audemars Piguet RG Royal Oak Montoya =)
07' BMW 750Li <== traded this in, economy is down.
--
10' Acura TL w/ Tech package. (I'm loving this new ride)
09' GL320 BlueTec Black on Black w/ Everything except the grille guard.
08' Gallardo Spyder on HRE's
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2005 RENNtech SL600
(Thread Starter)

yes, that's the essence of what I'm trying to say!! I love my car too because it's an SL600 but for that same reason, I hate it, because I should not have to tolerate these sub-standard problems. But the reason I am so disgusted is due to MB's attitude about the problems when I call. They simply do not care!!! They are absolutely arrogant when they tell me they don't see where any of the stuff I mentioned earlier is a problem. They also believe the Nav system is the best in the world and they have no plans to fix it or anything else that has been a concern of many of the members of this forum. MB takes first prize for lack of customer service beyond the dealer level!!!! Congratulations MB, but you won't get my business again until you wake up and fix your low-budjet command system.

Mark
2005 RENNtech SL600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in