Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Slave Cylinder Replacement... Help!

760 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  kurtio 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
I just bought an 82 240d with 160k. Though I never thought I'd by a car on ebay, that is exactly where I got this one. The description sounded great. However, I have discovered that the car has many problems (including a leaking clutch hydraulic system, leaking exhaust manifold, leaking power steering fluid, fungus in the tank, and significant rust around 2 jack points) that were simply not mentioned.

Anyway,I am half-way through the job of replacing the clutch slave cylinder, and have run into a problem. The old unit came out with no problem, but now I can't get the piston of the new part to fit through the hole in the bell housing. It goes in about an inch and then stops.

The haynes manual says that the installation is simply: "the reversal of removal, making sure that the slotted side of the spacer is against the transmission and that the pushrod is correctly seated in the release lever."

I don't know what the release lever is... and I have never done this job before.... Is it normal for there to be resistance when inserting the slave? Should I just push harder?

I have searched this forum and haven't found any pertinent info...
Does anyone have advice for me?

Thanks,
Kurt

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.