post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2003
Vehicle: 2006 CLS500 - Iridium Silver w/ AMG Sportline
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Please help me price my car to sell...

1999 C280 Sport with 54,000 miles. Car is brilliant metallic silver with black leather. The condition is excellent and very much in above average condition. The only two dings in the paint are two, very small dings from stones in the center of the hood and they can ony be seen in certain lights and angles. Outside of that the body is near flawless. The tires are pretty much gone, but I'll be installing new tires for the sale, so please factor that into your pricing estimates. The interior has little to no signs of wear and I've never smoked in the car. Everything works and I have maintenance records as maintained by my local MB dealer. The car is in San Diego CA. I sincerely look forward to your replies.[8D]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 07:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2003
Vehicle: SLK 230
Lifetime Premium Member
RE: Please help me price my car to sell...

$16,000 - 17,000

Did you check the blue book?

www.kbb.com

I Drive Route 4, Southern Maryland's Autobahn.
Slower Traffic Keep Right!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)

Yeah, I checked kbb and edmunds. I just wanted to factor in some feedback from Benzworld members. Thx.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 03:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2003
Vehicle: SLK 230
Lifetime Premium Member

Roger.

Put it on e bay.
Start at 17K and a buy it now for 18K.
Dealer pre owned are going for 19 - 20K.

You have to be somewhere in the middle to sell it to a private with out a warranty.
A 2-3K deduction is fair lacking the warranty.

Good luck,

I Drive Route 4, Southern Maryland's Autobahn.
Slower Traffic Keep Right!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)

Why ebay vs. autotrader.com or my local newspaper? I've looked on ebay, but I have no real experience with how readily people buy there.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 08:35 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: 10 GLK 350 4Matic
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Best bet is to advertise in the local "high-ciculation" paper. I don't remember the SD paper -- is it the Union Tribune?

Put a classy 4 line ad (don't try and fit it in 2 or 3)

Explain your care and the records you have.

Prices are very depressed these days -- very. Cars ( including MBZ) are selling for just above trade in KBB. Anything much above that is a waste of your time. Don't even think about "Private Party Values" way too high.

I bought a very, very clean 2000 E320 for $18,500. The C Class has suffered from poorer resale values than E's.
I recommend the Edmunds Forum for "Real World Values" It is hosted by some very sharp dealers who have been dead on for me three times.

Here's my opinion: Advertise it for $12,500 and take the first serious money for anything over $11,500 and wave goodbye.

This assumes all recent service, records in hand, tires at 75% or better an interior that looks like it's been hovered in and paint that looks garaged and pampered. It sounds like you have that kind of car...

I wish they were worth more too. The good news is your replacement should be a hell of a value too.

Of course you can just keep the car.....

Mike

Now: 2010 GLK350 4Matic Then: 2003 C320 4Matic, 2006 E320 CDI, 2000 E320, 1994 E320, 1991 190E, 1985 300D, 1983 300D

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 04:12 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: '82 380SL+'02 ML320

I ran your car on KBB.com and came in with a trade in of 10550. A couple of things that might help make it easy for the new owner to buy.

1. I like the idea of doing the local paper, trading post, free internet listing, etc.
2. Make it so the new owner won't have to spend one nickel for it to be the best it can be. All records in perfect order. If inspection and smog test are due, go ahead and do them. Heck, even pay to have MB do the vehicle inspection and have the report in hand.
3. Have the title in hand, ready to go, now.
5. Make sure you know what a local lender will do on the car. If someone wants to borrow 100%, you will want to know they can.
6. Price it betweeen private party and trade so you can drop the price under severe negotiating pressure from some the buyer's dad, spouse, or significant other. [:)]

I wish you were local; that sounds like exactly what I need for my daughter. Good Luck.

1974 280 (gone)
1982 380SL (schwarzekatz)
1984 300TDT (why did I get rid of the best one?)
1992 300E (gone and forgotten)
1993 190E (daughter drives)
1994 E320 Wagon (gone and forgotten)
2002 ML320 (thank goodness for extended warranty)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 06:26 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Vehicle: 10 GLK 350 4Matic
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
5thMB1stNew - 1/24/2005 6:12 PM

I ran your car on KBB.com and came in with a trade in of 10550. A couple of things that might help make it easy for the new owner to buy.

1. I like the idea of doing the local paper, trading post, free internet listing, etc.
2. Make it so the new owner won't have to spend one nickel for it to be the best it can be. All records in perfect order. If inspection and smog test are due, go ahead and do them. Heck, even pay to have MB do the vehicle inspection and have the report in hand.
3. Have the title in hand, ready to go, now.
5. Make sure you know what a local lender will do on the car. If someone wants to borrow 100%, you will want to know they can.
6. Price it betweeen private party and trade so you can drop the price under severe negotiating pressure from some the buyer's dad, spouse, or significant other. [:)]

I wish you were local; that sounds like exactly what I need for my daughter. Good Luck.
This is excellent advise ( and the smog cert. is needed prior to sale in Cali) but the trade-in values sound like Virginia rather than SoCal -- which is a little better. It's bad enough, after all.

I don't know where these $16K, $17K, and $18K numbers come from? retail maybe??[:0] You deserve champagne and streamers if you come within shouting distance of $13K. I've seen many people beguiled by private party values too. Your car is nice enough it seems to command this in a strong market in the late Spring. Spring will be here in a few months, but I'm not sure when a strong used car market will be back.
Maybe when they stop making so many cars they have to practically give them away. [:(]

Try this link to the Edmunds.com Forum on Real World Values: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX?50@425.bYUZcs3uJns.0@.ee9c851

Good luck

Mike

Now: 2010 GLK350 4Matic Then: 2003 C320 4Matic, 2006 E320 CDI, 2000 E320, 1994 E320, 1991 190E, 1985 300D, 1983 300D

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in