post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
please help

1981 300SD TD 252365K miles

i have a 300sd and the weather has turned cold, and now my car will not start. ive never had to plug it up and i never worried about putting degel in the tank i always let mercedes profectionals do that, but today my car wont start... most of the time i can just jusp start it with my roommates car and it will get going but it has not started in 2 days. im to the point of buying a new car anyone know what could help fix the problem ? a friend said the fuel may have turned to gel ? what should i do? like i said its sat in the snow for 5 days unstarted over christmas and started fine... why after one one night has it give out on me ? please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 07:35 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 83 300D
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
RE: please help

Two things to look for are a good battery, it takes 100 rpm to start a diesel, and glow plugs, it will only start in warm weather without GPs. Fuel usually is a problem after it is started as there is usually enough in the injector to fire the engine but if you have cranked it a lot and the fuel line is plugged then you might have a problem there. How cold is cold to you? What state are you in? Did you fill up recently? If you plug it in you must wait about 3 hours before you try to start it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

i live in lubbock,tx it has been about 32degrees
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
morgan128 - 1/6/2005 9:06 AM

i live in lubbock,tx it has been about 32degrees
also i dont have a block heater on the car
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 06:59 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 2002 CL 500

make sure your battery is like new and then spray some ether or starting fluid down the intake, when you do this keep the accelerator to the floor so the fuel gets up into the filters and injectors, when it starts to spin let go of pedal about 1500rpm or when engine runs on it's own. good luck.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 07:10 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Please, please, please don't use starting fluid on your diesel. You have a very good chance of blowing up a prechamber and then you're really in deep do do. Read the directions/warnings on the can. Checking the battery as suggested is a good start. If it's over five years old, just replace it. If you've got an ohm meter, you can test the glow plugs in about ten minutes. Good cold glow plugs should read 0.6 ohms. All you need to do is pop off the cover if the glow plug relay on the driver's side fender well and test each glow plug from the connector there. While the cover is off, look at the metal 0strip fuse inside the glow plug relay. It could be bad. You ought to carry a spare with you anyway, so even if it looks good, I'd get another one and keep the old one for a spare in case of emergency. I didn't see any mention of whether or not the glow plug light on the dash was working properly or not. That will help give some indication of where the problem lies. Also, if you haven't had a valve adjustment in the last 15,000 miles, you are way overdue. That could be your problem too. Your car will start without a block heater down to a lot lower than 32 degrees without a block heater and without a jump if everything else is in order. Your fuel gelling should not be the problem because the fuel is all treated for winter use this time of the year.
Good luck.

Len
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 07:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If the fuel in the tank has gelled, It should have had way less than a 1/4 tank. The only time I have known this to happen is in temps well below 0! Try a quart of Kerosene in the tank and use you hand primer to pump the lines. Be sure to glow a couple of times before engaging the starter.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 10:38 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2001 E320 Sport

Hey Morgan, what would you do with your John Deer? I grew up in Floydada, but it's been too many years for me to remember the diesel issues we had on the farm!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 10:54 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 300TE 4-Matic 300GD

Hi Morgan.

You say that "most of the time I can jumpstart with my room-mates car". Are you serious? Do you regularly jump start your car? If so, please stop that at once.

The bad news here is that there is a good chance that your glowplugs are dead. And if theyare , it's going to be your own fault.

When the current lowers, the ampere rises. That means that when the current is low enough, the ampere will be so high, that it kills electronic devices, and sensitive electrical components. Glowplugs are sensitive to low current over time.

If you have to jumpstart your car more than once, someone has not been fullfilling their duty.

Immediately get someone experienced to look at your situation.

Regards

Geir
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in