post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Oct 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to kosty
(Thread Starter)
The right gear... for in-town driving? [automatic trans.]

Anyone leave their automatic tranny in S[lope] while knocking around town? E.g., [in the case of Atlanta, Georgia] lots of small hills; winding roads; traffic lights; speed limits anywhere from 25 to 45 mph?

I'm trying to verify some unconventional wisdom from the following article:

Here are a couple of good quotes:
<blockquote>So what is the harm in using third? Where does it say, “Thou shalt always arrive at the highest gear in the gearbox when driving your car down the road?</blockquote>
<blockquote>If you tried to ride a bicycle with the idea that you have to reach to highest available gear in the lowest amount of time you would soon change your tune, because it is you and not the engine that is having to work harder than is necessary.</blockquote>
In my case, I'm in a 1982 300 Turbo Diesel wagon -- an amazingly tough piece of machinery(!) I picked it up mid-year and haven't yet fixed a broken tachometer -- otherwise I could make up my own mind as to whether or not I'm abusing my engine by taking a little pressure off the transmission. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,

John K.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 04:29 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: Mercedes 1979 280ce
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: The right gear... for in-town driving? [automatic trans.]

Come on over to the W123 forum. To answer your question from a practical perspective, I've been driving around town in S, since 1981 - so far so good [8)]. On my 280E the top recommended speed in S is 55 MPH ( indicated by two dots on speedometer). The Owners Manual explains the manual operation of the automatic transmission and the dots placed on the speedometer, the single dot is the top speed in L and the two dots are the top speed in S. The three dots, are - the top speed in Third Gear, again on my 280E that is 90 miles per hour, your speeds and shift points will be lower on the diesel.

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: