post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
C32 or SLK32?

Hey guys,

I went to check out a 2003 C32 and a 2002 SLK32 today. They both have similar low mileage and asking price is like 1K more for the SLK32. Just wondering what you guys would choose?

Both have their good points so i'm having a tough time deciding. The SLK32 interior is alittle outdated, however the exterior seems more appealing the C32. The C32 however has a better interior, IMO.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 06:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
RE: C32 or SLK32?

You want a fun cabrio/coupe,... SLK.

You want practicality,.... C.

It's all about what you want.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 06:04 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: SL500, CL55, E350, E320
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I think the SLK32 prices will drop fast in the future. If you don't want to lose much, go for the C32.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 08:24 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: CL500, E430, SLK, Subaru...

I agree with Inguyenh; the SLK32 rsiduals suffer because there are tens of thousands of regular SLKs in circulation. The C32 is rarer and more of a stealth drive than the SLK, and there are fewer around to begin with because the price premium is too steep - if you are in the market for a C and you want to go fast the C320 is pretty good to begin with...

Steve
London, right in the middle
03 CL500 (Black/Grey, 48k, Comand, 7GTronic, Keyless Go) 302 Bhp
01 E430 (Silver/Black, 112k, Comand, Lingua, 7 seats, tow...) 275 Bhp
97 SLK (40k, Yellowstone, partner's car!) 200 Bhp
03 A210 AMG (Black/Black, 63k, project rescue car) 140 Bhp

...I make that 917 Bhp...!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 09:23 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 2004 SLK32 AMG

Both are nice cars. You might be right about the interior of the C being a little nicer. Both have strengths and weaknesses there. As for the exterior, I think both for their style of vehicle are very nice. It really comes down to what type of vehicle do you want to drive - just like Storm said. You can't put the top down in the C and you can't fit as much in the SLK.

As for the "residual", all vehicles depreciate, and they do so at remarkably similar rates [on a percentage basis]. There is really no reason to expect the SLK32 to depreciate faster on a percentage basis than the C32. Last time I checked, there were a heck of a lot more C class vehicles out there than R170's. And there just are not that many AMG vehicles of any model to make any of them common. Now I do see more C32's than SLK32's. So, I wouldn't really worry too much about this when making a selection. But you should make sure you are getting a good deal on both cars. Do a carfax and see if you can check service records. Due dilegence and picking what you like best always wins in the end.

Have fun and let us know which one you get.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 06:30 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 83-300D

I have an '01 SLK320 and love it..But I would not take this out in the snow. If the SLK 32 is going to be your primary vehicle then I would go for the C class. The SLK is so much fun in the summer and i bet you will enjoy it alot more than the C class but think about how this car will be used.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
(Thread Starter)

Hey guys,

thanks for your comments. I guess the SLK32 is going for more is because it's more are. There's only ONE SLK32 for sale here in Montreal,Canada. As far as performance? is there a noticeable difference between the C32 and SLK32 (ie. noticable power difference when you press on the gas)?

I will be driving the car in the winter, however, I'm not really worried about that for either cars, as a good pair of winters should be good. On the stormy days, the train will have to do.

Also, which car is prone to more problems? I've heard that the previous-gen SLK models had little problems with their roofs and such.

Thanks again!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 09:14 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2004

This response is completely a personal thing. I would rather have a stick shift instead of an auto. If memory serves me right, I'd rather opt for the one of the non-AMG vehicles, since I believe neither comes with a manual shift. The Manumatic (or whatever MB calls) it is a waste.... IMO it is just better to leave in in Auto.

I have a 2.3LK (Sport coupe though), but I have to assume that the drive train for it and the SLK is pretty much the same. It is a fun little car to drive and I'd think the SLK would be even more of a riot in either 230 or 320 guise.

I do belive you could get an AMG package for them as well (could be wrong here).

Anyhoo - you have some excellent roads around St. Jovite and if you like going for "spirited" drives, I think a manual car would be more involving. Use the money you save on some suspension upgrades and some track time at Tremblant.

The only time an AMG SLK will go faster than a regular SLK (with upgraded suspension) is in a straight line... but that's where the cops hide. [:D]

But then again, you're not me....so go with what makes you happy. Oh and to answer your original question.... if I didn't need the practicality of a sedan.... I'd go for the SLK over the C32.... but to be honest, I'd just buy a Boxster.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 01:07 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 2004 SLK32 AMG

Quote:
MontrealR - 12/24/2004 7:20 AM

Hey guys,

thanks for your comments. I guess the SLK32 is going for more is because it's more are. There's only ONE SLK32 for sale here in Montreal,Canada. As far as performance? is there a noticeable difference between the C32 and SLK32 (ie. noticable power difference when you press on the gas)?
There is a difference but it really is not that much. Nothing that mere mortals would notice in a normal drive.

Quote:
I will be driving the car in the winter, however, I'm not really worried about that for either cars, as a good pair of winters should be good. On the stormy days, the train will have to do.
Most reports on the car with good winter tires on it is that it does just fine. You might want to check out www.slk32.com

Quote:
Also, which car is prone to more problems? I've heard that the previous-gen SLK models had little problems with their roofs and such.
Don't know much about the C in this respect, you might want to check out the specific fora for each. Just remember that on the fora, we like to complain more than compliment. I have heard of relatively few problems with the roof on the SLK. The biggest problem appears to be the peeling dash or center console which can be fixed/replaced under warranty. If you search the R170 forum, you can find several lists of what folks think are the most common problems.

Metastable, you are correct, all AMG's come with only auto trannies. I like the auto and I like the manual/auto mode. Driving a stick really doesn''t do anything for me these days. As far as I know, the AMG package or more correctly the Sport package for the SLK is for appearance only. An SLK230 is not going to keep up with a 32 even if you upgraded the suspension - and don't forget the brakes. The 230 is a nice car but performance-wise, it is not close to the 32. Of course, wanting one over the other is totally a personal choice.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 02:52 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2004

Just for clarification - I meant that with proper suspension, in a corner, the cars (SLK 2.3 or AMG) would be about the same (driver being the main factor). In a straight line.... the AMG would murder the 2.3.... so in terms of what's faster... yes AMG.

However, what I was trying to get at... is for me (again personal thing) I don't get a huge kick out of punching it in a straight line. I like the twisties. So for me, it is a bit of a waste to have all that power in a street car. Plus like I said, I really don't like automatic. At the price you usually find the AMG cars.... a Boxter is in that range..... so that's what I'd get.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in